The Student Room Group

GCSE English. Need Help Urgently...

I am struggling a lot with English and with exams around the corner, i'm getting quite worried. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve in answering the questions, structuring paragraphs etc. ?
I’m really bad as well, can’t help you sorry! What grade are you aiming for?
Reply 2
Original post by bluemuffin
I’m really bad as well, can’t help you sorry! What grade are you aiming for?

7 or more
Watch Mr Bruff on Youtube, really helpful videos.
Reply 4
eng lang is just using pdeas effectively tbh but for Q3 on paper 1 do PDEAS on structural features like foreshadow and focus shifts. eng language is just contextual factors and remembering quotes and key themes etc. hope it helps bc im dying just as much as you fam. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by isadiya
eng lang is just using pdeas effectively tbh but for Q3 on paper 1 do PDEAS on structural features like foreshadow and focus shifts. eng language is just contextual factors and remembering quotes and key themes etc. hope it helps bc im dying just as much as you fam. Good luck!

what is pdeas?
Reply 6
Original post by SaDe7
what is pdeas?

P- Point
D- Development
E- Evidence
A- Analysis

also add in effect on reader and writers method (why did he/she do this)
Original post by sanibonani
Watch Mr Bruff on Youtube, really helpful videos.

For the most part, yes - just bear in mind that at least 40% of the video length is him just shamelessly plugging his e-book!

Spoiler

But no, in all seriousness, his videos are very good and helpful - I watched all of his English Language videos just a few weeks before I sat my exams last year, and I remember talking about compound-complex sentences in one of them (still fresh in the mind from when Mr. Bruff had spoken about them!). He breaks the questions down really well, and gives some good ideas on what sort of thing the mark scheme means by having a "perceptive understanding". Highly recommended videos.
Original post by isadiya

I assume that you meant literature the second time; but yes, that's pretty much all it is.
Reply 9
MAKE IT OBVIOUS YOU ARE ZOOMING IN.
honestly, the examiners are literally a bunch of dunderheads, they need to to see you zoom in. Literally. [ily examiners, you generally give me good marks].
How is lady macbethe presented as powerful in this extract?

Lady macbeth further rejects her femininity- as women were seen weaker than men, in this era-, as she calls out to the spirits, commanding them to "come to [her] woman's breasts, and take [her] milk for gall you murdring ministers." Lady macbeth uses the the impeative "come" to command the spirits reflecting her masculine, controlling nature as she subverts the roles of typical Jacobean women, instead choosing to be intimidating and omnipotent as would the males be. In addition, she demands for her "milk" to be replaced with"gall" emphasising the power of her self-control as she users herself to cause harm to others.

you have literally seen me zoom in from that long quote to one word, sticking in some context and identifying the language device . You need to show more layers and abstract ideas to get the top bands, as well as sophistication and organisation .
So you would zoom in on another word from the SAME quote,to show "layers of analysis".
USE SYNONYMS FOR THE KEYWORD IN THE QUESTION: IN THIS CASE POWER. YOU NEED TO SHOW YOU ARE ANSWERING THE QUESTION.
hoped this helped, I'm not an expert, but i did the gcse's in year 10 :smile:
im due for a retake, as i only got a 7. :frown:
my predicted was a 9 so that's why im not satisfied, but a 7 is awesome too!
Original post by mupsman2312
For the most part, yes - just bear in mind that at least 40% of the video length is him just shamelessly plugging his e-book!

Spoiler

But no, in all seriousness, his videos are very good and helpful - I watched all of his English Language videos just a few weeks before I sat my exams last year, and I remember talking about compound-complex sentences in one of them (still fresh in the mind from when Mr. Bruff had spoken about them!). He breaks the questions down really well, and gives some good ideas on what sort of thing the mark scheme means by having a "perceptive understanding". Highly recommended videos.

Yeah, I generally skip through those parts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending