The Student Room Group

Graphic Design A Level

I read on one of the forums that Graphic Design A Level is a bad subject to do...
But why? It seemed like a fun subject, that's up to date and relevant.

Can anyone tell me why? Have you had any bad experiences? What did you get?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Reply 2
I studied Graphic Design at A level so I can tell you my experience. I came out with an A* an absolutely loved it, however my main hobby is graphic design and it's something I do for fun in my spare time as well as at college so this really makes a difference in what I got out of the course.

I think it really depends what you're looking for in an A level. At my college we had specific studios for graphic design, mac books and the most up to date software ... so obviously facilities weren't lacking. I imagine if I didn't have these things it might not have been such a fun course.

In my personal experience I loved the course, and because of it I'm going to study it at university. However my college never taught me the basics of graphic design i.e photoshop, illustrator or even really any history. They just set us tasks and briefs to achieve, so if you're not self motivated to learn then you won't achieve.

Others may have had bad experiences but mine was very enjoyable. Of course it's very specific to each college and how they teach the subject, but if it's something you're interested in you should definitely look into it.
Reply 3
Original post by Lewis_Jones
I studied Graphic Design at A level so I can tell you my experience. I came out with an A* an absolutely loved it, however my main hobby is graphic design and it's something I do for fun in my spare time as well as at college so this really makes a difference in what I got out of the course.

I think it really depends what you're looking for in an A level. At my college we had specific studios for graphic design, mac books and the most up to date software ... so obviously facilities weren't lacking. I imagine if I didn't have these things it might not have been such a fun course.

In my personal experience I loved the course, and because of it I'm going to study it at university. However my college never taught me the basics of graphic design i.e photoshop, illustrator or even really any history. They just set us tasks and briefs to achieve, so if you're not self motivated to learn then you won't achieve.

Others may have had bad experiences but mine was very enjoyable. Of course it's very specific to each college and how they teach the subject, but if it's something you're interested in you should definitely look into it.

The college I want to attend also seems very well stocked, and has quite a high budget for graphics, and I loved what I saw when I went to visit it! I have absolutely no worries about whether or not I'll enjoy it or do well in it, but I do worry about whether or not universities appreciate it or respect it.
Reply 4
If you're looking to go into an art/design based subject then obviously it will be very useful, however if you're going into an unrelated subject it may not be as useful. However I was always told when choosing my A levels that's it's good to have a balance of academic and creative subjects as it shows you're not just purely an academic person.

At the end of the day it's down to what the uni wants and you can't really predict that without asking them because they usually just list entry requirements, not what type of A levels they are looking for. So as long as you're picking some other strong A levels as well as graphics, I can't see it doing your chances of getting into uni any harm.
I'm doing Graphic Design at the moment and I absoltutely love it! It is my favourite subject but you have to be motivated to work as the coursework accoutns for so much of your grade. I love learning all of the new techniques but I have had to teach myself photoshop from scratch and haven;t been taught anything really. My teachers just give me advice and critique my work to help me improve once a fortnight. With graphics it is really down to the individual.
Original post by Alannah2001
I'm doing Graphic Design at the moment and I absoltutely love it! It is my favourite subject but you have to be motivated to work as the coursework accoutns for so much of your grade. I love learning all of the new techniques but I have had to teach myself photoshop from scratch and haven;t been taught anything really. My teachers just give me advice and critique my work to help me improve once a fortnight. With graphics it is really down to the individual.

What are you studying alongside that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending