The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Cambridge for maths

I am considering reapplying to Cambridge since I was pooled then rejected, I know what I need to do during the gap year. However I feel like I need to do something during the year, what should I apply for/do?
Otherwise, I was thinking about accepting my offer from Warwick and applying during the first year or doing 3 years then applying for the part 3.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moz4rt
I am considering reapplying to Cambridge since I was pooled then rejected, I know what I need to do during the gap year. However I feel like I need to do something during the year, what should I apply for/do?
Otherwise, I was thinking about accepting my offer from Warwick and applying during the first year or doing 3 years then applying for the part 3.

Cambridge don't accept undergraduate applications from students at other British universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
So what else could I do during the year?
Original post by ageshallnot
Cambridge don't accept undergraduate applications from students at other British universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moz4rt
So what else could I do during the year?

Studying even harder sums?

Did your feedback from Cambridge specify any weaknesses? If so, can you spend time redressing them?
Reply 4
Studying even harder sums?

Did your feedback from Cambridge specify any weaknesses? If so, can you spend time redressing them?

The feedback said that:
-The average person had 8*s at GCSE, but I had only 5 (I don't think this is really an issue)
-My AS grades were fine
-It was the pre interview test that let me down (I knew that I didn't do that well in it even though the questions were not that difficult), and my interview was good.
Original post by moz4rt
The feedback said that:
-The average person had 8*s at GCSE, but I had only 5 (I don't think this is really an issue)
-My AS grades were fine
-It was the pre interview test that let me down (I knew that I didn't do that well in it even though the questions were not that difficult), and my interview was good.

A close decision then.

@Doonesbury might have some specific suggestions.
Reply 6
Original post by moz4rt
The feedback said that:
-My AS grades were fine

How do you know your interview was "good"? Did it say that in the feedback?

I might have missed it, but which course was this for?

A close decision then.

@Doonesbury might have some specific suggestions.

Ta :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury

Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but he said apply for the part III (masters) after his warwick degree and masters degrees are post graduate. You do need a first from any other UK uni though iirc and yeah it's not automatically getting in since the only people who automatically get into part III have a first in part II at Cambridge.
Reply 9
Maths.

I couldn't see the thread title on the app. Doh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
How do you know your interview was "good"? Did it say that in the feedback?

I might have missed it, but which course was this for?

It said that the interviewers were impressed by my determination and that I did well in some areas (I'm not sure what that referred to though), and the course is maths.
Reply 11
Original post by moz4rt
It said that the interviewers were impressed by my determination and that I did well in some areas (I'm not sure what that referred to though), and the course is maths.

"some areas". Hmm...

Are you going to sit STEP II and III anyway? I think the only reason to reapply is if you get 1,1 or better in STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
"some areas". Hmm...

Are you going to sit STEP II and III anyway? I think the only reason to reapply is if you get 1,1 or better in STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to sit STEP 1 and 2, because I don't think I'll be able to get a 1 or a S in STEP 3 right now, would that make it so that I am less likely to get an offer next year?
Reply 13
Original post by moz4rt
I'm going to sit STEP 1 and 2, because I don't think I'll be able to get a 1 or a S in STEP 3 right now,

Perhaps that would have been Cambridge's concern too. Why do you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by black1blade
Yeah but he said apply for the part III (masters) after his warwick degree and masters degrees are post graduate. You do need a first from any other UK uni though iirc and yeah it's not automatically getting in since the only people who automatically get into part III have a first in part II at Cambridge.

The OP also said they were considering applying during their first year at Warwick. That was the part to which I was replying and also why I specified undergraduate.
Reply 15
Perhaps that would have been Cambridge's concern too. Why do you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had to teach myself most of the A2 modules since I chose to do modules (m3, fp3, which led to me having to learn most of c3, c4, fp2, m2 by myself) that my school doesn't offer, which meant that I had less time to prepare for STEP and papers that improve my problem solving skills outside of school.
Reply 16
Original post by moz4rt
I've had to teach myself most of the A2 modules since I chose to do modules (m3, fp3, which led to me having to learn most of c3, c4, fp2, m2 by myself) that my school doesn't offer, which meant that I had less time to prepare for STEP and papers that improve my problem solving skills outside of school.

And did you say this in the SAQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The OP also said they were considering applying during their first year at Warwick. That was the part to which I was replying and also why I specified undergraduate.

Oh yeah cool sorry misinterpreted.
Reply 18
And did you say this in the SAQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only said that I was teaching myself m3, fp3 and that my school doesn't help with STEP papers
Reply 19
Original post by moz4rt
I only said that I was teaching myself m3, fp3 and that my school doesn't help with STEP papers

Ok, so get yourself 1,1 in STEP I and II, and you'll pretty much guarantee yourself another interview, and reasonably likely an offer...

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending