The Student Room Group

Did I leave it too late?

Being fully honest today was the first day Ive actually properly 'revised' during my first year of a levels. Due to personal reasons and my college not being able to replace my Psychology teacher after almost 2 terms of having cover after cover I've really been low when it comes to willpower to do almost anything when it comes to education. Im also currently working at a grade C in all 3 of my subjects despite not really trying right now.

So onto the main question... I overheard someone earlier today saying "only 2 months till year 1 exams better crack down on revision" and it put me into panic overdrive. Have i left it too late to try and go for AAA, AAB or even ABB for year 1?
If you put in the effort I don't see why it would be too late, but either way you still will have another year to improve.
If you really want them grades you will put in the effort and get out the results you deserve
Reply 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
If you put in the effort I don't see why it would be too late, but either way you still will have another year to improve.
If you really want them grades you will put in the effort and get out the results you deserve

Starting today im going to try and dedicate majority of my time catching up and revising my subjects to try and get good grades this year. My main concern is someone told me that without good predicted grades i wont be able to apply for unis when i get out of a levels so i need to get good grades in year 1 of a levels otherwise im going to be joining uni a year later then everyone else.
Original post by jageruk
Starting today im going to try and dedicate majority of my time catching up and revising my subjects to try and get good grades this year. My main concern is someone told me that without good predicted grades i wont be able to apply for unis when i get out of a levels so i need to get good grades in year 1 of a levels otherwise im going to be joining uni a year later then everyone else.

It depends on the uni, but even still don't your teachers say what your predicted grades is-i.e. what they think you're capable of rather than what you get now?
Reply 4
It depends on the uni, but even still don't your teachers say what your predicted grades is-i.e. what they think you're capable of rather than what you get now?

From what I understand (keep in mind i could be wrong) the grades you get from your year 1 exams are what gives you your predicted grades which is what you then use to apply for univeristy.
Original post by jageruk
From what I understand (keep in mind i could be wrong) the grades you get from your year 1 exams are what gives you your predicted grades which is what you then use to apply for univeristy.

That may be true, I don't do A-levels so wouldn't know how the predictions work. I know your teachers fill them in though-it makes sense if they use your year 1 exams though as it's easier for them.
Just put in a lot of effort and it'll pay off. Maybe create a schedule too?
Reply 6
That may be true, I don't do A-levels so wouldn't know how the predictions work. I know your teachers fill them in though-it makes sense if they use your year 1 exams though as it's easier for them.
Just put in a lot of effort and it'll pay off. Maybe create a schedule too?

Yea someone recommended that i create a schedule for myself but knowing myself id procrastinate on how my schedule should be and end up not using one anyways ^^'
Original post by jageruk
Yea someone recommended that i create a schedule for myself but knowing myself id procrastinate on how my schedule should be and end up not using one anyways ^^'

That's what I often do. I tend to just make a list of things to get done by the end of the day/week-I find it easier this way than a more rigid schedule. Ever tried that?
Reply 8
That's what I often do. I tend to just make a list of things to get done by the end of the day/week-I find it easier this way than a more rigid schedule. Ever tried that?

I havent actually! Ill try that this week. Do you just set out a goal like 'cover chapter 3 for Psychology'?
I used to dislike schedule's too but I found that making a daily plan is quite useful because yuo remind yourself daily of what you need to do. I bought a 2018 planner and each morning and I fill that particular day with what I hope to achieve by the end of that day and tick the things off as a checklist as I do them. You could try that and see if it works? Also, I would advise you to revise using the specification points for your subjects, although this is a recent method that I've used I have seen improvement because it aids in keeping my work orderly and I also like the fact that I'm following a system(and that everything is in chronological order)! If this fails hope you do find a strategy best suited to you. Oh and one other thing keep your work separate from leisure. I used to play myself by "revising" with my phone right by me. Some may be able to do it but it was just too much of a risk for me as I'd end up going on my phone only 2 minutes of reading. If anything think about the 16th August - results day. What grades do you wanna see on that paper? Use that as a drive to motivate you and don't kid yourself by procrastination. Don't leave work to do for tomorrow when you can do it toda, time waits for no man. You never know it could be that extra 30 minutes that allows you to fully understand a certain concept! Hope it all goes well~!
Original post by jageruk
I havent actually! Ill try that this week. Do you just set out a goal like 'cover chapter 3 for Psychology'?

Yup that's what I do

Quick Reply

Latest