The Student Room Group

Is anyone else not bothered by cat calling?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
Ive been to bars and I definitely didnt see that, I guess it was because it wasn't packed.
I've also been to one club in central London and again, dint see that either. I saw girls, my age sitting down. People older were standing up dancing though

I am not saying it doesn't happen, it just doesnt really happen often.

Got to disagree with “it doesn’t really happen often”, within the first 10-30mins of being in a bar i’ll be approached, first minute of dancing in a club I get approached. Me and my friends do bets on who can pull first and we’re all relatively successful. The drinking scene is basically a hook up destination.
So since I was 14, I've gone out running long distance, and there's a stretch of road on the way back home on my route which was notorious for cat calling. It was like every other day that I went out there would be someone beeping at me, calling out of their window, etc.
It creeped me out so much, and it often put me off going out for a run. I also never told my parents, seeing as they would probably never let me go out again :'v
My mum was once followed by a guy in a van when she was on a run once, and I honestly would freak if that happened to me.

So yeah.
It's not a compliment.
Its just pervy old guys scaring the sh*t outta kids like me for kicks.
Original post by cat_mac
Got to disagree with “it doesn’t really happen often”, within the first 10-30mins of being in a bar i’ll be approached, first minute of dancing in a club I get approached. Me and my friends do bets on who can pull first and we’re all relatively successful. The drinking scene is basically a hook up destination.

Yeah, I know clubs are there for hookups and most guys there are drunk.

When I said "it doesn't really happen" I was referencing more to other places like events
Reply 63
Original post by loveleest
No, the guy that approached me in the library wasnt after sex. It was the one that approached me in the computer shop.
No, bars are pointless a smost guys would be drunk whilst approaching. Internet dating is also not that good

most women who have come up to me in such venue's have not been drunk, therefore it is logical to expect that most men coming up to women will also not be drunk

Internet dating is good for women, but thing is you will need to weed through the players and ****boys before finding a decent guy

The same goes for guys approaching you in public places like computer shop or the street, you will still get guys wanting just sex and will have to sift through them [as you have already found out]

for a girl meeting a guy through friends/family/work is more ideal because most guys will not mess women around [pump and dump] if he is within her network
Original post by cat_mac
Depends on what is classed as catcalling! I checked out good old urban dictionary, which lines up with what I would class as catcalling. A lot of people seem to think kind compliments are catcalling which, in my opinion, isn’t a catcall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWEKD493IxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

I think a lot of women also include other types of comments like these ones. Not just aggressive sexual remarks.
Original post by ANM775
most women who have come up to me in such venue's have not been drunk, therefore it is logical to expect that most men coming up to women will also not be drunk

Internet dating is good for women, but thing is you will need to weed through the players and ****boys before finding a decent guy

The same goes for guys approaching you in public places like computer shop or the street, you will still get guys wanting just sex and will have to sift through them [as you have already found out]

for a girl meeting a guy through friends/family/work is more ideal because most guys will not mess women around [pump and dump] if he is within her network

Well, I am at uni and going to clubs would be pointless as most men will be absolute drunk looking for an easy bang lol, so forget it.

I guess social circle seems like a good option, only if your friends are in a relationship though. Family is a no from me imo.
Reply 66

second couple look more like brother and sister than boyfriend/girlfriend..
Original post by yudothis
Because a girl might have first experienced this as a schoolgirl from grown men and feels threatened by catcalling as a result. Just because one does not understand something, doesn’t mean it’s not accurate/true. Your attitude is exactly why men do it - they think it’s a compliment but it’s not to every to woman. And that’s ok, and so they should just keep their mouths shut.

No I understand. I've never catcalled anyone anyway - only complimented a girl on her looks after conversing beforehand.
Original post by Hirsty97
No I understand. I've never catcalled anyone anyway - only complimented a girl on her looks after conversing beforehand.

Then why did you say you don't understand, I'm a bit confused?

And good for you, encourage all your mates to do likewise :smile:
Then why did you say you don't understand, I'm a bit confused?

And good for you, encourage all your mates to do likewise :smile:

What about if guy calls you beautiful/stunning/gorgeous? Is it still bad to compliment a girl saying stuff like that?
Original post by Anonymous
What about if guy calls you beautiful/stunning/gorgeous? Is it still bad to compliment a girl saying stuff like that?

For most in most situations probably not, but why do you feel the need to compliment a girl anyway? What do you gain from it?
For most in most situations probably not, but why do you feel the need to compliment a girl anyway? What do you gain from it?

Have you ever been nice to someone?
It’s not something that bothers me per se , I just wonder what they get out of it or expect to get out of it :laugh:
Have you ever been nice to someone?

What do you gain from it? Do you thinking 'complementing' random people is "nice"? How?
What do you gain from it? Do you thinking 'complementing' random people is "nice"? How?

I'm not even a boy?
But I often compliment other girls on their makeup or outfit or tell them I think they're pretty. Sometimes you just can't help it and want to let them know. It's a minor thing for me to do but it can make the other person's day. I'm not trying to gain anything.

I don't tend to compliment boys randomly as much just because I don't want to give them the wrong impression and lead them on. But if a guy's got a cool t shirt or pair of trainers then I'm probably going to mention it.

I think it's nice to compliment people. You don't necessarily have to gain anything from it.
I quite like that guys go out of their way to compliment. Girls don't do it to guys as much. I personally can't imagine having the balls to cat call a guy but I don't think it would be a horrible thing to do.

You'd be surprised. I've had it a lot throughout my life, admittedly not so much nowadays because I'm 28 now and girls my age are mature, but when I was a bit younger and especially when I was at college, it was an almost daily occurrence. Girls tend to get really ballsy when they're in groups, but if you approached them when they're on their own they'd get all shy. Girls are just as bad as guys or sometimes worse for it when they're with their friends.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
You'd be surprised. I've had it a lot throughout my life, admittedly not so much nowadays because I'm 28 now and girls my age are mature, but when I was a bit younger and especially when I was at college, it was an almost daily occurrence. Girls tend to get really ballsy when they're in groups, but if you approached them when they're on their own they'd get all shy. Girls are just as bad as guys or sometimes worse for it when they're with their friends.

Yeah I definitely agree about girls in groups. I've seen girls squeeze/grab men's arses. Apparently it's alright to do that if you're a girl? And on nights out calling out things to guys.
I don't see it much during the day though.
I'm not even a boy?
But I often compliment other girls on their makeup or outfit or tell them I think they're pretty. Sometimes you just can't help it and want to let them know. It's a minor thing for me to do but it can make the other person's day. I'm not trying to gain anything.

I don't tend to compliment boys randomly as much just because I don't want to give them the wrong impression and lead them on. But if a guy's got a cool t shirt or pair of trainers then I'm probably going to mention it.

I think it's nice to compliment people. You don't necessarily have to gain anything from it.

Well then there's no problem. However as a man, why would you say anything about the appearance of a woman you don't know? Often, you will also see these men get upset/annoyed if the woman doesn't acknowledge them. Hence I ask, why do it? For so many men it's because they want a reaction from the woman. To be so ever thankful that they bothered to compliment her.
Often, you will also see these men get upset/annoyed if the woman doesn't acknowledge them. Hence I ask, why do it? For so many men it's because they want a reaction from the woman. To be so ever thankful that they bothered to compliment her.

Well yeah tbh if I called another girl pretty and she just ignored me I'd be a bit like 'oh right then'. I'm not complimenting to be her friend or get her number or to receive a compliment back. But it's common curtesy to say thank you. If it's said in a normal way. Obviously if I went to a girl and said damn nice titties, I don't think she'd be too happy about it. And I know the person hasn't asked for a compliment and sometimes you can get taken by surprise and don't know what to say. But it's hardly a crime.

Well then there's no problem. However as a man, why would you say anything about the appearance of a woman you don't know?

Why is it one rule for women and one rule for men?
I really hate it, it's always by creepy old men while i'm on my way home from school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending