The Student Room Group

Under 16 banned from buying energy drink

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The PoliticalGuy
But that will be the direct consequence of legalising drugs, some people will abuse it some won't.
Some people will be "walking around the streets and harassing people", some wont.

I thought people on heroin fell asleep on their couch while dreaming about unicorns and stuff, rather than going out and glassing people.
But that will be the direct consequence of legalising drugs, some people will abuse it some won't.
Some people will be "walking around the streets and harassing people", some wont.

I am not sold on the idea of criminalising inherently harmless conduct on the basis that some people who engage in it may go on to engage in other, harmful conduct.

If people are walking around the streets and harassing people, they should be dealt with under harassment/ public order laws.

The first requirement is that people who are minding their own business and not actively harming anyone else must be left alone. There is no justification for criminalising them. After that, we can take other steps to deal specifically with the troublesome people, if that is necessary.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I am not sold on the idea of criminalising inherently harmless conduct on the basis that some people who engage in it may go on to engage in other, harmful conduct.

If people are walking around the streets and harassing people, they should be dealt with under harassment/ public order laws.

The first requirement is that people who are minding their own business and not actively harming anyone else must be left alone. There is no justification for criminalising them. After that, we can take other steps to deal specifically with the troublesome people, if that is necessary.

Let me explain to you the arguments against legalising drugs for example Heroine:

Heroine is a very harmful drug if taken in substantial amounts ,before you say that it depends on the adult to decide how much they want and take, it is an incredibly addictive drug and the user would just want more and more, so the user has most of the time no control over how much doses they are taking because their brain is not functioning as normal.

Another reason, what happens when a person constantly abuses the drug and runs out of money to buy it? Some users most of the time forget about life and their obligations to protect and provide for themselves and their family thus leaving them in a state of madness. A lot of the time the user runs out of money steals from their family and drug problems arise.

I understand where you are coming from but your argument is full of holes and has no legitimate substance

PS: I am not saying this is going to be every drug user but this happens a lot in the current day climate.
I agree with this ban
Reply 24
Original post by Wilfred Little
Passport? :/

Yes but what parents trust their 16yr old to walk around with their passport as a matter ofcourse?
Original post by ljcrisp
It’s good because they’re bad for you anyways. Enough said.

So is skiing.You could break a leg.Should we ban that too?
Original post by Robby2312
So is skiing.You could break a leg.Should we ban that too?

False equivalents.

You could ski everyday for the rest of your life and not get injured.

If you drink these everyday for the rest of your life you will suffer.
Let me explain to you the arguments against legalising drugs for example Heroine:

Heroine is a very harmful drug if taken in substantial amounts ,before you say that it depends on the adult to decide how much they want and take, it is an incredibly addictive drug and the user would just want more and more, so the user has most of the time no control over how much doses they are taking because their brain is not functioning as normal.

Another reason, what happens when a person constantly abuses the drug and runs out of money to buy it? Some users most of the time forget about life and their obligations to protect and provide for themselves and their family thus leaving them in a state of madness. A lot of the time the user runs out of money steals from their family and drug problems arise.

I understand where you are coming from but your argument is full of holes and has no legitimate substance

PS: I am not saying this is going to be every drug user but this happens a lot in the current day climate.

Both these arguments apply to alcohol and smoking.Should we ban them too? Cigarettes cause lung cancer and alcohol can cause many types of cancer.Liver, throat, mouth.If any drug should be banned it's these two.Perhaps we should just ban every single thing thats bad for us?
Reply 28
Both these arguments apply to alcohol and smoking.Should we ban them too? Cigarettes cause lung cancer and alcohol can cause many types of cancer.Liver, throat, mouth.If any drug should be banned it's these two.Perhaps we should just ban every single thing thats bad for us?

You know what's funny, alcohol and cigarettes both require you to be over a certain age to purchase them because over indulgence is bad for you.

Oh look, we're at the rational decision that has been taken to prevent people under the age of 16 from buying something potentially bad for them.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Passport? :/

You're telling me you carry a passport with you regularly?
Original post by Drewski
False equivalents.

You could ski everyday for the rest of your life and not get injured.

If you drink these everyday for the rest of your life you will suffer.

Or you could end up in a coma like Mr Schumacher.Yes energy drinks are bad if you abuse them which is why you educate people about the dangers and trust them to use their own judgement.You don't ban everything.Another point is that you can't heap tons of pressure through our overly exam based system and then be surprised when young people use energy drinks.I would wager that most adults have an unhealthy dependency on coffee to wake them up each morning.What effect does say 2 coffee cups a day have on the heart and brain? If we are going to ban stuff coffee would be just as viable as energy drinks.
Or you could end up in a coma like Mr Schumacher.

Again, false equivalents.

One is the result of an accident, the other would come as a result of normal use.

You could get RSI from typing, but you're still going to... unfortunately.
Original post by Napp
Yes but what parents trust their 16yr old to walk around with their passport as a matter ofcourse?

If they don't trust them with a passport why on earth are they letting them buy caffeinated drinks?

Anyway, no ID no sale, that's how it normally works isn't it, whats the problem?
If a student lives in a city big enough for a university, It shouldn't take more than an hour to get a £20 bag of whatever stimulant they want, twenty-four hours a day, 7/365. Not that I'm endorsing illegal behavior, just pointing out the bleeding obvious!
Original post by the bear
young people have far too much energy anyway. they should be given drinks which slow them down.

Yeah man. Like a Ritalin anti-energy fizzy drink.

We can call it Lucozadhde.
Original post by uberteknik

Ritalin is a stimulant similar to cocaine.
Original post by the beer
Ritalin is a stimulant similar to cocaine.

:facepalm2:

I guess the ADHD bit in the new-drink name kinda hid the sarcasm, huh?
(edited 6 years ago)

We can call it Lucozadhde.

what about a drink which makes them more amusing ?.... it could be called

Spoiler

:facepalm2:

I guess the ADHD bit in the new-drink name kinda hid the sarcasm, huh?

Got you were making a joke, didn't seem like sarcasm on the ritalin part though.

Smoking tobacco cigarettes does not make one "high" so a responsible decision by an adult can be made if they want to take more, the same can't be said about heroine. Also tobacco cigarettes must be taken excessively for any substantial health degregation to take place that goes for alcohol as well, sadly the same can't be said for heroine.

Talking about Alcohol, there is already a great deal of regulation on alcohol consumption in the UK such as a limit one can be drunk by on the streets and driving. I for one fully support limiting the amount of alcohol units in drinks to a bare minimum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending