The Student Room Group

I have been declined by the royal navy because of asthma, what do i do???

I really don't wan't to go the sixth form or college and there are no apprenticeships nearby that i can do and all I wanted to do was join the royal navy but because of stupid asthma (which isn't even that bad) I now cannot do what was best.
any help
What role was you going to apply for in the Royal Navy maybe do something similar? Normally it's for your own good and there isn't much point trying to join other armed forces because they will probably reject you. Can't you join the sea cadets?
I'm already in sea cadets and I'm finishing secondary school and i want to join the navy but i think that if i get the doctor to remove the inhalers i can join the RAF
I don't know if you should remove the inhalers. Try the army because I've heard that they do accept people who have asthma. Just be careful full if you are going to remove the inhalers because you don't want to be having an asthma attack whilst on duty or anything. Read up on it first. I know someone who tried to join the RAF and they said that he couldn't do it because of is asthma. just think of what could triggers your asthma and make it a lot worse.
Original post by TheDevil
I don't know if you should remove the inhalers. Try the army because I've heard that they do accept people who have asthma. Just be careful full if you are going to remove the inhalers because you don't want to be having an asthma attack whilst on duty or anything. Read up on it first. I know someone who tried to join the RAF and they said that he couldn't do it because of is asthma. just think of what could triggers your asthma and make it a lot worse.
i
t had an asthma attack for years and years
i haven't had an asthma attack for years and years
I'm pretty sure you can't just stop taking your medication and remove an asthma diagnosis. You'll still have the diagnosis on your record if you don't take medication.
Original post by willeyeam2002
I really don't wan't to go the sixth form or college and there are no apprenticeships nearby that i can do and all I wanted to do was join the royal navy but because of stupid asthma (which isn't even that bad) I now cannot do what was best.
any help

Moved to Armed Forces
yeah what I'm saying is that I've never had an asthma attack and I'm fine and it may just have been a viral infection
yeah what I'm saying is that I've never had an asthma attack and I'm fine and it may just have been a viral infection

If you haven't had any asthmatic symptoms for a few years go see you GP to have that written on your medical history.
I will book an appointment and get stuff changed.
do you thing I could make a medical appeal
I will book an appointment and get stuff changed.
do you thing I could make a medical appeal

If you can prove that the asthma diagnosis was incorrect, you have a chance.

If you can't get a doctor to agree that, then no.
I reckon it was a chest infection as it was a while ago amd I haven't used the inhalers
any help

You have to be 4 years clear of any symptoms, treatment and prescriptions of inhalers. If you fulfill that criteria you have a chance of passing medical, if you don't, they won't let you in.
You need to be 4 years clear of asthma to pass the medical, however if you can prove it was misdiagnosis then you might have a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest