The Student Room Group

Why are girls more cringey and attention seeking online?

People always say girls mature quicker than boys but when it comes to social media I disagree.

Girls:
- sh*t banter online, just comments under memes like 'omg so us!' 'goals'
- change their profile pictures all the time, always some selfie that they've spent ages posing for
- almost every picture of them on instagram is a picture of themselves. them in any cool situation
- uploading 30+ pics in an album every month from a trip or social occasions as if people care
- birthday picture collages and extremely long posts. like they're trying to prove to everyone else how close they are to the birthday girl
- snapchat stories of them lip syncing to songs or stories that are just selfies
- the worst is when they take a billion sc story videos on a night out of them singing to sings and being all posey
- boomerangs of them moving 2 inches
- overediting photos
- treating facebook like linkedin. take it very seriously, changing featured photos and cover pics all the time as if people give a sh*t. they put actual effort into their bios
- uploading photos of them in a snapchat filter. jokes when they try and be subtle by using one of the "beautifying" filters
- lame tinder bios
- majority of the girls on tinder are just using it for an ego boost
- on TSR you can spot girls a mile off. the choice of words, emojis, the exclamation marks

This one is offline but one day when I was in a female friend's uni room, she had a tonne of photos printed out and hung them on string (which is another thing girls seem to be obsessed with) and one of the photos was a selfie of just herself, at home in her bathroom with full face of makeup? like an actual posed selfie she uploaded on instagram? Found it hilarious but also incredibly vain of her. I wish I had asked her about it.

I am aware that not all girls are like this and there are boys who do similar things. But there is a much higher proportion of girls partaking in these activities. Why is that? Why do girls take social media so seriously? Why does it take them longer to grow out of these things?

The pictures I could put down to girls feeling like they can only get validated from their looks and maybe society has told them looks are important in girls. But the rest. Who is to blame for that? Why don't boys do these things as much?

Scroll to see replies

females are wh0res
Sadly, it's because there is a lot of social media pressure on females that is created by male and female celebrities.

Male rappers/singers always talk about a womans beauty in their lyrics.
Female rappers/singers always dress in revealing clothing in their music videos and in their pictures.

This creates the idea in a young females brain that she needs to become like what these celebs are talking about / dressing like, hence females are very insecure about their appearance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
also inb4 any girls say 'it's not that deep'
Reply 4
Original post by TheRealAdam1
Sadly, it's because there is a lot of social media pressure on females that is created by male and female celebrities.

Male rappers/singers always talk about a womans beauty in their lyrics.
Female rappers/singers always dress in revealing clothing in their music videos and in their pictures.

This creates the idea in a young females brain that she needs to become like what these celebs are talking about / dressing like, hence females are very insecure about their appearance.

Yeah I agree with that. Still can't understand the other stuff though.
Why is it female activities get criticised like this? If they enjoy it let them be, it doesn’t effect you either way. You are just as bad for judging them.
Reply 6
Original post by Noodlestudent
Why is it female activities get criticised like this? If they enjoy it let them be, it doesn’t effect you either way. You are just as bad for judging them.

I just want some girls to explain their actions so I can understand better. Maybe then I'll be less judgemental.
Original post by Anonymous
I just want some girls to explain their actions so I can understand better. Maybe then I'll be less judgemental.

Well at least you are trying to understand I suppose. Maybe they enjoy social media, many wouldn’t use it if they didn’t enjoy it. Or maybe it makes them feel better, they can look back at good points in their lives. Some will do it for compliments, but everybody enjoys compliments in real life or online.
Op is a male 100%
People always say girls mature quicker than boys but when it comes to social media I disagree.

Girls:
- change their profile pictures all the time, always some selfie that they've spent ages posing for
- almost every picture of them on instagram is a picture of themselves. them in any cool situation
- uploading 30+ pics in an album every month from a trip or social occasions as if people care
- birthday picture collages and extremely long posts. like they're trying to prove to everyone else how close they are to the birthday girl
- snapchat stories of them lip syncing to songs or stories that are just selfies
- the worst is when they take a billion sc story videos on a night out of them singing to sings and being all posey
- overediting photos
- treating facebook like linkedin. take it very seriously, changing featured photos and cover pics all the time as if people give a sh*t. they put actual effort into their bios
- uploading photos of them in a snapchat filter. jokes when they try and be subtle by using one of the "beautifying" filters
- lame tinder bios
- on TSR you can spot girls a mile off. the choice of words, emojis, the exclamation marks

This one is offline but one day when I was in a female friend's uni room, she had a tonne of photos printed out and hung them on string (which is another thing girls seem to be obsessed with) and one of the photos was a selfie of just herself, at home in her bathroom with full face of makeup? like an actual posed selfie she uploaded on instagram? Found it hilarious but also incredibly vain of her. I wish I had asked her about it.

I am aware that not all girls are like this and there are boys who do similar things. But there is a much higher proportion of girls partaking in these activities. Why is that? Why do girls take social media so seriously? Why does it take them longer to grow out of these things?

The pictures I could put down to girls feeling like they can only get validated from their looks and maybe society has told them looks are important in girls. But the rest. Who is to blame for that? Why don't boys do these things as much?

damnn who hurt u b?
sounds like you would be happier dating guys

dw its 2018 everyone is very accepting
Reply 11
Cutting edge stuff, this.
Why are men so toxic?

Girls:
- overediting photos
- lame tinder bios

You sound jealous. Come, join us—you know you want to 😉
Original post by FairySparkleGirl

What am I jealous of?

Girls:
- overediting photos
- lame tinder bios

I am aware you have acknowledged that not all girls are like that. We are not. But I can't stand it when people make threads like these and then put the "but not everybody" at the bottom. some girls are shy and socially awkward off the internet and the forums give them a space to be them without people necessarily knowing their real identities. and it may be seen as attention seeking, when really we are just trying to be sociable when its difficult to do that normally. we just want to make friends, not demand attention. then again, there are the ones who do it knowingly. but one can generally tell the difference between attention seeking and socializing when lonely.
Original post by FairySparkleGirl

I might. Do you give out free em dashes?
What am I jealous of?

Everything you've listed. You're missing out on the selfie fun. Live a little 😜
Original post by Notoriety
I might. Do you give out free em dashes?

Excellent! Nothing wrong with an em dash.
Original post by getmeoffmyphone
I am aware you have acknowledged that not all girls are like that. We are not. But I can't stand it when people make threads like these and then put the "but not everybody" at the bottom. some girls are shy and socially awkward off the internet and the forums give them a space to be them without people necessarily knowing their real identities. and it may be seen as attention seeking, when really we are just trying to be sociable when its difficult to do that normally. we just want to make friends, not demand attention. then again, there are the ones who do it knowingly. but one can generally tell the difference between attention seeking and socializing when lonely.

I wasn't really talking about TSR and forums, I only just mentioned it at the end because I notice girls using unnecessary emojis and exclamation marks here. I'm talking mostly about girls I have on facebook/snapchat etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending