The Student Room Group

Potentially dropping out of PGDE

I'm currently studying for a PGDE at Sheffield and being on the course I've realised teaching is something I never want to do in the future. Placement fills me with nothing but absolute dread and I can't bring myself to even think about my essays I have to do. I really want to drop out but I honestly don't know how to bring this up to my tutor or my parents.

Any advice?
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm currently studying for a PGDE at Sheffield and being on the course I've realised teaching is something I never want to do in the future. Placement fills me with nothing but absolute dread and I can't bring myself to even think about my essays I have to do. I really want to drop out but I honestly don't know how to bring this up to my tutor or my parents.

Any advice?

First off collect your thoughts and work out if this is really what you want to do and why. Then think about a backup plan and what you plan to do next. Then think about how to tell your tutor and parents and start the process.

Any advice?

How much work do you need to complete the qualification? If you know that you absolutely hate teaching then it doesn't make sense to continue, although maybe a PGCE could be used to teach overseas, but then if you don't like teaching that is also pointless. Is a PGCE respected in other industries like finance or business? I would speak to the tutors.
Original post by thenoob2018
How much work do you need to complete the qualification? If you know that you absolutely hate teaching then it doesn't make sense to continue, although maybe a PGCE could be used to teach overseas, but then if you don't like teaching that is also pointless. Is a PGCE respected in other industries like finance or business? I would speak to the tutors.

I want nothing to do with education in any shape or form for the rest of my entire existence. Here or abroad, I never want to be associated with it ever again-it's a soul destroying endeavour that provides minimal reward.

The only good thing is that it provides good transferable skills to get out of it
I want nothing to do with education in any shape or form for the rest of my entire existence. Here or abroad, I never want to be associated with it ever again-it's a soul destroying endeavour that provides minimal reward.

The only good thing is that it provides good transferable skills to get out of it

If you can't use the PGDE directly then isn't it a waste of time staying on the programme?

Why did you dislike teaching so much? I keep being told its a good option.

So you've decided teaching isn't for you, which is understandable. Do you have any idea about what you want to do next/instead? It may be easier to present your parents with a workable plan- rather than just saying "I want to drop out".

Have you thought about the practical considerations of dropping out? Will you be able to stay in your current accommodation if you are no longer a student? Are you getting a bursary, and if so, will you need to repay that? Will you be liable for fees until the end of term, and will you be able to pay these?

I would speak to your tutor ASAP. They will want to help and support you even if you do want to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending