The Student Room Group

Will this be enough for gcse?

Hi, I have joined today because I’m wondering whether I will be able to do well in my GCSE’s.
I have started properly revising as of this week eg) writing out notes spending most of night doing it.
Will learning the syllabus and understanding it be enough? Or do I need to do more. Not sure there is anymore but I really don’t know what I’m doing.
My first exams on the 9th May.
If I finish my notes by end of March (making sure I semi understand everything)
Then really learn everything properly by mid April and then start past papers etc will this be enough?
If you did really well in GCSEs how did you revise? I really need tips especially on writing my notes out, how much detail do I need to include?
I really don’t want to do badly in them.
You could do past paper questions too, though maybe start with some much older papers so you can save the newer ones now. Chances are the syllabus has changed but some stuff you could do.
How would you go about learning your notes? Re-reading isn't a viable way. Personally I make notes and then do past paper questions or make flashcards too and use them to learn.
For my notes I tried to make them quite condense-but made sure to keep all the important information and get rid of unnecessary examples. Also it may help that once you finish a topic that you do a couple of practice questions on it to make sure you know the topic well
Reply 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
You could do past paper questions too, though maybe start with some much older papers so you can save the newer ones now. Chances are the syllabus has changed but some stuff you could do.
How would you go about learning your notes? Re-reading isn't a viable way. Personally I make notes and then do past paper questions or make flashcards too and use them to learn.
For my notes I tried to make them quite condense-but made sure to keep all the important information and get rid of unnecessary examples. Also it may help that once you finish a topic that you do a couple of practice questions on it to make sure you know the topic well

Thanks that’s all really helpful. Dyou think it’d be better to make notes on flash cards? Or smaller pieces of paper with each topic on each so I can keep them specific. I will do some past paper questions but I don’t like to do them till I think I know the stuff.
Will knowing and understanding the syllabus be enough for really good grades?
Original post by Belle158
Thanks that’s all really helpful. Dyou think it’d be better to make notes on flash cards? Or smaller pieces of paper with each topic on each so I can keep them specific. I will do some past paper questions but I don’t like to do them till I think I know the stuff.
Will knowing and understanding the syllabus be enough for really good grades?

I guess that's up to you. I tend to make notes in like a notepad and maybe do a topic a page or something(depends on the size of the topic), and then from that create questions I guess and write them on a flashcard. Then I can continuously go back to the flashcards, read the question and work out the answer(good when it's definitions you need to learn or smaller things).
Knowing the syllabus is the bare minimum, being able to apply the knowledge you know to the question you get will help you get top grades. Simply being able to state something doesn't tend to be enough-it's the more complex questions that catch you out. The way to spot this is to do questions though.
Hope some of this helps
Reply 4
I guess that's up to you. I tend to make notes in like a notepad and maybe do a topic a page or something(depends on the size of the topic), and then from that create questions I guess and write them on a flashcard. Then I can continuously go back to the flashcards, read the question and work out the answer(good when it's definitions you need to learn or smaller things).
Knowing the syllabus is the bare minimum, being able to apply the knowledge you know to the question you get will help you get top grades. Simply being able to state something doesn't tend to be enough-it's the more complex questions that catch you out. The way to spot this is to do questions though.
Hope some of this helps

Thanks it really does. I’m just struggling to know how to revise at first and so am writing out all notes be maybe will rewrite on flash cards later on.
I think I have left enough time to be able to rememebr everything and learn it all but I need to make sure I don’t waste my revision.
Thinking of writing detailed specific flash cards and for things like physics ones with all formula out on them etc.
I have subjects like Latin to learn but hopefully if I start now I will know it all. Thankyiu so much for your replies and help :smile:
Reply 5
GURL YOU'LL BE FINE

I did that as well, I finished notes before Easter holidays and then banged out revision in easter and you have a good 3 weeks after Easter as well. \

Good luck!
Thanks it really does. I’m just struggling to know how to revise at first and so am writing out all notes be maybe will rewrite on flash cards later on.
I think I have left enough time to be able to rememebr everything and learn it all but I need to make sure I don’t waste my revision.
Thinking of writing detailed specific flash cards and for things like physics ones with all formula out on them etc.
I have subjects like Latin to learn but hopefully if I start now I will know it all. Thankyiu so much for your replies and help :smile:

Sometimes you have to experiment with different methods, making mind maps can sometimes help-put the topic in the middle and write down everything you know about it around it. Then you could look at your notes and see if you've missed things. They also don't have to be neat and could be binned when you're done. That's another revisions suggestion, I'd experiment around and see what works for you.
Good Luck for your GCSE's!!
idek, Ive finished my notes and ive started learning them this week, idk if itll be enough to achieve my high expectations :/
You have to work out what works for you, but when I was doing GCSEs I wasted a lot of rime writing really detailed notes and making flashcards which didn't help at all. What I do now is skim through a chapter of a textbook, then go back and make very BRIEF notes on things I don't know, and at that point I'll do some reading around it/watch videos to make sure I understand it. The note taking shouldn't take long at all - I've got the whole of AS Physics on 13 pages. Then it's just past papers, and if you do enough over a longish period of time you shouldn't have much to memorise as it will just be second nature, but there will be little bits that you should just sit down and recite until they're stuck in your head as there is a lot to remember, especially for GCSEs. Hope this helps, and I can't emphasise that everyone is different and GCSEs are the PERFECT time to experiment with a few different methods so that you're ready for A-levels :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by dx31
GURL YOU'LL BE FINE

I did that as well, I finished notes before Easter holidays and then banged out revision in easter and you have a good 3 weeks after Easter as well. \

Good luck!

Thanks I hope so!! I’m gonna try flash cards although I’ve not written first part of bio on big pieces of paper so I’ll make sure I know that tonight and go from there!!
Reply 10
Sometimes you have to experiment with different methods, making mind maps can sometimes help-put the topic in the middle and write down everything you know about it around it. Then you could look at your notes and see if you've missed things. They also don't have to be neat and could be binned when you're done. That's another revisions suggestion, I'd experiment around and see what works for you.
Good Luck for your GCSE's!!

I’m gonna. Try all these ideas ty super helpful. Cards and mind maps next :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by sxhxl
idek, Ive finished my notes and ive started learning them this week, idk if itll be enough to achieve my high expectations :/

Well you’re already ahead of me!! I’m sure you’ll do great :smile:
I’m gonna. Try all these ideas ty super helpful. Cards and mind maps next :smile:

Nice! You may find one method works better for one subject, and other methods are better for other ones.
Reply 13
Original post by MathsPhysMind
You have to work out what works for you, but when I was doing GCSEs I wasted a lot of rime writing really detailed notes and making flashcards which didn't help at all. What I do now is skim through a chapter of a textbook, then go back and make very BRIEF notes on things I don't know, and at that point I'll do some reading around it/watch videos to make sure I understand it. The note taking shouldn't take long at all - I've got the whole of AS Physics on 13 pages. Then it's just past papers, and if you do enough over a longish period of time you shouldn't have much to memorise as it will just be second nature, but there will be little bits that you should just sit down and recite until they're stuck in your head as there is a lot to remember, especially for GCSEs. Hope this helps, and I can't emphasise that everyone is different and GCSEs are the PERFECT time to experiment with a few different methods so that you're ready for A-levels :smile:

Thanks very much, this is all very helpful. I am definately worried about wasting time which is why I am going to switch to flash cards and right down all necessary info and specific words and phrases etc without fancy sentences. Formulas for physics maths etc tables for languages :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest