The Student Room Group

Some advice on dropping Sixth form?

I absolutely hate it at Sixth form. It is too strict, they still treat you like a child, all my friends have gone to college and I am stuck with people I don't like in Sixth form and I really feel like dropping out. I am in year 12.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
and I hate the Sixth form assemblies because I have to go and sit with the people I dislike I just don't go to the assemblys
No winners without losers. Please quit sixth form and take an apprenticeship
Reply 3
Original post by James_greddall
No winners without losers. Please quit sixth form and take an apprenticeship

What about college? I kinda want a fresh start tbh
A levels and degrees are the only easy way for success for the vast majority of people. Everything else is the same. I say you should accept your situation or ger a job. Apprenticeships are worthless as are college btecs
Reply 5
A levels and degrees are the only easy way for success for the vast majority of people. Everything else is the same. I say you should accept your situation or ger a job. Apprenticeships are worthless as are college btecs

But aren't btecs and A-level the same now? That's what my Teacher said. Plus I am thinking of doing Engineering. A Lot of good jobs in that.
Original post by Agent456
But aren't btecs and A-level the same now? That's what my Teacher said. Plus I am thinking of doing Engineering. A Lot of good jobs in that.
A degree is a degree but surely there's a difference between Oxford and London met. Btecs are bs. Your teacher probably went to some crappy uni so obviously they'd be biased towards the whole btecs are equal and universities doesn't matter thing. You honestly think that with your btec and apprenticeship someone would hire you over say a warick maths graduate or an imperial engineering student.
Reply 7
No university apart from those that you shouldn't go to use ucas points. Go one any Russel group universities website and they don't give you ucas points. It's a A level grade with btecs for the less fortunate ones
Also to anyone jn the real world, a levels >> btecs. Btecs are worthless and if you belive their not then you won't be able to handle a levels if that concept is hard enough to grasp
Mind your toes.
I'm being honest. Abut insensitive yes but I think people need to know these things
Reply 12
I'm being honest. Abut insensitive yes but I think people need to know these things

How about if I move to a Sixth form college? They do both A-levels and BTECS
Yes that's a better option but keep the a levels
Reply 14
Yes that's a better option but keep the a levels

When would it be the best time to drop out? After I done Year 12? Or should I drop now?
You really are thick aren't you. No university apart from those that you shouldn't go to use ucas points. Go one any Russel group universities website and they don't give you ucas points. It's a A level grade with btecs for the less fortunate ones

Perhaps you need to be more polite and learn to spell 'Russell' correctly? Btw, presumably you are aware that RG is a self-selected club and some non-RG are rated more highly?
When would it be the best time to drop out? After I done Year 12? Or should I drop now?

Please ignore the other poster and think carefully about what YOU want to do. Degree aprenticeships can be great and, if you are thinking about Engineering then an RG uni is not necessaarily the best choice.

Talk to someone who knows about different routes to uni.
I'm going to wade in on this. I would say go to college they do treat you like adults it's what I did. I also did a BTEC and have 5 offers from Cardiff, Leicester, Exter, Portsmouth and Plymouth to do geology/geophysics. Don't listen to the prat who thinks that A-levels are the only thing that defines life. If you hate your environment you are not going to do well. Since meeting the guys at Leicester they gave me a safety net offer dropping the grade requirements. Portsmouth was also unconditional so you can do well with a BTEC.
(edited 6 years ago)

I would say complete year 12 and evaluate your situation and consider your options. Because there is not much point wasting 3/4 of the academic year.
Original post by Muttley79
Perhaps you need to be more polite and learn to spell 'Russell' correctly? Btw, presumably you are aware that RG is a self-selected club and some non-RG are rated more highly?
My bad- I was typing fast. Yes I agree Russell group is a self selected group but the vast majority of good unis are in the group with some exceptions like Lancaster. But in general their the ones you need to attend to say you went to a decent uni. I think many I will not have many fans but a well paid job is more likely if you attend a Russell group university than a bs btec.

Quick Reply

Latest