The Student Room Group

Vet Work Experience Interview?

Morning all,

This afternoon, I have an interview at a local vets for work experience I hope to carry out in May.

It's all very well and good, but I don't really know what they're going to ask, and when I was on the phone to them to arrange this, they told me that they were very selective over who they take on :"o

So uhh
Can y'all give me a heads up on what they may ask?
I'm guessing they'll probably ask why I want to do it with them, why I would be suitable, etc.

I've got quite a lot of experience working with animals under my belt already, including a qualification in animal care that I took during my GCSE years, so I'm not to worried about that, but no previous experience at a vets

Thanks! x
I appreciate that this response is too late for you but I hope your interview went well and that you hear back soon!

I'll reply anyway, in case this thread comes up for anyone in a search and can be of future use.

At some of my work experience interviews (though to be fair, what I experienced may have been better described as an induction), I was asked basic questions, e.g. why I wanted to come, what I had done previously, what year I was in at school. I was told about some of the more 'controversial' things that may be done, for example late termination of pregnancy for animals (especially feral ones) bought in to be spayed, and asked to comment on these too. I was also asked about what I expected to do there (I think she was just gauging my expectations to check I understood there would be a lot of cleaning etc).
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I appreciate that this response is too late for you but I hope your interview went well and that you hear back soon!

I'll reply anyway, in case this thread comes up for anyone in a search and can be of future use.

At some of my work experience interviews (though to be fair, what I experienced may have been better described as an induction), I was asked basic questions, e.g. why I wanted to come, what I had done previously, what year I was in at school. I was told about some of the more 'controversial' things that may be done, for example late termination of pregnancy for animals (especially feral ones) bought in to be spayed, and asked to comment on these too. I was also asked about what I expected to do there (I think she was just gauging my expectations to check I understood there would be a lot of cleaning etc).

thank you for replying c": it went great in the end, apart from the fact that the vet who was with me had to disappear suddenly to help put down a cat or something?
So yeah, that happened

I may as well share my experience too, seeing as it could prove to be useful to someone in the future xD

I went in, and they basically asked me why I wanted to be a vet, what A levels I'm taking, and that was about all.
Then she basically said that I got the place as I was bubbly and enthusiastic, so I would work well with the team :biggrin: so that was easy enough

She then showed me around, explained what I would be doing, then she had to dash off :v

Overall, it went pretty well c: looking forward to going back in May :smile:
Original post by kiindling
thank you for replying c": it went great in the end, apart from the fact that the vet who was with me had to disappear suddenly to help put down a cat or something?
So yeah, that happened

I may as well share my experience too, seeing as it could prove to be useful to someone in the future xD

I went in, and they basically asked me why I wanted to be a vet, what A levels I'm taking, and that was about all.
Then she basically said that I got the place as I was bubbly and enthusiastic, so I would work well with the team :biggrin: so that was easy enough

She then showed me around, explained what I would be doing, then she had to dash off :v

Overall, it went pretty well c: looking forward to going back in May :smile:

I'm glad it went well for you, that's great! Sounds like you made a good impression. Thank you for sharing your experience as well :yep:

Often these things are more of a casual chat/induction than an actual interview. Sometimes people apply to do work experience at vets just because it sounds cool/they like animals/they don't know what else to do, despite having no actual interest to pursue veterinary medicine or nursing, so they might do these sorts of things to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak. Sounds ridiculous but also people who go in to secretly film places often masquerade as work experience students (although this is more of a problem in abattoirs and labs as you can imagine), so sometimes I think it's to weed out people like that!

Roll on May, have fun! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending