The Student Room Group

proton nmr - peaks

I think that there are 4 peaks while mark scheme say there is 5...can anyone explains to me how there is 5
Reply 1
Capture.PNG
Reply 2
Five.
The two CH2 groups are different, the two OH groups are very different, the two CH3 groups are the same.

Which did you think were the same?

My guess is the two CH2 groups - one of them is next to a COOH, the other next to a R-C=O
Reply 3
@Pigster
thanks

can you also look this example
Capture.PNG
is there are 6 peaks or 7?

i am confused with CH3 here

RHS= CH3 is attached with CH2 which is attach to C (OH)H
LHS =CH3 is attached to CH2 which is attached to again CH2 .....so they are not same ?
Original post by Qer
@Pigster
thanks

can you also look this example
Capture.PNG
is there are 6 peaks or 7?

i am confused with CH3 here

RHS= CH3 is attached with CH2 which is attach to C (OH)H
LHS =CH3 is attached to CH2 which is attached to again CH2 .....so they are not same ?

There are 7 non-equivalent H atom sites
Reply 5
Original post by charco
There are 7 non-equivalent H atom sites

thanks
Reply 6

I like to personify.

Imagine the C on the left is a house with three H atoms living it in. An H living in that house looks out his front door and down his street. Next door to him, there is another house with two H atoms, next door but one is another house with two H atoms and so on (they have very good eyesight and can see all the way to the other end of the street.

Now, can anyone else tell the same story?

If two people (in different houses) have the same neighbours and next-door neighbours and so on, then they will be in the same environment.
Original post by Pigster
I like to personify.

Imagine the C on the left is a house with three H atoms living it in. An H living in that house looks out his front door and down his street. Next door to him, there is another house with two H atoms, next door but one is another house with two H atoms and so on (they have very good eyesight and can see all the way to the other end of the street.

If two people (in different houses) have the same neighbours and next-door neighbours and so on, then they will be in the same environment.

The Cahn, Ingold, Pigster system of priorities
Reply 8
Original post by Pigster
I like to personify.

thanks
It makes all my doubts clear.....THANK YOU AGAIN

Quick Reply

Latest