The Student Room Group

The US will become the biggest Oil producer by 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by floydd223
https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/08/vladimir-putin-1999-russian-apartment-house-bombings-was-putin-responsible/

"All available evidence points to Putin’s complicity in the 1999 apartment-building bombings in Russia. Those who have tried to investigate have been killed off, one by one."

The National Review as a source? Jesus.

What about FSB agents murdering political enemies

It's unfortunate that it has to occur, but those individuals are well-aware of the rules.

and oligarchs funding far right youth groups?

Oligarchs can fund whoever they want; similar to how the West funds extremists in Ukraine.

Saudi Arabia has shown signs of liberalising, moving away from oil, cutting off funding of wahhabism and general progress.

That's a pretty liberal war they're conducting in Yemen.

Russia is a fascist dictatorship.

80% of Russians approve of their government. Slander it as much as you want with your predictable labels, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that you know nothing about Russia save for what the American magazines and BBC tell you.

The fact that you believe that the Russia and Saudi Arabia are comparable really says it all.
Original post by Chucke1992
Nah, nobody cares about liberalism or whatever regime. Common "entitled" folk might think the country is bad because it is not a liberalistic enough (like LGBT rights, minorities etc.) but on the world scale, it doesn't matter - ideology is a tool for masses. The government doesn't really care about minorities or refugees but it brings rating. Also immigrants usually uneducated and religion affected so they are useful for the government and business (low wage workers).

What problem with Russia is unpredictability. Nobody cares about Kosovo, nobody cares about African countries. But North Korea is a danger. The only reason - true reason - it still exists is South Korea - it is too close. Even with China USA could have done something. Russia is too big, has a lot of money and nuclear warheads. West wants to split it - in a controllable manner - and wrap Putin's gang in some Moscow region where it will be harmless. Because if it will be uncontrollable - Yugoslavia case will be a kindergarden.

I never said that liberalising is in itself is a good thing. Saudi Arabia funded 9/11 and helped with trial runs prior to the attack, the WTC bombings is also suspected to be in part helped by them. What liberalisation means is that they no longer see much point in funding terrorist attacks and arent interested in spreading that dangerous ideology is much.

Russia is not unpredictable. Ever since the collapse of the soviet union its been very very clear they want to become a world superpower again. They've interfered and undermined multiple western democracies, funding far right ideologies in hopes that sanctions that have crippled their economy such as the Magnitsky act gets dropped. Calling it unpredictable is pointless, only shows we're prepared to turn a blind eye to it.
The US becoming a global oil producer is a definitely a good thing. Once Mueller finishes his investigation and the truth is revealed, I hope the West hits Russia with so many sanctions that it collapses back into the communist sh*tpile it once was.
Paul is right for leaving the conversation. You're absurd, your defence of Russia suggests that you are unaware of how much of a fascist authoritarian state it is or you do care and you're just defending it.

Either way, you're an idiot.

Oh, it all makes sense now: you're salty because I upset your boyfriend.

You two in that echo chamber... No wonder you both behave like SJWs.
Dispute the article, then we can talk. If that's all you've got, then you're nothing more than a moron.

The burden of proof does not lie on me to dispute your bogus article, it lies on you to provide me with a credible, peer-reviewed source, moron.
Original post by Napp
That's lumping them together...
Anyway aside from russia effectively telling the us to go whistle what makes it so undesirable in your view?

All the usual stuff that is levelled at them, eeek mentioned some earlier in the thread.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Stalin
Oh, it all makes sense now: you're salty because I upset your boyfriend.

You two in that echo chamber... No wonder you both behave like SJWs.

Im not his boyfriend. This seems like the only thing I agree with him on.
What liberalisation means is that they no longer see much point in funding terrorist attacks and arent interested in spreading that dangerous ideology is much.

Terrorism funding will happen whether they tell you that or not. I don't believe you are that naive thinking that liberal governments are some kind of rainbow cities. I mean c'mon...

Russia is not unpredictable. Ever since the collapse of the soviet union its been very very clear they want to become a world superpower again.

Nah, if they wanted they would choose another way - after all you cannot become a superpower if you close most of your factories and rely only on export. I mean c'mon. Russia only exports resources and build guns. The current war in Syria is happening for the sake of resources and european market.

They've interfered and undermined multiple western democracies, funding far right ideologies in hopes that sanctions that have crippled their economy such as the Magnitsky act gets dropped. Calling it unpredictable is pointless, only shows we're prepared to turn a blind eye to it.

Every country is doing that. You can't blame Russia for that. Originally they did not have such abilities - only west had - but now they have too but it doesn't matter. West and Soviets played that game in the past. Though soviets failed due to not following Stalin's ideas. Liberals of that time (Khruschev) sew a seed that later broke the union. It is more about how Russia plays - they simply doesn't have great leadership for that - after all unlike USA - Russia is a essentially a kingdom with sole supreme ruler. It doesn't even has a roman legacy for example. Bandits can predict until tomorrow but not further.

The unpredictability is that - just like with NK - nobody knows what they might want to do tomorrow. Just like with DNR&LNR - Putin almost won..and backfired. Also there is already propaganda about how everybody is enemy and our guns are the best. Add to that closing schools, building churches, muslim extremists around...It will be fun lol

How can anybody take seriously a country where the children of 99% government officials are studying and have property abroad.
We have a joke even about whether the oligarchs will be able to hit the button.
In Kremlin:
- We should attack France!
- Hey, there are my children, my apartments, my villa...
- Ok then USA!
- Hey my son is here, don't you dare...
- Ok, then we attack some russian town.
(edited 6 years ago)
Russia is not unpredictable. Ever since the collapse of the soviet union its been very very clear they want to become a world superpower again.

