The Student Room Group

Is anyone else not bothered by cat calling?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
I was pretty surprised too....

The girl seemed to really like it though [she had a big smile and her face and quickly alerted her friend what was happening (the friend didn't notice)]

I'm thinking it may have been the first time she got cat called or something. I can't imagine a woman in her 20's reacting like that to it...

Yeah, that is a point! but still a little sick imo
Original post by Anonymous
If someone cat calls me I'm flattered and just give them a cheeky smile, or pretend I didn't notice because I don't want to assume they're talking to me. I think the only time I'd probably genuinely feel uncomfortable is if I was walking home alone at night or if it was a seemingly creepy guy. But generally during the day it's pretty harmless and it puts a spring in my step to be honest. Do girls actually feel uncomfortable when it's just a builder or a random guy on the street in the daytime? Is it fine if the person is good looking?
Same with messages online, I'll always just take it as a compliment.

I quite like that guys go out of their way to compliment. Girls don't do it to guys as much. I personally can't imagine having the balls to cat call a guy but I don't think it would be a horrible thing to do. I'll admit some comments are nicer to receive than others but they're all still pretty great to hear deep down. I know some people see it as intimidation but I don't really. In that moment I don't feel any lower than them, quite the opposite. I suppose the only time it feels a bit awkward if it's in a really public place like on the train where everyone can see the interaction. But even then it's not a big deal.
Obviously if someone said something like 'nice flaps' I wouldn't take it as an amazing compliment but I'd find it quite funny.

It's never really bothered me tbh, it's a bit creepy late at night but so long as they're not trying to approach me or anything I'm not usually bothered. It does make you feel better about yourself.
Original post by Anonymous
id personally feel uncomfortable, and these guys who catcall well they probably do it to loads of girls and that’s just not an attractive feature of them. Don’t get too flattered hun

yeah of course, if you're someone who has the confidence to catcall someone you probably do it pretty frequently. and just see who you can get a reaction from. I still don't mind it though, I'd never be offended by it unless it was a sly remark. I understand feeling a bit self conscious when someone compliments you because often that's quite natural, but to actively dislike catcalling is a strange one.
Out of interest, people who are complimented by/like catcalling, what kind of comment comes into your mind when you think of catcalling? To me it’s always meant something rude/sexual/inappropriate ?
Original post by cat_mac
Out of interest, people who are complimented by/like catcalling, what kind of comment comes into your mind when you think of catcalling? To me it’s always meant something rude/sexual/inappropriate ?

What would you class as rude/inappropriate?

I was just lumping together all verbal comments about your appearance/attitude. So the sexual ones, the sweet ones, the weird ones, the thoughtful ones, the generic ones, honking, whistling.
I will say though, the only one I don't like is when a guy tells you to smile, find that one a bit weird.
Reply 25
Probably depends on frequency and style/context for how welcome it is. Also it's feels presumptuous and like guys shouldn't feel an automatic right to do this. Not sure if it will change in the next 100 years though.
Reply 26
There have been calls yesterday from a Female MP to make catcalling a hate crime.

They already did a pilot scheme in nottinghamshire and this MP wants to roll it out nationwide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43303874

what do you think about it ladies?
Should males be punished for making sexual advances towards women in public?

this also means that if this pilot scheme gets extended nationwide it will now be illegal for men to try chat women up on the street [if the overture is not welcomed]

@loveleest, less men will approach you if this law gets rolled out as more will be afraid....
Original post by ANM775
There have been calls yesterday from a Female MP to make catcalling a hate crime.

They already did a pilot scheme in nottinghamshire and this MP wants to roll it out nationwide

this also means that if this pilot scheme gets extended nationwide it will now be illegal for men to try chat women up on the street [if the overture is not welcomed]

@loveleest, less men will approach you if this law gets rolled out as more will be afraid....

Depends on what is classed as catcalling! I checked out good old urban dictionary, which lines up with what I would class as catcalling. A lot of people seem to think kind compliments are catcalling which, in my opinion, isn’t a catcall.
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Reply 28
Original post by cat_mac
Depends on what is classed as catcalling! I checked out good old urban dictionary, which lines up with what I would class as catcalling. A lot of people seem to think kind compliments are catcalling which, in my opinion, isn’t a catcall.
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

The TSR attachment feature is not particularly great, I can't see anything....
Original post by ANM775
The TSR attachment feature is not particularly great, I can't see anything....

Damn, here’s a few links instead!
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cat+calling&amp=true
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cat+call&amp=true
Reply 30

The woman in the BBC article seems to be pushing for more and mentions it including just following a woman out of a shop and chatting her up

Honestly if this thing gets implemented nationwide it will be unsafe for men to talk to women outside of bars/clubs anymore

There's ALWAYS some girls who will seem to take offence to be chatted up in public, even if you are polite and respectful [not yelling extremities] ....and I know this from experience.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
The woman in the article seems to be pushing for more and mentions it including just following a woman out of a shop and chatting her up

Honestly if this thing gets implemented nationwide it will be unsafe for men to talk to women outside of bars/clubs anymore

There's ALWAYS some girls who will seem to take offence to be chatted up in public, even if you are polite and respectful [not yelling extremities] ....and I know this from experience.

Yeah I doubt they’d actually be able to take any legal action against just chatting to someone though? Surely the catcall would have to meet some criteria over what was said?

It can be quite scary, especially if it’s a group of guys, when a stranger makes a very sexual comment when you have to walk past them. Especially for younger girls who are walking him from school or in dodgy parts of town.

Realistically I doubt there’s anything that can be done against it as you’d need to take the details of the guy and going over to someone who just made a rude/sexual comment about you is intimidating at best and dangerous at worst. It’s just one of those things you have to put up with and whine about online. :rofl:
tbh you just get used to it. it's not a biggie.
Original post by ANM775

There's a v clear and obvious difference between obnoxiously screaming out of a window like a 5 yr old to get a womens attention and actually genuinely approaching her.
Reply 34
Original post by cat_mac
Yeah I doubt they’d actually be able to take any legal action against just chatting to someone though? Surely the catcall would have to meet some criteria over what was said?

It can be quite scary, especially if it’s a group of guys, when a stranger makes a very sexual comment when you have to walk past them. Especially for younger girls who are walking him from school or in dodgy parts of town.

Realistically I doubt there’s anything that can be done against it as you’d need to take the details of the guy and going over to someone who just made a rude/sexual comment about you is intimidating at best and dangerous at worst. It’s just one of those things you have to put up with and whine about online. :rofl:

Some shopping centers have police or community support officers patrolling around.

All she needs to do is see one, make a complaint and then walk with them in the direction you headed off in and there's a decent chance they'd find you.

I've no doubt in my mind that some girls would do this, should they come across a police office/community support officer

I remember last year when I approached this one girl, I was polite and apologised for interrupting her and said i thought she was pretty and i had to come and say hi, she gave me this death stare, started berating me under her breath ...and quickly sped up her walk.

I'm sure she would report me for this if she was able to [judging from her reaction]
Reply 35
Original post by loveleest
There's a v clear and obvious difference between obnoxiously screaming out of a window like a 5 yr old to get a womens attention and actually genuinely approaching her.

The woman in the BBC article wants it include just a normal approach...
Original post by ANM775
The woman in the BBC article wants it include just a normal approach...

She said catcalling/wolf-whistling. Where did she say normal approaches anywhere?
Original post by ANM775

I remember last year when I approached this one girl, I was polite and apologised for interrupting her and said i thought she was pretty and i had to come and say hi, she gave me this death stare, started berating me under her breath ...and quickly sped up her walk.

Lmao
Reply 38
She said catcalling/wolf-whistling. Where did she say normal approaches anywhere?

"She also said it could include "someone who catcalls a woman in the street or follows a woman out of a shop to chat them up when it is unwanted... this change would give women the confidence to report these things".
"These things might be considered 'banter' or flirtatious but, if they are received as unwelcome in the way it is delivered, then it can be tantamount to harassment, even in a one-off case.""
Reply 39
Lmao

and you seriously wonder why more and more men don't like approaching women these days.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending