The Student Room Group

Is it too late for me?Can I still get atleast A*AA?

My grades for my last mocks were B for biology and maths and a U for chemistry.Is it possible for me to still do well?My main reason for not doing so well is because I have poor mental health.I feel like it is too late for me and there is no point doing anything about it.I have been struggling quite some time with depression but on waiting list for therapy for couple months as they don't want to prescribe medicine.

I always dreamed of doing medicine and I feel like it is too late for me now I know I have a year and a half till the real exams but I have such big gaps in my knowledge and I revise little because I don't feel good mentally and my school is providing no support despite my parents and doctors writing multiple emails.
You'll be fine.
You have time to catch up easily.
the main concern is the fact that you're almost excusing yourself from working because of mental health issues. dont get me wrong i know exactly what its like, and these two years are your chance to do what you want in life. even then you can do medicine with a foundation year.
But no university is going to allow you in with bad grades because you have issues. idk your circumstances also but if you want to succeed you have to push through it and stay determined.
3-4 months is more than enough time, just stay calm and continue practising. As long as you use your time well revising the topics you struggle with you'll do great. Good luck :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm doing GCSE, so in temrs of a-levels I dont have much clue, but I do want to study the same subjects as you and pursue the same career. You can do this!! I've heard doing past papers is great practice, and some people have left their a-level revision like 2 weeks before exams. Like I said, I'm not one to say I've been there and done that, but revising in small chunks especially pomodoros (25 min study, 5 min break, X4 then a 15 min break) is really useful and keeps me going. The main thing is that you need to stay motivated. Once you have that incentive that pushed you to where you want to go (med school), theres nothing stopping you. I'm so sorry to hear about your health, and the schools lack of input, you will get through this. I've had 2 months off school due to surgery and Ive had to self teach quite a few subjects(not comparing situations in any way, just saying I -kind of- feel what you're going through. there's no point stressing about time, because, 1) its never on your side, and 2) you cant go back in time, so you just have to utilize every second you've got. Get some flashcards, an A3 notepad, and start making mindmaps. Also, if theres a common type of questions that always comes up, try to memorise it as best you can using flashcards. Some other A-level students from experience can probably give you better advice, but I wish you the best of luck.

ps: sorry about the constant spelling errors, my laptop keeps bugging out and not letting me correct anything!
Reply 5
Original post by indie.sxnds
I'm doing GCSE, so in temrs of a-levels I dont have much clue, but I do want to study the same subjects as you and pursue the same career. You can do this!! I've heard doing past papers is great practice, and some people have left their a-level revision like 2 weeks before exams. Like I said, I'm not one to say I've been there and done that, but revising in small chunks especially pomodoros (25 min study, 5 min break, X4 then a 15 min break) is really useful and keeps me going. The main thing is that you need to stay motivated. Once you have that incentive that pushed you to where you want to go (med school), theres nothing stopping you. I'm so sorry to hear about your health, and the schools lack of input, you will get through this. I've had 2 months off school due to surgery and Ive had to self teach quite a few subjects(not comparing situations in any way, just saying I -kind of- feel what you're going through. there's no point stressing about time, because, 1) its never on your side, and 2) you cant go back in time, so you just have to utilize every second you've got. Get some flashcards, an A3 notepad, and start making mindmaps. Also, if theres a common type of questions that always comes up, try to memorise it as best you can using flashcards. Some other A-level students from experience can probably give you better advice, but I wish you the best of luck.

ps: sorry about the constant spelling errors, my laptop keeps bugging out and not letting me correct anything!

Thank you for your reply I received 7A*'s and 3A's for GCSE I had mental health problems then but not as bad I had a bit of motivation then but now I feel like I have nothing left to give.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
My grades for my last mocks were B for biology and maths and a U for chemistry.Is it possible for me to still do well?My main reason for not doing so well is because I have poor mental health.I feel like it is too late for me and there is no point doing anything about it.I have been struggling quite some time with depression but on waiting list for therapy for couple months as they don't want to prescribe medicine.

I always dreamed of doing medicine and I feel like it is too late for me now I know I have a year and a half till the real exams but I have such big gaps in my knowledge and I revise little because I don't feel good mentally and my school is providing no support despite my parents and doctors writing multiple emails.

Just keep revising. 2 B’s is still good! Keep trying.
Reply 7
You have time to catch up easily.
the main concern is the fact that you're almost excusing yourself from working because of mental health issues. dont get me wrong i know exactly what its like, and these two years are your chance to do what you want in life. even then you can do medicine with a foundation year.
But no university is going to allow you in with bad grades because you have issues. idk your circumstances also but if you want to succeed you have to push through it and stay determined.

I don't know know to recover and move on I cannot put myself together.The fact all I ever hear is you have no reason to be sad or you are ungrateful a lot of people have it much worse than you is not very helpful.My psychological pain is sometimes felt physically my body feels very stiff and I feel restless and unable to concentrate.I don't know what to do I cannot move on I have no strength left after 2-3 years of mental health problems.
Thank you for your reply I received 7A*'s and 3A's for GCSE I had mental health problems then but not as bad I had a bit of motivation then but now I feel like I have nothing left to give.

You have so much to give! Med school is so competitive, and you do deserve to be there. The hardships you're faced with right now, will make you a lot stronger in the future. You've got to fight for the place at uni, because if you do, the feeling knowing that you persevered through adversity and got those grades you wanted is, I'm sure an amazing feeling that'll make you say it was all worth it. You've got this. I've got hope in you, you seem so academically able, you can't let these rough times hinder your future! Mental health is so important, more than school, which is why you must take care of yourself, dont work into the ground, but don't not do any work at all, unless you really can't. Health does come first. Why do want to be a doctor? write down exactly why, and stick it up somewhere close to you. And maybe write down a "short term" reason why you revise/study. Like, so you can have that great feeling after getting a concept understood FINALLY or after what seems like years you get that maths question correct lmao. I'll say it again, youve got this!

One day you'll look back, and see how far you've come.
Mental health as I said is just as important as physical health. So the people that say you have reason to be sad are mistaken, and shouldn’t be so judgemental. Those who say you’re ungrateful, make no sense to me, ungrateful for what? Also, people do have it worse than you, but that doesn’t mean you/others shouldn’t acknowledge what you’re going through, because people have it better than you too. I don’t think you’re excusing yourself from working because of mental issues, I think it’s the fact that it’s preventing you from studying. I’m not a psychologist, but i do know that you have to overcome what it is that is causing your health/work to suffer. I wish you the best in your exams, please don’t give up.
Original post by indie.sxnds
Mental health as I said is just as important as physical health. So the people that say you have reason to be sad are mistaken, and shouldn’t be so judgemental. Those who say you’re ungrateful, make no sense to me, ungrateful for what? Also, people do have it worse than you, but that doesn’t mean you/others shouldn’t acknowledge what you’re going through, because people have it better than you too. I don’t think you’re excusing yourself from working because of mental issues, I think it’s the fact that it’s preventing you from studying. I’m not a psychologist, but i do know that you have to overcome what it is that is causing your health/work to suffer. I wish you the best in your exams, please don’t give up.

Thank you very much for your reply your kindness is much appreciated it makes me feel much better that someone knows where I am coming from and seems to be very understanding.
Thank you very much for your reply your kindness is much appreciated it makes me feel much better that someone knows where I am coming from and seems to be very understanding.

I’m glad it did, please feel free to message me any time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending