The Student Room Group

Tv licence anxiety

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stoyfan
Lack of original content? They make plenty of high quality documentaries and drama series.

no they don't by any objective metric. They closed down BBC 3 and are are still running shows made years ago

Diverting TV license funds to the News channel and foreign language news in iran and welsh language TV

Original post by jdddd
Taxpayer money can't be allowed to be market driven. Not even a great pundit either. Do we even need BBC sport anyway? Surely they can get money from adverts like the rest do? Or/ and subscription like Sky. Also Sky and BT don't pay much more do they? Most of the money goes to football clubs for TV licensing fees.

The Government are useless numerous petitions to scrap the license and they won't. Imagine that money going elsewhere, Police, NHS etc

The govt lives in the Market, it doesnt have a monopoly on employing people. Whether your an IT contractor for Civil Service or Gary Lineker, you wage is determined by the price of employing the next best alternative.

Most people like him and want to be able to watch the footie highlights on free tv.

The argument about adverts is different to Gary Lineker being overpaid or not. they pay alot more and no it doesnt.

Police ? NHS ? no country on earth spends 100% of its income on public services, some goes on entertainment as well
Reply 21
Original post by hannah00
The govt lives in the Market, it doesnt have a monopoly on employing people. Whether your an IT contractor for Civil Service or Gary Lineker, you wage is determined by the price of employing the next best alternative.

Most people like him and want to be able to watch the footie highlights on free tv.

The argument about adverts is different to Gary Lineker being overpaid or not. they pay alot more and no it doesnt.

Police ? NHS ? no country on earth spends 100% of its income on public services, some goes on entertainment as well

Thats wrong. So Police are paid as well as private security contractors? No.

I love football and do watch it on BBC when its on but wouldn't care if it wasn't.

Never said a country pays 100% on public services? I said the money could go to other things such as Police and NHS. Read.
Original post by Anonymous
I really hope it doesnt go as far as court 😐, I've heard of people being wrongly taken to court and in the however rare off-chance im falsely found guilty, im more concerned about the 'criminal conviction' buisness. I spend some 5months of the year abroad and need visas to visit some friends, that will be a problem.
My tv has never been tuned, it doesnt have internet or anything. But what about laptops.. could I be taken to court because I own a laptop, despite never using iplayer 😕. If they came in and saw my set up.. couldnt they just accuse me of using the laptop, am I expected to prove that I dont watch iplayer.

dont sign the declaration, it will just be used against you later, once they know your responding, they will hasell you more, just ignore everything.

Use this website http://www.bbctvlicence.com/
Original post by jdddd
What??😂😂Its called Law😂https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence here you go. Don't go spouting about things you dont know. Such fake news. What do you study?

Where do you study by the way?
Reply 24
Original post by Notoriety
Where do you study by the way?

Why? And where did I say I study at all?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jdddd
Why? And where did I say I study at all?

You study law. That is fairly clear.

I am just curious.
Reply 26
You study law. That is fairly clear.

I am just curious.

How is that clear?

Why?

Do you study/ or want to study Law?
BBC pays £100,000 compensation to viewers harassed by licence fee officers Over £100,000 of taxpayers' money paid by BBC over last five years to 2,500 viewers who complained of "aggressive" TV licensing officers' behaviour
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10621833/BBC-pays-100000-compensation-to-viewers-harassed-by-licence-fee-officers.html

Your best bet is to start legal proceeding against the BBC for harassing you
Original post by jdddd
How is that clear?

Why?

Do you study/ or want to study Law?

The fact you said "It's called Law" rather than linking to the site straight away suggested you were more interested to get into a debate about law than what the site says. Then you asked what the other poster studied. I guess I am just a good reader of people. As TV Licensing is not something really covered on a criminal law module, though we did do it on my A-Level many moons ago, I wondered where you studied. And you randomly capitalised letters which made me further curious.

Doesn't matter though. You are right.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
The fact you said "It's called Law" rather than linking to the site straight away suggested you were more interested to get into a debate about law than what the site says. I guess I am just a good reader of people. As TV Licensing is not something really covered on a criminal law module, though we did do it on my A-Level many moons ago, I wondered where you studied. And you randomly capitalised letters which made me further curious.

Doesn't matter though. You are right.

Oh, I had to get the evidence, thats why I said that. She still hasn't replied to it, after calling me out on fake news. Randomly capitalised letters? By that you mean?

Have you completed a Law degree?
(edited 6 years ago)
They are not bailiffs

You don't have to let them in.
Original post by jdddd
Oh, I had to get the evidence, thats why I said that. She still hasn't replied to it, after calling me out on fake news. Randomly capitalised letters? By that you mean?

Have you completed a Law degree?

You still asked what the other poster studied, which was quite irrelevant. You do study law, so my hunch was right.

Why do you ask me that? Are you saying you did TV Licensing on your criminal law module? And yes.
Reply 32
You still asked what the other poster studied, which was quite irrelevant. You do study law, so my hunch was right.

Why do you ask me that? Are you saying you did TV Licensing on your criminal law module? And yes.

Haha yes, well, I couldn't understand how she was so sure in her comments and since posting on/ for the BBC I had wondered if she studied Media or something. Haha it was.

No, no. Im on Criminal Law at the moment studying about Assaults. What did you go on to do, if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by jdddd
Haha yes, well, I couldn't understand how she was so sure in her comments and since posting on/ for the BBC I had wondered if she studied Media or something. Haha it was.

No, no. Im on Criminal Law at the moment studying about Assaults. What did you go on to do, if you don't mind me asking.

LLM. Hopefully on to a PhD.
Reply 34
LLM. Hopefully on to a PhD.

Wow. You're my go to guy for help then😉 Is there anything you'd recommend? Books, ways of studying etc etc? I was unsure on wether to complete a LLM, at first I wanted to go and do BPTC, but, now LPC haha What are you hoping to do, if you graduate with PhD, after?
Original post by jdddd
Wow. You're my go to guy for help then😉 Is there anything you'd recommend? Books, ways of studying etc etc? I was unsure on wether to complete a LLM, at first I wanted to go and do BPTC, but, now LPC haha What are you hoping to do, if you graduate with PhD, after?

Academia or industry.

There is no one answer; just try to keep on top of things, keep things simple, and try to be original. I don't really read the books, unless they're practitioner texts (which are more in-depth).

Quick Reply

Latest