The Student Room Group

Dropping physics when applying for Maths

Since around December I have been considering this:

I am planning on applying for university to study maths- hopefully at Durham (my current aspiration)- and am currently studying 4 AS levels (maths, further, physics and chem). However, I have been very stressed about exams- I am not really doing much maths/ fm revision- I'm doing fine in class however I am not spending as much time as I would like revising for my maths subjects.

Thus, I have been considering dropping physics without the AS: I'm not in a particularly happy place with respect to exams and feel that extra workload with physics could potentially cause a drop in my internal/ external AS results.

I was wondering if anyone could inform me if they think it is a suitable decision with respect to university admissions- I.e. Would universities look down on the lack of an AS in physics? Could it lead to universities potentially opting for other candidates over myself. I am aware it will help me get extra ucas points but I don't feel that it is worth the risk of the drop in quality of my other subject results.
Original post by psc---maths
Since around December I have been considering this:

I am planning on applying for university to study maths- hopefully at Durham (my current aspiration)- and am currently studying 4 AS levels (maths, further, physics and chem). However, I have been very stressed about exams- I am not really doing much maths/ fm revision- I'm doing fine in class however I am not spending as much time as I would like revising for my maths subjects.

Thus, I have been considering dropping physics without the AS: I'm not in a particularly happy place with respect to exams and feel that extra workload with physics could potentially cause a drop in my internal/ external AS results.

I was wondering if anyone could inform me if they think it is a suitable decision with respect to university admissions- I.e. Would universities look down on the lack of an AS in physics? Could it lead to universities potentially opting for other candidates over myself. I am aware it will help me get extra ucas points but I don't feel that it is worth the risk of the drop in quality of my other subject results.

What are the uni entry requirements?
Original post by alleycat393
What are the uni entry requirements?

A*AA /with TMUA or A*A*A without- I believe.
A*AA /with TMUA or A*A*A without- I believe.

Do they specify physics (unlikely)?
Original post by alleycat393
Do they specify physics (unlikely)?

No- I was referring to the views of admissions people- would they look (up?) on having Physics instead of chemistry in such a way that reduces my chance of getting an offer.
(edited 6 years ago)
No- I was referring to the views of admissions people- would they look down on having Physics instead of chemistry in such a way that reduces my chance of getting an offer.

Nope. If you don't need it they won't worry about it or 'look down' on not having it. Do the subjects that will get you the best possible grades and help you to meet the entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest