The Student Room Group

Can you get into Sixth Form With a Grade 3 in Maths

I was going to retake it a Private Exam Centre however i cannot afford the cost and to be honest i am not that confident that i will Pass or do better.Is their anyway Sixth Forms will let you in, with a view to retaking it in November ? When the Grade Boundaries are slightly lower and normally you will get Maths Mentoring from September to the Date of the resit ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got into my sixth form with a 3 in maths. But we did have to have at least 5 GCSES. This was for my sixth form, it may be different for others.
Original post by Ty457
I was going to retake it a Private Exam Centre however i cannot afford the cost and to be honest i am not that confident that i will Pass or do better.Is their anyway Sixth Forms will let you in, with a view to retaking it in November ? When the Grade Boundaries are slightly lower and normally you will get Maths Mentoring from September to the Date of the resit ?

If you’re doing courses that don’t specifically require a certain grade in Maths - Then yes, you can still be accepted provided you resit.

That being said, some sixth forms might explicitly ask for anywhere between 5 and 8 GCSE’s grade A*-C (9-4), with a C (4-5) In English and Maths. So, check with your sixth form.
Reply 3
Original post by B.R.L
I got into my sixth form with a 3 in maths. But we did have to have at least 5 GCSES. This was for my sixth form, it may be different for others.

Well they have stated on their website at least a Grade 5 for A Levels and a College Registar at the Sixth Form emailed at least a Grade 4 to proceed to Level 3 Courses.
Reply 4
Original post by FloralHybrid
If you’re doing courses that don’t specifically require a certain grade in Maths - Then yes, you can still be accepted provided you resit.

That being said, some sixth forms might explicitly ask for anywhere between 5 and 8 GCSE’s grade A*-C (9-4), with a C (4-5) In English and Maths. So, check with your sixth form.

To be honest i am shite at Maths,weakest area by far.Plus i had to do the Foundation version which mean i had to get 60% on every paper to get at least a Grade 4.I just dont think i'll ever pass it,i was emailed at least a Grade 4 in Maths for Level 3 Courses by a college registar at the Sixth Form.My best shot is persuading them to give me a chance to resit in November,i could resit as a private candidate but the money involved and me likely failing again is not worth the risk
Original post by Ty457
To be honest i am shite at Maths,weakest area by far.Plus i had to do the Foundation version which mean i had to get 60% on every paper to get at least a Grade 4.I just dont think i'll ever pass it,i was emailed at least a Grade 4 in Maths for Level 3 Courses by a college registar at the Sixth Form.My best shot is persuading them to give me a chance to resit in November,i could resit as a private candidate but the money involved and me likely failing again is not worth the risk

If you want to continue to higher education (Both sixth form and university) then resitting maths each year until you achieve a grade 4/5 is unfortunately neccessary!

I’d recommend getting a tutor if it’s affordable, or using textbooks, online videos etc. To keep you going, natural lack of ability in maths doesn’t mean you can’t pass it and get it out of the way!
Reply 6
Original post by FloralHybrid
If you want to continue to higher education (Both sixth form and university) then resitting maths each year until you achieve a grade 4/5 is unfortunately neccessary!

I’d recommend getting a tutor if it’s affordable, or using textbooks, online videos etc. To keep you going, natural lack of ability in maths doesn’t mean you can’t pass it and get it out of the way!

But i need to pass it ASAP.I am close to being 17.Sixth Forms are Age Restricted.If i fail as a Private Candidate i cant just keep Paying for resits,as the costs are so high.If i fail in May at a Private Exam Centre what do i do then ?
back again huh , how things this time
Reply 8
Original post by Ray_Shadows
back again huh , how things this time

Still not that better mate,wish i could just drop dead,but sadly thats not gonna happen.I have made progress,in these last couple of days,got a Maths Resit at a private centre however now the problem is i cannot get a reference from my previous school.Emailed them so many times,and still no response
Original post by Ty457
Still not that better mate,wish i could just drop dead,but sadly thats not gonna happen.I have made progress,in these last couple of days,got a Maths Resit at a private centre however now the problem is i cannot get a reference from my previous school.Emailed them so many times,and still no response

can you not go straight to the school or phone them up , the worse thing about email is that the person on the other end will always use the excuse "oh i didn't see it" or "i go through thousand emails a day so i must of missed yours" best thing is to phone them
Reply 10
can you not go straight to the school or phone them up , the worse thing about email is that the person on the other end will always use the excuse "oh i didn't see it" or "i go through thousand emails a day so i must of missed yours" best thing is to phone them

That's one problem,i'm scared also i'm going to fail the retake,and knowing i'm a year behind my age group and losing all my school friends will just make everything more distressing,i will literally be a stranger.
Original post by Ty457
That's one problem,i'm scared also i'm going to fail the retake,and knowing i'm a year behind my age group and losing all my school friends will just make everything more distressing,i will literally be a stranger.

i swear you have to retake maths gcse for free if you fail , isn't that against the law for schools to refuse u to retake
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
i swear you have to retake maths gcse for free if you fail , isn't that against the law for schools to refuse u to retake

I have no idea how it works... All i know is you cant get into a Sixth Form and do A Levels unless you get a Grade 4 at Maths.This was the only option,i blowed out £235 on a Retake
Original post by Ty457
I have no idea how it works... All i know is you cant get into a Sixth Form and do A Levels unless you get a Grade 4 at Maths.This was the only option,i blowed out £235 on a Retake

bro what , i'm retaking maths (already passed it but i need to get an A to help with my application since i got a B , first time) and i only paid £36.50

plus it should be free for you m i sure hope you haven't payed for it because that is an absolute rip of

walk up to the ****ing school at tell them according to law i am obliged to have a free ****ing retake
Reply 14
bro what , i'm retaking maths (already passed it but i need to get an A to help with my application since i got a B , first time) and i only paid £36.50

plus it should be free for you m i sure hope you haven't payed for it because that is an absolute rip of

walk up to the ****ing school at tell them according to law i am obliged to have a free ****ing retake

I had to go to a Private Exam Centre.Where in the Law does it say i am obliged to a free resit ? I am currently not at a School/Sixth Form or College.£235 is a rip off,but i have paid it and i dont know where else i could've gone...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ty457
I had to go to a Private Exam Centre.Where in the Law does it say i am obliged to a free resit ? I am currently not at a School/Sixth Form or College.£235 is a rip off,but i have paid it and i dont know where else i could've gone...

well gl then , but just so you know about 98% of places would of let u done it for free
Reply 16
well gl then , but just so you know about 98% of places would of let u done it for free

Where though ? I live in London i tried to ring up schools and colleges all of them said they dont accept external students.This is the only option i had...Sixth Forms werent accepting me without a 4 in Maths
Original post by Ty457
Where though ? I live in London i tried to ring up schools and colleges all of them said they dont accept external students.This is the only option i had...Sixth Forms werent accepting me without a 4 in Maths

yehh we've had this thing before , and i don't know anything about how schools work in london , so just gl
Reply 18
yehh we've had this thing before , and i don't know anything about how schools work in london , so just gl

You just said 98% of places
Would've let me done it for free,give me examples....
Original post by Ty457
You just said 98% of places
Would've let me done it for free,give me examples....

i mean it's kind of obvious isn't it , ask anyone on this site "do colleges let you retake maths for free if you failed it" chances are they're gonna say yes

i think u got scammed bro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending