The Student Room Group

Starting again as a first year at a different uni

I'm currently a first-year studying Computer Science, I've been increasingly unhappy at my current university and not too long ago contacted another university about starting there, same course but at Level 1. They replied saying they would offer me an unconditional if I applied through UCAS which is what I will do, however, I'm confused on how student finance works. Will I only receive 3 more years of funding? Or if I choose a 4 year course such as Computer Science with a year in industrial placement, will I get the full 4 years funding? And finally when I drop out of my current uni, what will happen to my finance?
Original post by oliviaemilyy
I'm currently a first-year studying Computer Science, I've been increasingly unhappy at my current university and not too long ago contacted another university about starting there, same course but at Level 1. They replied saying they would offer me an unconditional if I applied through UCAS which is what I will do, however, I'm confused on how student finance works. Will I only receive 3 more years of funding? Or if I choose a 4 year course such as Computer Science with a year in industrial placement, will I get the full 4 years funding? And finally when I drop out of my current uni, what will happen to my finance?

Hi Oliviaemilyy,

Just to clarify, would you be going into year of the degree course or doing a level 1 course first?

Thank you,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Oliviaemilyy,

Just to clarify, would you be going into year of the degree course or doing a level 1 course first?

Thank you,

John.

I would be going into year 1 of the degree course
Original post by oliviaemilyy
I would be going into year 1 of the degree course

Hi Oliviaemilyy,

Thanks for answering that.

When calculating your student finance, we take the length of the new course, plus 1 additional year, minus any years of previous study.

So for example, if your new course is 4 years long:

4+1-1= 4 years of funding.

Basically if you've only done 1 year of study before starting your new course, you can receive funding for the duration of the new course. If you had to repeat a year, you'd need to self-fund the tuition fees but could still receive Maintenance Loan, supplementary grants and Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

When dropping out of your current course, the effect it has on your student finance depends on when you withdraw. If you withdraw before the end of the term you're currently in, your finance will be calculated up until the date you withdrew, so you may end up with an overpayment. If you complete the year but don't return to the course, you'd simply just apply for funding for your new course and you wouldn't have any overpayment.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending