The Student Room Group

Taking Latin for GCSEs and being a doctor/engineer

We had the choice between French and Spanish or French and Latin, I hate French and love Spanish so if I had the choice I would choose Spanish and Latin but anyways I want to be an engineer or a doctor and both jobs are linked to Latin but I chose Spanish because I really like it and am good at it and I'm starting to get really worried because I feel like I've made a stupid decision. I could change it because they haven't started Latin yet but I'm really unsure. I also don't get much time to learn it in time for picking GCSEs so I won't even know whether to pick it or not. People have told me I'll benefit more from Spanish in these jobs but I don't believe that. Does anyone have answers?
Original post by idrc
We had the choice between French and Spanish or French and Latin, I hate French and love Spanish so if I had the choice I would choose Spanish and Latin but anyways I want to be an engineer or a doctor and both jobs are linked to Latin but I chose Spanish because I really like it and am good at it and I'm starting to get really worried because I feel like I've made a stupid decision. I could change it because they haven't started Latin yet but I'm really unsure. I also don't get much time to learn it in time for picking GCSEs so I won't even know whether to pick it or not. People have told me I'll benefit more from Spanish in these jobs but I don't believe that. Does anyone have answers?

You don’t need latin to be a doctor or an engineer.
Reply 2
Very few students study Latin and there is no requirement to have studied it to be a doctor or an engineer. Spanish would probably be more useful. (I studied engineering and did do Latin. I don't remember it ever being of the slightest use).
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
You don’t need latin to be a doctor or an engineer.

Original post by Compost
Very few students study Latin and there is no requirement to have studied it to be a doctor or an engineer. Spanish would probably be more useful. (I studied engineering and did do Latin. I don't remember it ever being of the slightest use).

Thanks guys! I needed to hear that lol
As above - the small amount of Latin in medicine is mainly niche stuff that you wouldn't learn at GCSE anyway. On the other hand, both of those careers can be very international and a language could open up possibilities for you. I would definitely do modern languages.
Reply 5
Original post by nexttime
As above - the small amount of Latin in medicine is mainly niche stuff that you wouldn't learn at GCSE anyway. On the other hand, both of those careers can be very international and a language could open up possibilities for you. I would definitely do modern languages.

Thank you I'm sticking with my choice:biggrin:
Original post by idrc

Engineering isn't linked to Latin at all.
These choices do not affect you in the future, unless you consider studying one of the two, or speaking a language, in which cause MFL is better.
Reply 8
Original post by Rohit Joshi
These choices do not affect you in the future, unless you consider studying one of the two, or speaking a language, in which cause MFL is better.

I'm going to study Spanish at GCSEs if that's what you mean and MFL?
Original post by idrc
I'm going to study Spanish at GCSEs if that's what you mean and MFL?

yeah modern foreign language
Reply 10
Stick with a modern language. Spanish is a very widely spoken language so will open a lot of doors for you.
Although languages such as Latin are very interesting, they are dead languages and will likely not be useful to you. I would stick to studying dead languages as a hobby rather than doing qualifications in them, as modern languages are more useful and relevant.

**I so want to start learning Middle English but GCSEs in two months, and I’m also learning 6 modern languages so :////
Reply 11
Original post by Smack
Engineering isn't linked to Latin at all.

Engineering can require programming language and Latin gives you an understand of almost any language.

Original post by hqnnlr
Stick with a modern language. Spanish is a very widely spoken language so will open a lot of doors for you.
Although languages such as Latin are very interesting, they are dead languages and will likely not be useful to you. I would stick to studying dead languages as a hobby rather than doing qualifications in them, as modern languages are more useful and relevant.

**I so want to start learning Middle English but GCSEs in two months, and I’m also learning 6 modern languages so :////

It sounds really hard learning 6 languages at a time so well done. I get mixed up doing French and Spanish :colonhash:
Original post by idrc
Engineering can require programming language and Latin gives you an understand of almost any language.

I don't think that Latin helps much with programming languages.

Quick Reply