Clueless analysis.

Putin knows full-well that Russia will never become a superpower. He has stated on numerous occasions that the economies of China, India and the US are light-years ahead of Russia's and their defence spending will always trump Russia's.

They've interfered and undermined multiple western democracies

The U.S. has interfered in every Russian election since 1991.

funding far right ideologies

The West has funded and continues to fund numerous far-right ideological groups and countries.

Here are two to begin with: al-Qaeda and Saudi Arabia.
Reply 49
The US becoming a global oil producer is a definitely a good thing. Once Mueller finishes his investigation and the truth is revealed, I hope the West hits Russia with so many sanctions that it collapses back into the communist sh*tpile it once was.

Yes pissing off the country with the largest collection of nukes is definitely a good idea :rolleyes:
It's written by David Satter. Read it, and dispute it, c*nt.

This is akin to me asking you to dispute an article claiming 'Bush did 9/11 in order to invade Afghanistan and Iraq'.
You're not worth my time.

FSB agents were caught planting another bomb, a senior official was caught speaking about the attack before it happened and everyone involved in the subsequent investigation was killed including a british secret service consultant and you still think this is a valid comparison. **** off you russian pile of ****.

Source, big boy.
Reply 53

Oh yeah, a statement by a well known hawk (warmonger)
Not to mention why would a source by the us be more credible than a Russian source, out of the two on a scale of lying to the public russia is a minnow compared to the us being a blue whale.
Reply 54
This was a speech made to the senate. You dont make up stuff on the senate floor. That's a pretty reliable source, given it was not dismissed or publicly redacted.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/mar/12/chechnya.johnsweeney

I've already shown the article from David Setter.

Though, given you're stupid enough to think information from the russian state is more reliable than the US, I dont think theres much point in engaging in a conversation with you. Im simply doing this for other readers of the thread who wont be fooled by delusional idiots like you.

Lol I think you'll find that they do kid. Everybody lies, politicians more than most, with american ones right at the top of it.
Thats nice, why are you sending me this article, i'm not sure what it has to do with this?
What I said was the Americans tell far more lies than the Russians which 'if you're stupid enough to think' they don't is really very cute. It shows you don't have an idea about what you're talking about and know nothing about how states operate bar what you'd like to assume.
Ah how i almost envy you in your blissfully ignorant little bubble.
Reply 55
I never said that liberalising is in itself is a good thing. Saudi Arabia funded 9/11 and helped with trial runs prior to the attack, the WTC bombings is also suspected to be in part helped by them. What liberalisation means is that they no longer see much point in funding terrorist attacks and arent interested in spreading that dangerous ideology is much.

Russia is not unpredictable. Ever since the collapse of the soviet union its been very very clear they want to become a world superpower again. They've interfered and undermined multiple western democracies, funding far right ideologies in hopes that sanctions that have crippled their economy such as the Magnitsky act gets dropped. Calling it unpredictable is pointless, only shows we're prepared to turn a blind eye to it.

1] That act targets individuals not the government so i fail to see how it has 'crippled their economy'
2] Russia has more or less no trade worth a damn with the US any way
3] Global oil prices crashing crippled their economy, sanctions by all accounts have had little more than an irritating effect and have been positively beneficial for domestic industries.
Original post by Napp
1] That act targets individuals not the government so i fail to see how it has 'crippled their economy'
2] Russia has more or less no trade worth a damn with the US any way
3] Global oil prices crashing crippled their economy, sanctions by all accounts have had little more than an irritating effect and have been positively beneficial for domestic industries.

I’m not arguing his point but if proper sanctions were placed they would crumble, that’s how the USSR was brought down
Reply 57
Original post by paul514
I’m not arguing his point but if proper sanctions were placed they would crumble, that’s how the USSR was brought down

Potentially but that is deeply unlikely to be doable - The Europeans would likely simply tell the Americans to piss off in that instance. Why would they wish to lose tens if no hundreds of billions of euros in trade due to some irrelevant spat across the pond?
Equally i'm not certain we should draw too many parallels between the former USSR and modern Russia, whilst there are indeed certain similarities between the two they are now fairly different entities in this context.
Original post by Napp
Potentially but that is deeply unlikely to be doable - The Europeans would likely simply tell the Americans to piss off in that instance. Why would they wish to lose tens if no hundreds of billions of euros in trade due to some irrelevant spat across the pond?
Equally i'm not certain we should draw too many parallels between the former USSR and modern Russia, whilst there are indeed certain similarities between the two they are now fairly different entities in this context.

Yes they are less significant now.

Their economy however hasn’t diversified much with way too much reliance on selling fossil fuels
Reply 59
Original post by paul514
Yes they are less significant now.

Their economy however hasn’t diversified much with way too much reliance on selling fossil fuels

Indeed so. With that being said theyre one of the most 'respected' arms exporters in the world and pioneers in every evil technology you care to mention.

Also as an interesting side note if we were to use PPP as the metric for ranking countries they're actually one of the best - several notches above Britain at any rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending