The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Best way to get to the University?

I'm trying to plan how to actually get to the university because I'm attending an offer holders day, but I'm a bit confused on how to get there.

I'm coming in from another city via train so will be either getting off at either Beeston or Nottingham station, but the buses seem to be really confusing and I'm not sure which is the fastest one and where do they leave from. Google maps has given me like 4 different options and all the buses' websites are very confusing and give no answers on a simple route. I also need to be able to buy the ticket onboard because I'm only visiting for the day.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but thanks in advance!
Original post by norskyouth
I'm trying to plan how to actually get to the university because I'm attending an offer holders day, but I'm a bit confused on how to get there.

I'm coming in from another city via train so will be either getting off at either Beeston or Nottingham station, but the buses seem to be really confusing and I'm not sure which is the fastest one and where do they leave from. Google maps has given me like 4 different options and all the buses' websites are very confusing and give no answers on a simple route. I also need to be able to buy the ticket onboard because I'm only visiting for the day.

If you're going to Nottingham station, then maybe the tram might be be a good option. It should take you from the station straight to the university.

There's some information about it here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/visitorinformation/tram-development/nottingham-tram-development.aspx
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by norskyouth

If you're going to Nottingham station then the tram might be the best option for you. It should take you straight from the station to the university campus.

There's some info here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/visitorinformation/tram-development/nottingham-tram-development.aspx
assuming you want UoN main campus, the 34 bus goes directly from the city centre (about 5 mins walk from Nottingham station) to the campus. I don't know about trent uni or other campuses though
Reply 4
Original post by aesthete1
assuming you want UoN main campus, the 34 bus goes directly from the city centre (about 5 mins walk from Nottingham station) to the campus. I don't know about trent uni or other campuses though

Yeah sorry I meant the UoN main campus. Can you buy tickets on the bus??
yes, for under 19s it's £1 one way, if over 19 you get a £3.70 all day ticket
Reply 6
Original post by aesthete1
yes, for under 19s it's £1 one way, if over 19 you get a £3.70 all day ticket

Okay, thanks!
Not dumb at all i had a nightmare getting to and from my uni interview at the clinical sciences building, i would honestly just get a taxi and waste the tenner, will pick you up and drop you off right outside the station. Unless you have never visited the city, then make a day of it and walk its really really nice, grats on the offer btw i'm still waiting to hear back.
Reply 8
Original post by tomnelson_
Not dumb at all i had a nightmare getting to and from my uni interview at the clinical sciences building, i would honestly just get a taxi and waste the tenner, will pick you up and drop you off right outside the station. Unless you have never visited the city, then make a day of it and walk its really really nice, grats on the offer btw i'm still waiting to hear back.

Yeah I've actually never been to Nottingham before so this is so confusing, and it takes about 3 hours to get there so I'm really relying on the internet pretty much. I'm a pretty fast walker so I'm honestly thinking of just walking from Beeston which would be like 20 minutes for me, and then I don't have to rely on buses and all the confusion because I'm on a tight schedule having to get there pretty early. And thanks! I got given an unconditional because I already had my results due to me being an international students and we finish at the end of the year and not mid-year.
Reply 9
Given that there was an offer holder event today, sorry if this is a bit late - but here are some options:

- Train into the station, follow the signs up to the Tram and take one of the Toton Lane trams - getting off at the University stop. Trams are more expensive than the buses if you're going for paper tickets - just to bear in mind.
- Train in to the station, exit and walk up towards the Broadmarsh shopping centre. Head across the road towards the entrance, but before going in turn right and follow the road up until you find the 34 bus stop. His bus takes you right on to the University - you can buy tickets with the NCT app or with exact change.
- I would avoid going from Beeston station as I hear it is a bit out the way even from the centre of Beeston itself. However, if you've checked the route on Maps and it's fairly quick, go for it - no need to rely on public transport :smile:

Hope this helps!
Reply 10
Original post by Ostrich
Given that there was an offer holder event today, sorry if this is a bit late - but here are some options:

- Train into the station, follow the signs up to the Tram and take one of the Toton Lane trams - getting off at the University stop. Trams are more expensive than the buses if you're going for paper tickets - just to bear in mind.
- Train in to the station, exit and walk up towards the Broadmarsh shopping centre. Head across the road towards the entrance, but before going in turn right and follow the road up until you find the 34 bus stop. His bus takes you right on to the University - you can buy tickets with the NCT app or with exact change.
- I would avoid going from Beeston station as I hear it is a bit out the way even from the centre of Beeston itself. However, if you've checked the route on Maps and it's fairly quick, go for it - no need to rely on public transport :smile:

Hope this helps!

The offer day hasn't happened yet so no worries! And thanks for your help, I'll probably catch the tram or bus but thanks for explaining it, it's been so confusing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending