The Student Room Group

Do you think prisons should be punishment or rehabilitation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mojojojo101
American prisoners do more than menial jobs, they produce thousands of tonnes of military equipment, parts for the automobile, food and textile industries.

You can't see how it may be a conflict of interest for a government (or even worse a private corporation) to be financially benefiting from prisoners?

I consider assembly line work as a menial job.

Yes, prison labour can cause problems, but it doesn't have to cause problems. If a government is merely making enough money that the prison system at best breaks even, then what is there to gain from more prisoners?
Original post by Dheorl
Considering the number of criminals that are reoffenders, I would have said one of the most effective ways of reducing crime is to switch up the prison system...

Do you actually know the reoffending rates of both countries. I'm willing to make a strong bet the answer is no...largely because you wouldn't be making such a comment if you did.

Norway has one of the lowest reoffending rates in the world with 20%.

The UK, however, is really not that far off. We have a reoffending rate of just 25.6%, which is pretty excellent given our circumstances that I outlined above. Why change a system which is already pretty good?

Compare it to the US system, which is awful, at a 76%+ reoffending rate, and suddenly you become more appriciative.

Sources:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/563185/proven-reoffending-2014.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiV9cGniNnZAhUCLMAKHQodAIQQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0vtvRsiIORvuds09q66NjC
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Do you actually know the reoffending rates of both countries. I'm willing to make a strong bet the answer is no...largely because you wouldn't be making such a comment if you did.

Norway has one of the lowest reoffending rates in the world with 20%.

The UK, however, is really not that far off. We have a reoffending rate of just 25.6%, which is pretty excellent given our circumstances that I outlined above. Why change a system which is already pretty good?

Compare it to the US system, which is awful, at a 76%+ reoffending rate, and suddenly you become more appriciative.

Sources:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/563185/proven-reoffending-2014.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiV9cGniNnZAhUCLMAKHQodAIQQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0vtvRsiIORvuds09q66NjC

You're right, reducing the re-offending rate by 20% is completely worthless and shouldn't even be considered :rolleyes:
Original post by Dheorl
You're right, reducing the re-offending rate by 20% is completely worthless and shouldn't even be considered :rolleyes:

You're right, let's spend billions to reduce the rate down to 20, rather than spending more money in education which will help more people, or spending more money on reducing poverty, which will help people. Ya got me, really making a convincing argument for rehabilitation here, which is vastly more expensive than punishment and benefits a limited number of people.

Urg, hate it when people can't admit there just wrong about certain things. Why must you double down when I've not only provided you evidence the current system is good, but also given you better alternatives, both of which you have failed to counter, yet you're still adamant on a pre-concieved notion backed up by nothing.

/rant.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
I consider assembly line work as a menial job.

Yes, prison labour can cause problems, but it doesn't have to cause problems. If a government is merely making enough money that the prison system at best breaks even, then what is there to gain from more prisoners?

You'd have to protect any value coming out of the prison system, so it could only be used to cover costs, even then it would take a huge burden off the national budget if prisons were self sufficient. The conflict of interest would still remain that more prisoners = more cash to play with.

Assuming the system could work as an insulated, publicly owned non-profit though it would still be unnaceptable to me to expect prisoners to work without the full legal protections available to normal workers like sick pay, holiday pay, the right to unionise and there must be no compulsion or incentive to work wrt time served then I think it might be viable... that is hardly a realistic proposition though is it...
Reply 25
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
You're right, let's spend billions to reduce the rate down to 20, rather than spending more money in education which will help more people, or spending more money on reducing poverty, which will help people. Ya got me, really making a convincing argument for rehabilitation here, which is vastly more expensive than punishment and benefits a limited number of people.

Urg, hate it when people can't admit there just wrong about certain things. Why must you double down when I've not only provided you evidence the current system is good, but also given you better alternatives, both of which you have failed to counter, yet you're still adamant on a pre-concieved notion backed up by nothing.

/rant.

Provided evidence that you seemingly haven't actually read, but don't let that stop you ranting.
Reply 26
Original post by mojojojo101
You'd have to protect any value coming out of the prison system, so it could only be used to cover costs, even then it would take a huge burden off the national budget if prisons were self sufficient. The conflict of interest would still remain that more prisoners = more cash to play with.

Assuming the system could work as an insulated, publicly owned non-profit though it would still be unnaceptable to me to expect prisoners to work without the full legal protections available to normal workers like sick pay, holiday pay, the right to unionise and there must be no compulsion or incentive to work wrt time served then I think it might be viable... that is hardly a realistic proposition though is it...

I agree that there should be sick pay etc, and if they flatly refuse to work then you obviously can't physically force someone to be productive, but I personally have no moral issue with making things considerably less comfortable for those who won't, assuming of course as you say it's a sealed system where profits are capped to pay for the prisons.
I've just been released from Police investigation, I've spent the last 3 months - up until just a few days ago - preparing for the worst, a prison sentence. I must have watched every single video appertaining to the UK prison system that I could find, there was a pretty good one by Ross Kemp, a documentary. it really portrays the reality of prison life. Luckily, I got off the hook after the CPS decided there was insufficient evidence to charge. Prison really is hell, you can't be yourself, you're constantly at risk of getting beaten down by crims, or accumulating debt for drugs, it is the worst thing imaginable. I would never have made it.
Prisons should serve the following purposes:

1. Separate dangerous or antisocial people from society.
2. Give convicted criminals time to think about what they did, learn from their wrongdoings, and come out better people.
3. Be a deterrent to potential offenders.

Prisons should therefore be places that aim to rehabilitate offenders, but shouldn't be something to look forward to. It's also important to remember we aren't imprisoning people to take revenge on them. That's not the point. Justice means doing right, and wanting a person to suffer - with no desire to fix them - is not doing right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending