The Student Room Group

mathematics

2a
(10-6x)dx=1
a

find the two posible vales of a?

can someone plz help me with this. we haven't even done these in class and my teacher expects us to do it for homework...
Original post by hancyk
2a
(10-6x)dx=1
a

can someone plz help me with this. we haven't even done these in class and my teacher expects us to do it for homework...

Do you know how to integrate 10-6x without the limits?
Reply 2
Original post by Matrix123
Do you know how to integrate 10-6x without the limits?

yes but what do i do after that
Original post by hancyk

After that you have to write integrated answer in square brackets with the limits written at the top bottom and right hand side.
You substitute your upper limit into the answer then substitute the lower limit into it. Then you subtract the latter from the former.
As you know this is equal to 1, you can equate this to 1 and solve for a :smile:
Original post by hancyk

You substitute the limits as you normally would and then solve for a. For example:

a
(x) dx=1 ---> [(x^2)/2] (with limits a and 0) = (a^2)/2 - (0^2)/2 = (a^2)/2 = 1 ---> a = 2^(1/2)
Original post by hancyk

Keep finding the definite integral as you would normally, but using a instead of numerical values. If you equate that to 1, then you should be able to form a quadratic in a.
Reply 7
Original post by ineedhelppls123
You substitute the limits as you normally would and then solve for a. For example:

a
(x) dx=1 ---> [(x^2)/2] (with limits a and 0) = (a^2)/2 - (0^2)/2 = (a^2)/2 = 1 ---> a = 2^(1/2)

Original post by Matrix123
After that you have to write integrated answer in square brackets with the limits written at the top bottom and right hand side.
You substitute your upper limit into the answer then substitute the lower limit into it. Then you subtract the latter from the former.
As you know this is equal to 1, you can equate this to 1 and solve for a :smile:

thank you
Reply 8
Original post by hancyk
2a
(10-6x)dx=1
a

10x-3x^2 then sub in 2a and a, take them away, rearrange and solve for a.

Quick Reply

Latest