The Student Room Group

Herpes

Guys, would you date and stay in a relationship with a girl who has herpes?
Yes.

There are two strains of HSV, the virus that causes cold sores. Most people end up having at least one, typically type 1, and often caught in childhood. If any TSRers have had a facial cold sore, this includes you. Before there was a treatment, the cold sores HSV-2 sometimes produces - most people with it never get any symptoms - were just seen as ordinary boring cold sores. Yes, they were often on or near the genitals, but so what?

In the 1970s, in order to create a bigger market for their treatments, the marketing departments of a couple of pharmaceutical companies came up with the herpes scare: the idea that having any cold sores below the waist was The Worst Possible Thing That Could Happen To You.

This was not long before HIV started killing off people and it's a sign of how effective that marketing was that herpes is still seen as very, very bad. But for most people it's just some occasional cold sores...
I guess it would depend on how serious the couple are.
Reply 3
Original post by unprinted
Yes.

There are two strains of HSV, the virus that causes cold sores. Most people end up having at least one, typically type 1, and often caught in childhood. If any TSRers have had a facial cold sore, this includes you. Before there was a treatment, the cold sores HSV-2 sometimes produces - most people with it never get any symptoms - were just seen as ordinary boring cold sores. Yes, they were often on or near the genitals, but so what?

In the 1970s, in order to create a bigger market for their treatments, the marketing departments of a couple of pharmaceutical companies came up with the herpes scare: the idea that having any cold sores below the waist was The Worst Possible Thing That Could Happen To You.

This was not long before HIV started killing off people and it's a sign of how effective that marketing was that herpes is still seen as very, very bad. But for most people it's just some occasional cold sores...

It's HSV2. I have had complications with it (aseptic meningitis, difficulty passing urine) and the sores are really painful when I have them. It's been a horrible thing for me and I just can't imagine anyone wanting to sleep with me considering the complications it can have.
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
I guess it would depend on how serious the couple are.

So it wouldn't put you off if you were serious?
Original post by Anonymous
It's HSV2. I have had complications with it (aseptic meningitis, difficulty passing urine) and the sores are really painful when I have them. It's been a horrible thing for me and I just can't imagine anyone wanting to sleep with me considering the complications it can have.

Sorry to hear that - you've been unlucky in more than one way. Are you on meds to reduce the frequency?
Reply 6
Original post by unprinted
Sorry to hear that - you've been unlucky in more than one way. Are you on meds to reduce the frequency?

I am not currently but I'm thinking about speaking to my doctor about it.

Quick Reply

Latest