The Student Room Group

Help please. Unregistered person living in mum's council house.

My brother is living in my mum's house and is not supposed to. He is not registered and my mum doesn't want him living here because he's really disrespectful to her and the house itself. He is 24 years old, nearly 25. He is very selfish and only cares about himself, tries to manipulate my mum into helping him or giving him money even though he doesn't deserve it. Because he's always rude. He disrespects, then apologises, then is rude again and again and again. The only reason he wants to live here is for his own benefit of saving money. He uses my mum and her forgiveness time and time again.

Bottom line: my mum wants him out ASAP but he refuses to leave. We don't know what to do now. Can someone help please??
If he refuses to leave call the police and have them remove him.
Reply 2
Original post by KanyesVest
If he refuses to leave call the police and have them remove him.

This will be our last ever resort. My brother isn't as tough as he makes himself out to be. He's anxious by nature and weak in reality, so my mum doesn't want to do anything that she'll later regret. Is there anyone else we can talk to?
Reply 3
Original post by wonderuss
My brother is living in my mum's house and is not supposed to. He is not registered and my mum doesn't want him living here because he's really disrespectful to her and the house itself. He is 24 years old, nearly 25. He is very selfish and only cares about himself, tries to manipulate my mum into helping him or giving him money even though he doesn't deserve it. Because he's always rude. He disrespects, then apologises, then is rude again and again and again. The only reason he wants to live here is for his own benefit of saving money. He uses my mum and her forgiveness time and time again.

Bottom line: my mum wants him out ASAP but he refuses to leave. We don't know what to do now. Can someone help please??

Call the police. Tel him to sort himself out. He is a grown man he can stand on his own two feet.
Reply 4
This will be our last ever resort. My brother isn't as tough as he makes himself out to be. He's anxious by nature and weak in reality, so my mum doesn't want to do anything that she'll later regret. Is there anyone else we can talk to?

The police wouldn't necessarily need to use force to remove him. If you explain the situation to them, perhaps they can take a more suitable approach. A short, sobering conversation with a uniformed officer might be enough to set your brother straight.

You could also try asking CAB for advice, I suppose. Or you could try and contact social services, though whether they'd be willing to do anything I can't say for sure.
(edited 6 years ago)
if your Mum is getting reduced council tax then having a 24 year old living there will invalidate her claim

Maybe call shelter and ask for their advice if you don’t want to call the police however, you need to prepare yourselves for that fact you may have no option. He is a grown man who is working, he will be fine. Good luck
Original post by the bear
if your Mum is getting reduced council tax then having a 24 year old living there will invalidate her claim

Why would it? CTR is based on capital income, not the number of adults living in the property. If the local council finds out that the brother is living there, they will presume that the brother has non-qualifying income until it is proved otherwise, but that's about it.

The pickle comes if OP's mother is claiming Universal Credit Housing Element, as the amount covered will be reduced for the brother's being over 22 (unless he's on PIP or DLA, which is not impossible). Of course, if UC already know about the brother, the amount will already be reduced. It is not a given that because the local council doesn't know that DWP mustn't also. OP should be very aware that claiming for no adults living in the house could mean that DWP/council has overpaid and OP's mother will be liable to repay that overpayment.

He is over 22, so he can get help with housing costs from Universal Credit. Different rules for HB, but he's still eligible. I think you should have a serious conversation with him and advise him to go to CAB and get housing advice from them, in order to understand the level of support he is entitled to. He might be more willing to leave if he knows he can afford to do so.

If you want him to leave and he doesn't, you need to call the police (warning him first). Not that they will arrest him, but they can be extremely persuasive. That will make him realise that you're quite serious about him moving out.

I realise this entire post is premised on the brother being on benefits and not in work. Apologies if this is not the case.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Notoriety
Why would it? CTR is based on capital income, not the number of adults living in the property. If the local council finds out that the brother is living there, they will presume that the brother has non-qualifying income until it is proved otherwise, but that's about it.

The pickle comes if OP's mother is claiming Universal Credit Housing Element, as the amount covered will be reduced for the brother's being over 22 (unless he's on PIP or DLA, which is not impossible). Of course, if UC already know about the brother, the amount will already be reduced. It is not a given that because the local council doesn't know that DWP mustn't also. OP should be very aware that claiming for no adults living in the house could mean that DWP/council has overpaid and OP's mother will be liable to repay that overpayment.

He is over 22, so he can get help with housing costs from Universal Credit. Different rules for HB, but he's still eligible. I think you should have a serious conversation with him and advise him to go to CAB and get housing advice from them, in order to understand the level of support he is entitled to. He might be more willing to leave if he knows he can afford to do so.

If you want him to leave and he doesn't, you need to call the police (warning him first). Not that they will arrest him, but they can be extremely persuasive. That will make him realise that you're quite serious about him moving out.

I realise this entire post is premised on the brother being on benefits and not in work. Apologies if this is not the case.

He is in work, earning over £1500 a month. He left his rented flat (£500 a month) earlier than the end of the contract to come and live here - partly because he wants to save money (which I don't know what he wastes it on) and partly because he was afraid - he has paranoia issues and thinks everyone's out to get him/spying on him. He says there are dangerous people around where he lives, which I'm sure is another one of his exaggerations.
Reply 9

That's… not even the slightest bit true. Council tax is based on the property value, and all adults living at the property are joint and severally liable for the bill. If OP's mum has the living alone 25% discount, having someone else living in the house would invalidate that discount which is probably what Bear was referring to. There's also discounts/exemptions available for people on benefits, but who knows if that's applicable here or not.
Original post by Dez
That's… not even the slightest bit true. Council tax is based on the property value, and all adults living at the property are joint and severally liable for the bill. If OP's mum has the living alone 25% discount, having someone else living in the house would invalidate that discount which is probably what Bear was referring to. There's also discounts/exemptions available for people on benefits, but who knows if that's applicable here or not.

Well, it is a bit more than a slightly bit true. OP's losing CTR will not depend on the number of adults per se, but the income of those adults. In fact, having a second adult in the property might make OP's household eligible for CTR through the second-adult rebate. (Though the brother's income would make him ineligible. See how I talked about income again.)

And you're wrong about liability.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dez

yes that is what i meant :h:
yes that is what i meant :h:

Yes, but you said by virtue of there being a second adult CTR will be invalidated. Rather than could be invalidated. Naturally, this could confuse the OP significantly! Wasn't correcting you to be a knob.
Yes, but you said by virtue of there being a second adult CTR will be invalidated. Rather than could be invalidated. Naturally, this could confuse the OP significantly! Wasn't correcting you to be a knob.

whevs
whevs

That's a rather unconvincing apology, but I will accept it anyway.
That's a rather unconvincing apology, but I will accept it anyway.

i was not apologising. you are a nitwit.
Reply 16
Thanks everyone. My mum and I will be going to the CAB tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending