The Student Room Group

Leaving HNC (bereavement), fee advice?

I’m thinking of leaving my HNC level art course (Scotland), it’s a two year HND and I'm in the first year. Late last year my grandmother who I’m extremely close to got diagnosed with cancer, and she past last week. I also have two other close relatives who are seriously ill at the moment. It’s really taken a toll on my mental health and concentration/motivation in college, so I’d really like to leave.

My question is about fees/student load. SAAS is paying my fees and I also took out a student loan. If I left my course now, would I have to pay back my tuition fee right away, and would the student loan still have to be paid only once I’m employed and earning over £17,000?

TLDR : Leaving course due to bereavement, what do I need to pay to SAAS?

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ughhghghg
I’m thinking of leaving my HNC level art course (Scotland), it’s a two year HND and I'm in the first year. Late last year my grandmother who I’m extremely close to got diagnosed with cancer, and she past last week. I also have two other close relatives who are seriously ill at the moment. It’s really taken a toll on my mental health and concentration/motivation in college, so I’d really like to leave.

My question is about fees/student load. SAAS is paying my fees and I also took out a student loan. If I left my course now, would I have to pay back my tuition fee right away, and would the student loan still have to be paid only once I’m employed and earnin over £17,000?

TLDR : Leaving course due to bereavement, what do I need to pay to SAAS?

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Nope. Normal student debt it's not repayable till you are earning over £17,750 (I think thats the SAAS threshold) and them its 9% of the excess.

I would recommend going to see your GP and telling them your problem with coping and how its affected you plus you think the best course of action is to leave . They can write a letter confirming it meets with their recommendation as well.

You can use that for the uni and with SAAS later on.

You get a gift year so you will still have funding in the future for a full degree.

ps that is for fees, but as for yur grant then you may have to make a repayment for what they call overpayment. i,e if they pay you for a term and you leave halfway through and cease to be a student, then they can ask for immediate repayment. Not to worry as they have some discretion and you can make them an offer plus repayment plan of say £nothing or £10-20 a month. Just talk to SAAS.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Nope. Normal student debt it's not repayable till you are earning over £17,750 (I think thats the SAAS threshold) and them its 9% of the excess.

I would recommend going to see your GP and telling them your problem with coping and how its affected you plus you think the best course of action is to leave . They can write a letter confirming it meets with their recommendation as well.

You can use that for the uni and with SAAS later on.

You get a gift year so you will still have funding in the future for a full degree.

ps that is for fees, but as for yur grant then you may have to make a repayment for what they call overpayment. i,e if they pay you for a term and you leave halfway through and cease to be a student, then they can ask for immediate repayment. Not to worry as they have some discretion and you can make them an offer plus repayment plan of say £nothing or £10-20 a month. Just talk to SAAS.

Thank you, that helps a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending