The Student Room Group

Your controversial book opinions?

Whether you think Harry Potter is terrible, Twilight is the most well-written book in existence, or anything else in-between, share your controversial book opinions here, and find out who else feels the same! :holmes:

Scroll to see replies

What a lowbrow website considering it is meant to be for university and senior school students

"Controversial" book opinions are likely to be a dislike of Harry Potter or Twilight (whatever that is?) Good grief... :frown:
I can't say I enjoyed Harry Potter. I did try to read most of book and two and couldn't get into them.
Original post by generallee
What a lowbrow website considering it is meant to be for university and senior school students

"Controversial" book opinions are likely to be a dislike of Harry Potter or Twilight (whatever that is?) Good grief... :frown:

Naturally students also want to chat about something besides university too! We have Study Help and University sections which are both incredibly comprehensive and well used :yep:

Those are both examples that most people will know well, and go against the 'norm' of opinion; of course, many people will have more controversial ones, but it wouldn't be much of a discussion if all of them were covered in the original post :tongue:
I just read ‘The Richest Man In Babylon’ definitely recommend it if you want to learn some finance
The Hunger Games is the worst book series ever. The main character is so ****ing annoying. She should have died at the end. At least that would make the book redeemable.
Reply 6
Lord of the Rings is a great story written by an awful storyteller. Tolkein may be a master linguist but his writing is bloody tedious at times.

Original post by Avenging Caliban
The Hunger Games is the worst book series ever. The main character is so ****ing annoying. She should have died at the end. At least that would make the book redeemable.

:lol: They were definitely rather trashy books, though I kinda liked the fact that the main character wasn't some perfect sun-shining-out-of-arse hero, as you get in so many other stories like that. At least Katniss's flaws made things semi-interesting, though the whole love triangle thing was pot-boiling at its worst.
Original post by Dez
Lord of the Rings is a great story written by an awful storyteller. Tolkein may be a master linguist but his writing is bloody tedious at times.

:lol: They were definitely rather trashy books, though I kinda liked the fact that the main character wasn't some perfect sun-shining-out-of-arse hero, as you get in so many other stories like that. At least Katniss's flaws made things semi-interesting, though the whole love triangle thing was pot-boiling at its worst.

She got so mopey in the second book. She was like Bella Swan version 2.
Hunger games, LOTR, Divergent, all a bit meh.
Emma is the biggest pile of drivel I have ever read, it is boring, the storyline is bland and there are no redeeming factors to it
I think Jane Austen's books are all so boring that they are not worth reading and I have no idea why she is so famous. Seriously, I tried reading about five books by her and never did I manage to get past page 60-100 or so since it was too boring for me to handle. This is coming from someone who has finished books almost 500 pages long in a single day. :indiff:

I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and to be truthful, while I can see its appeal, I cannot say I loved it that much. It was an alright book, but that is all. :erm: I will probably not read any of the next books since I am nowhere near invested and interested enough in the story to do so.
(edited 6 years ago)
:troll::troll::troll::troll:
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
:troll::troll::troll::troll:

I'm being serious lol
Original post by Tiger Rag
I can't say I enjoyed Harry Potter. I did try to read most of book and two and couldn't get into them.

Muggle.

Also We are our brains by **** Swaab. What a load of

Spoiler

Reply 14
Lord of the flies is rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
William S Burroughs was a trustafarian misogynistic murderer who had a disturbingly inflated ego and it pisses me off he has this 'edgy' legacy as a writer of not very good surrealism
Reply 16
Original post by solw
William S Burroughs was a trustafarian misogynistic murderer who had a disturbingly inflated ego and it pisses me off he has this 'edgy' legacy as a writer of not very good surrealism

I agree with this, actually. I have never understood his appeal, he's just not that good.
- I don’t like John Green’s novels very much st all. I like John Green himself. I used to think Paper Towns was very unique and special, but after reading every other book he’s written I realised they’re full of cliches and recycled characters and twists.

- The Harry Potter books are genius in their marketing and narrative, but the writing itself isn’t very strong. JK Rowling is obsessed with adverbs and it gets kind of irritating. But what can I say? She’s impossibly successful.

- I loved Skellig. Everyone else in my English class hated it. Not sure if that’s a universal opinion.
Reply 18
Stephen King's stuff isn't that interesting.
Sex scenes in books is one of the worst experiances possible no matter the author. It is always best with a conformation they did it rather than descirbing and getting full on iwth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending