The Student Room Group

Driver getting up my ass

Hi all,

I just want to get a second opinion. I was just pulling out of my drive and going along my road at the speed limit of 30, and in the rear mirror i see a van shoot up the road and get right up my ass trying to force me out the way. I was coming up to a slight bend, i brake check him a little and he decides to try overtake me. I move the car over to the side just so he cant get pastt, i was furious out of this point ans stuck my middle finger out at him. Now i think of it i shouldn't have done that but if i hadn't there was a risk he could have put me in a bad situation as theres usually cars parked on the left that i have to overtake. Guy decided to honk at me when we got to the roundabout endlessly. Do you think i was doing anything wrong, or was he just being bang out of order?
Reply 1
Guy in a van being a twonk. Ignore it.
You probably shouldn’t have stuck your middle finger up at him.

You’ll get some absolute ********s on the road, just ignore them.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

I move the car over to the side just so he cant get pastt

If he wants to break the limit then that's his business; I would've let him get on with it and not get involved. Then it would've ended there and wouldn't be a big deal.
Don't brake test. It isn't worth the hassle and as a new driver if he hits you it's gonna hurt you more than it'll hurt him, financially.

If you're not a new driver I still wouldn't do it, do you really fancy getting that rear bumper repaired?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi all,

I just want to get a second opinion. I was just pulling out of my drive and going along my road at the speed limit of 30, and in the rear mirror i see a van shoot up the road and get right up my ass trying to force me out the way. I was coming up to a slight bend, i brake check him a little and he decides to try overtake me. I move the car over to the side just so he cant get pastt, i was furious out of this point ans stuck my middle finger out at him. Now i think of it i shouldn't have done that but if i hadn't there was a risk he could have put me in a bad situation as theres usually cars parked on the left that i have to overtake. Guy decided to honk at me when we got to the roundabout endlessly. Do you think i was doing anything wrong, or was he just being bang out of order?

You prevented him from overtaking.. on purpose?
You're a bad driver.
Don't prevent people from overtaking in the future. If he wants to get past then just let him go and then you can get on with your life.
Original post by IWMTom
You prevented him from overtaking.. on purpose?
You're a bad driver.

I was coming up to a corner and it would have potentially led me going into the cars parked up if i couldnt move over. In hindsight I should have just let him pass though. As i say it was on a corner too where thw road narrowed a little
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Don't prevent people from overtaking in the future. If he wants to get past then just let him go and then you can get on with your life.

Yea ive learnt now, there was potential for him to block me overtaking parked cars though which would have meant me rear ending them.
Original post by Drewski
Guy in a van being a twonk. Ignore it.

Too true 😕
By the sound of what the OP is saying it was a single carriageway road. They were going the speed limit, he should therefore not even consider overtaking. Especially round a corner.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Callum123456
Yea ive learnt now, there was potential for him to block me overtaking parked cars though which would have meant me rear ending them.

"I move the car over to the side just so he cant get past"

It's simple, don't move, just slow down, haz light if you have to, and let him pass, then you won't be rear ending any cars (unless your planning is awful). If he goes for a blind overtake and screws it up let it be his problem, not yours.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
"I move the car over to the side just so he cant get past"

It's simple, don't move, just slow down, haz light if you have to, and let him pass, then you won't be rear ending any cars (unless your planning is awful). If he goes for a blind overtake and screws it up let it be his problem, not yours.

Yea true mate, gotta not let my rage get to me! Cheers
i brake check him a little
Don't. A 'brake check' (to me) means that you broke suddently and hard - that's dangerous. Personally, I'd just stay at the same speed and ignroe them. I might flash the brake lights without actually braking though.

I move the car over to the side just so he cant get pastt

Adjusting your position, within a lane, coming up to a bend is fine. Anything more could be dangerous.

i was furious out of this point ans stuck my middle finger out at him

It's not worth it. Concentrate on your driving. You could get a dashcam.
(edited 6 years ago)
That must have been painful. :tongue:
Original post by Andrew97
By the sound of what the OP is saying it was a single carriageway road. They were going the speed limit, he should therefore not even consider overtaking. Especially round a corner.

Ideally yeah, but you just have to accept the fact that there are idiots on the road and if they're in that much of a rush, just let them go and get them out of your hair. If they wanna risk their lives to save a bit of time then I want them doing it as far away from me as possible, so I'm more than happy to let them past.
It doesn't matter who is and who is not in the wrong in these situations. With these idiot drivers the best thing you can do is drive safely and consistently, therefore if he was to perform a unsafe and stupid manouvere he can predict you better and you won't get caught up in it.

I have been driving by myself since January and I have come across more idiots than I can count. If you do not like a driver being behind you just pull up in a layby or the next avaliable safe space and let them pass.
Never brake check people, its extremely dangerous. Sounds like this guy was being a **** but preventing him from overtaking and brake checking him will probably only make it worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending