The Student Room Group

Convinced myself none of this is real.

lol nice one theres nothing there haha

Scroll to see replies

Convinced myself none of this is real.

While everything may have come from nothing, we as humans are also incapable of understanding the machinations of the idea of consciousness. For example, for us to realise we are unconscious, we must also be conscious to know. It's like telling a toddler that something is bad - how can they know what is good and what is bad if they haven't experienced the opposite? To understand concioussness we need a base of contrast but since we don't we're just designed not to understand such complex philosophical ideas.

At least that's my opinion, but I think that the answer could change depending on your definition of what consciousness is. :bricks:
Original post by Newtronimus
While everything may have come from nothing, we as humans are also incapable of understanding the machinations of the idea of consciousness. For example, for us to realise we are unconscious, we must also be conscious to know. It's like telling a toddler that something is bad - how can they know what is good and what is bad if they haven't experienced the opposite? To understand concioussness we need a base of contrast but since we don't we're just designed not to understand such complex philosophical ideas.

At least that's my opinion, but I think that the answer could change depending on your definition of what consciousness is. :bricks:

Preach @Newtronimus :congrats: :congrats:
Original post by ReadySalted28

Can you see it now? It says it's waiting approval so no idea if the others can also see it... weird that the title was posted but not the rest
@Newtronimus Whats your thoughts on God. As we know can agree the thread didnt appear on own from nothing- so our belief is someone made this thread and wrote no text (or white text whatever). Then with the universe, the precise organisation in our body- how we operate, react, feelings, thoughts. Animals, the sea, water cycle, water, oxygen... etc. are we able to believe this came from nothing if we cant even say this thread was made by itself. That something is God right, creator of the universe. My op.
Original post by MrMiyagiiiii
Can you see it now? It says it's waiting approval so no idea if the others can also see it... weird that the title was posted but not the rest

I saw it initially but it disappeared for some reason.
Will post it again here seeing as you for some reason can't see the original at the current moment...

Basically, in the past year, for whatever reason, I seem to have talked myself into believing this stupid theory. In all honesty I'm not sure why, or how it's surfaced but it's something I think about every day.

Will try and make it quick - I've basically convinced myself none of this is real. The concept of a consciousness seems impossible to me - I mean, I don't know how to put it in words that you'd understand (At least the way I do in my mind), but looking around, looking at my hands, the room, the outdoors, controlling my own living... thing, all of that stuff just doesn't seem possible.

I mean 22 years ago I wasn't even alive and had absolutely no self awareness, then all of a sudden, conjured up from very little, I'm a complex, self aware, self-conscious being.

Same with the world. Or the universe for that matter. Once upon a time it was absolutely nothing. 0. Zilch. Try and picture that. I mean how does that turn into some big, impossible, thing full of trillions of other things, that are built from trillions of other things.

TL;DR

Long story short, I'm convinced none of this is real, that I'm not real, that the world isn't real. Even that dying isn't real. Not convinced that when I die, everything will go empty, blank and completely gone. Why out of a trillion trillion trillion organisms do I just happen to be born into the most complex life form on the planet, in a time where earth is arguably thriving (Subjective, but when you consider the past I guess it is)

I don't know, it sounds like a stupid thought from a mentally challenger person, but I'm worried how it'll affect me going forward. It's a thought that's grown and grown in my mind as my mind has gotten older and more complex and it's concerning me.

Didn't really type this up for any particular reason other than the fact I thought it'd help to get it out there
@Newtronimus Whats your thoughts on God. As we know can agree the thread didnt appear on own from nothing- so our belief is someone made this thread and wrote no text (or white text whatever). Then with the universe, the precise organisation in our body- how we operate, react, feelings, thoughts. Animals, the sea, water cycle, water, oxygen... etc. are we able to believe this came from nothing if we cant even say this thread was made by itself. That something is God right, creator of the universe. My op.

In terms of belief, right now I'm not exactly sure. God is implied to be many things according to a variety of religious sources but I think that there is a sort of design in our lives. The universe suddenly placing everything in the perfect position, enabling us to be alive at this moment, may have also been based on coincidence and maths. An example of this could be how the Fibonnaci sequence can be seen in a variety of things on Earth - it's called the golden ratio because it is seen as a perfect ratio. Chemical reactions, timings, maths and sequences all come into play here and that's if we're assuming God isn't the designer. Again, the existence of God isn't something we can't physically prove or disprove, remember that the flaws of human nature can allow people to be taken advantage of and others to be corrupted.

Sacred scriptures have been changed countless of time due to human selfishness and I think that because of that, we're not in a good position as to how we can judge the validity of religion.

If only reverse time travel was possible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In terms of belief, right now I'm not exactly sure. God is implied to be many things according to a variety of religious sources but I think that there is a sort of design in our lives. The universe suddenly placing everything in the perfect position, enabling us to be alive at this moment, may have also been based on coincidence and maths. An example of this could be how the Fibonnaci sequence can be seen in a variety of things on Earth - it's called the golden ratio because it is seen as a perfect ratio. Chemical reactions, timings, maths and sequences all come into play here and that's if we're assuming God isn't the designer. Again, the existence of God isn't something we can't physically prove or disprove, remember that the flaws of human nature can allow people to be taken advantage of and others to be corrupted.

Sacred scriptures have been changed countless of time due to human selfishness and I think that because of that, we're not in a good position as to how we can judge the validity of religion.

The weird thing is I've always thought the idea of a god being real was a stupid one, yet the more I think about it and look at everything, it seems to me that a "god" of some sort seems to be the most understandable explanation.

I don't know, this whole thing has been eating away at me recently
Original post by MrMiyagiiiii
The weird thing is I've always thought the idea of a god being real was a stupid one, yet the more I think about it and look at everything, it seems to me that a "god" of some sort seems to be the most understandable explanation.

I don't know, this whole thing has been eating away at me recently

That's what most people conclude with. Thinking God is the answer is because it's a comforting one. Just try and distract yourself with your passions or hobbies, there's no point in dwelling in it. :erm:

It can be argued the entity behind the 'Chemical reactions, timings, maths and sequences' is God too, as well as the Big Bang. There a number of scientific evidence which is stated in the Quran- however scientific advancements took place thousands of years later. The Quran is unchanged, but the Bible is changed. its interesting how everything like you said is in perfect order, pure coincidence?...

But yes time travel would be great lol, but then again for Muslims- fundamental belief is 'believing' -> so it would kinda hinder that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
What do you mean by nothing being real?
Unless you know something that's "real-er" and absolute, you and the world you experience are as real as you can conceive. Anything beyond that would be irrelevant and thus, you can just assume the place we call the universe is as real as can be, whatever that means. :yep:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Nothing is necessarily solid , your table , the sofa , but real though ? If you’re seeing it, why can it not be real to you ? Whether people see it as the same, that is their own perception just like yours . So in a sense what is real to you might not be to others.

You sound like you’ve hit the point of realisation and you’re working more with the unconscious ‘who am I , why am I here’ part of your brain , and the conscious whereas you’re trying to reason with this and make sense . This is great but as noted , there are many levels to conciousness as humans we are not aware of it’s limitations or its realities . I don’t suppose you go through these thoughts when you’re tired do you ? It seems like you’ve hit a deeper level of thinking (usually through meditation or relaxation) but now your brain is freaking out in conscious state because it can’t find the logic , facts, in the daily world we live in.

The concern is , how do you think it’s going to affect you ? Will it stop you doing daily tasks ? Will it make you act differently?

My suggestion is there is a deeper route to this, possibly in a state where you’re trying to find out who you are , what the point of all of this is moreso , using the subconscious part of your brain through relaxation you can manipulate your thoughts; you think it , believe it , feel it. You convinced yourself into it , you control your thoughts convince yourself out of it.

Also how do you know these things are there , if they’re not real ? And why can others see what you see ie, a table is a table to me too , a chair is a chair? And why have to typed out a message to ask people that aren’t real , surely if you dont think anything is real why are you looking for false validation you won’t believe anyway? Definitely conflict in your mind , how do you feel when you consider nothing is real? If you feel happy in general that’s good to hear , but maybe focus on when you feel these thoughts coming and how to distract yourself from them.
That's what most people conclude with. Thinking God is the answer is because it's a comforting one. Just try and distract yourself with your passions or hobbies, there's no point in dwelling in it. :erm:

Here we go...... So this is basically what you saying - "Whatever you do don't think about God, just try and distract yourself, have you got any hobbies or anything which you could distract yourself with, so you're not considering God? Hey what's that over there, look at that instead, there's nothing to see here, honest guv ."
Coming from the guy who can't sleep......
You might find that the world you live in isn't what you first believed too. Is this what's keeping you up all night worrying? Go get some kip.
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
- J.K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
I live by this quote. Even if it's only what I perceive to be there why can't it be real? If you can see/sense something why can't it be real?
Original post by Drummond
Here we go...... So this is basically what you saying - "Whatever you do don't think about God, just try and distract yourself, have you got any hobbies or anything which you could distract yourself with, so you're not considering God? Hey what's that over there, look at that instead, there's nothing to see here, honest guv ."

Well OP's situation wouldn't be helped if he continued to delve further into something that is unanswerable at this point. I'm not saying not to think about God but for OP's situation it doesn't help to.
Honestly try not to think so much you will just get depressed. Its too difficult once you are in.
Reply 19
It can be argued the entity behind the 'Chemical reactions, timings, maths and sequences' is God too, as well as the Big Bang. Well, it could, but first you'd have to show that god exists in the first place. Which no one has yet done.
Therefore to claim that god is the cause of something is meaningless.

There a number of scientific evidence which is stated in the Quran-however scientific advancements took place thousands of years later.
There is nothing "scientific" in the Quran that was not already known at the time it was written.

The Quran is unchanged,
We know that there have been different versions of the Quran, so this is not true. Yes, the message is essentially the same, but the wording has changed.

but the Bible is changed.
Has it? Not any more than the Quran has, as far as I have been able to determine.

Quick Reply

Latest