The Student Room Group

Student finance and support

I've recently applied (and been offered a conditional place) at UWE to study Childrens Nursing, something that I am over the moon about, considering I have little to no nursing experience, having left school at 16.

I am 20 now, I have lived on my own (not through choice) since 16, and have been on an apprenticeship where I live (some distance away from bristol). Filled in student finance to pay for the course okay, but when it comes to the maintenance grant, I have been offered approximately £4,000. I understand that because I have been self-sufficient they will not subsides the full maintenance amount, which majorly sucks. I live on my own, and barely scrape by as it stands, and so I have no savings to fall back on. The support of my parents is a non-starter, and the 4,000 will not cover the cheapest accommodation possible on the uni website (£4,200). I'm majorly stuck and in need of help, please could anyone help answer some of my questions:

a) is there a way to apply for a larger maintenance loan?
b) is there a way to hold down a part time job that will even get close to making up the money (nursing students question!!!) ? My course entails 37 teaching hours a week, plus 37+ hour placements for months of the course. I get it would be completely possible if I was studying another course but nursing seems to be the exception to the rule as its a full time course
c) Basically does anyone have any help or information or tips that can help, because at the moment I can't go because I simply can't afford to. I'm stuck in a job I hate, and I never wanted to do just so I could be independent, and now that I have, the system has worked against me.

Feeling so lost.
Original post by Andromeda97
I've recently applied (and been offered a conditional place) at UWE to study Childrens Nursing, something that I am over the moon about, considering I have little to no nursing experience, having left school at 16.

I am 20 now, I have lived on my own (not through choice) since 16, and have been on an apprenticeship where I live (some distance away from bristol). Filled in student finance to pay for the course okay, but when it comes to the maintenance grant, I have been offered approximately £4,000. I understand that because I have been self-sufficient they will not subsides the full maintenance amount, which majorly sucks. I live on my own, and barely scrape by as it stands, and so I have no savings to fall back on. The support of my parents is a non-starter, and the 4,000 will not cover the cheapest accommodation possible on the uni website (£4,200). I'm majorly stuck and in need of help, please could anyone help answer some of my questions:

a) is there a way to apply for a larger maintenance loan?
b) is there a way to hold down a part time job that will even get close to making up the money (nursing students question!!!) ? My course entails 37 teaching hours a week, plus 37+ hour placements for months of the course. I get it would be completely possible if I was studying another course but nursing seems to be the exception to the rule as its a full time course
c) Basically does anyone have any help or information or tips that can help, because at the moment I can't go because I simply can't afford to. I'm stuck in a job I hate, and I never wanted to do just so I could be independent, and now that I have, the system has worked against me.

Feeling so lost.

Hi Andromeda97,

In order to be assessed for the higher Maintenance Loan we need you to provide your household income.

We would class you as a Dependent Student until the age of 25 and it is your parents household income that would be used in the assessment.

You can however be assessed as Independent under 25 years old if you either estranged from your biological parents or have supported yourself for 3 years.

If you are able to provide full evidence showing you have supported yourself financially for 36 months prior to the start of your course) - the 3 years self support does not need to be consecutive years.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending