The Student Room Group

Antifa storms King's College London to shut down Sargon of Akkad

Fights broke out when a group of masked anti-fascist protesters stormed a talk by a right wing speaker at King's College London
Demonstrators “violently” forced themselves into the building, throwing smoke bombs and setting off the fire alarm, at the speech by controversial speaker Carl Benjamin, who is also known by his online alter ego Sargon of Akkad
Read more here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/anti-fascist-protesters-kings-college-london-university-antifa-carl-benjamin-alt-right-talk-a8242181.html

They call themselves anti-fascists but they are fascists themselves, the hypocrisy. Btw I have never really watched any of the bloke's videos but regardless Antifa are stupid for doing this at KCL, their organization is nothing but a terrorist organization.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it's conducive to anything good to storm lecture theatres, but from watching videos of this incident, it looks like a guy in a suit is the first person to throw a punch. Also I still can't get my head around why Carl of Swindon calls himself Sargon of Akkad.

But really, you don't change minds by interrupting people, you just make them double down. You change minds by crushing them with facts. Having said that, there is evidence to suggest that rock solid arguments against a view also make people double down, at least in the short term.

Comparing antifa to terrorist organisations in this instance is not helpful, either. I know quite a few people who are or have been actively involved with antifa and they are mainly motivated by making the world a fairer place and feel that words are useless so direct action is the next step. Unfortunately, I frequently disagree with their choice of targets. They're taking aim at what they see to be "low hanging fruit" except isn't even a fruit.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Why aren't they actually fighting Nazis? Benjamin is a centrist, surely? Pointless.
No love for the man as I believe he and his ilk enable the alt right but I don't believe political violence should have been used in this capacity.
KCL should put its money where its mouth is and ensure that it has sufficient security posted at such events to ensure that these elements are kept out, and removed if necessary.

Original post by Manitude

Comparing antifa to terrorist organisations in this instance is not helpful, either. I know quite a few people who are or have been actively involved with antifa and they are mainly motivated by making the world a fairer place and feel that words are useless so direct action is the next step.

It doesn't matter what their motivation is. What they are actually doing is entering what would otherwise be perfectly proper and civilised speaking events for interested students, shouting down the speakers, and ruining everyone's evening. They're entering onto an institution's private property, which has been properly designated for the event at the time it was to take place, with, at the very least, the intention to replace a considered exchange of ideas with thoughtless noise. This is directly comparable to people burning books that they don't agree with, to prevent anyone from engaging with those ideas. They are the worst kind of people.
Pathetic losers. Why do they care so much? Most of them are straight white men, so wtf do they care?

People should just get on with their own lives and not worry about this ****. Except religious figures, and politicians, and the royal family - I mean they're sort of obligated to care lol.
Reply 6
I feel you're giving them far to much credit by a] calling them a terrorist organisation as opposed to just a bunch of masked hoodlums and B] Can we really call them an organisation? More a loose collective of unemployed vegans and yobos with nothing better to do?
All this stuff is coming out of the sociology department at our unis, they spend years waffling about airy-fairy stuff with no practical application in this world and think it is up to them to change it. The frustration at realising their courses are useless in real life makes them resent the system, they are all being duped in order to cough up the dosh for the vice-chancellor to live the life. I hope it never happens next to me, I'd floor one without thinking despite the residual compassion one has to have for them. I don't know the speaker, never heard of him.
(edited 6 years ago)
This thread sounds like a medieval conquest
Original post by GapYaar
This thread sounds like a medieval conquest

That made me laugh
AntiFa are a particularly annoying gaggle of hypocrites. If you're violently disrupting civilised, respectful conversation, all dressed in black, you might want to look in the mirror and ask who's really the bad guy.

The majority of people I see them harassing and assaulting aren't even close to being fascists, for crying out loud. They'll go after anyone who isn't a radical left-winger.

Bunch of idiotic teenage goons.
Sargon of Akkad, I'm sure he's from Lord of the Rings.
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
Why aren't they actually fighting Nazis? Benjamin is a centrist, surely? Pointless.

I don't think you realise the contempt the far-left has always held for the political centre. Centrists are considered even more loathesome than reactionaries in many communist and anarchist circles. They are seen as middling, uncommitting and ones who will eventually drag society down to that of the lowest common denominator.

Reply 13
Original post by Wōden
I don't think you realise the contempt the far-left has always held for the political centre. Centrists are considered even more loathesome than reactionaries in many communist and anarchist circles. They are seen as middling, uncommitting and ones who will eventually drag society down to that of the lowest common denominator.

I suppose. Must be why so few anarchists are interested in Buddhist philosophy, ha.
So I watched the videos of this and it’s the usual antifa stuff.

Faces covered, all in black, assault, stopping free speech of two libertarian centrists by using ironically fascist tactics.

Result = more attention for the speakers, the talk continued elsewhere and loads more subscribers for his YouTube channel.

Well done. 👍
Reply 16
For anyone here who supports anti-fa

Also remember that it is anti-fa who are attacking anyone who talks about Zionism and Jewish power

In other words they're actually fighting Zionist interests and against Palestine

Yet they claim to be fighting for the oppressed... somehow they still see Jews as that despite over 70 years of cleaning of Palestinians.
Original post by Eigon
For anyone here who supports anti-fa

Also remember that it is anti-fa who are attacking anyone who talks about Zionism and Jewish power

In other words they're actually fighting Zionist interests and against Palestine

Yet they claim to be fighting for the oppressed... somehow they still see Jews as that despite over 70 years of cleaning of Palestinians.

When Palestinians stop attacking them Israel will stop having to retaliate. 😂
Useful idiots.
Original post by the bear

here is one of the thugs unmasked:

Incorrectly, I believe That is obviously Tintin, disguised with hair dye and spectacles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending