The Student Room Group

Undergraduate placement moving to London

Taking a placement year between my 2nd and 3rd year moving from Newcastle down to London. My work is on the south bank of Thames, Lambeth.

Need advice - where to live? Start in June 2018, how much can I expect to pay for rent per person for 3-5 people? Reputable estate agents? Areas to avoid / not avoid? Areas popular with students? Travel? Any advice? Cheers student room
Original post by Oliverbond
Taking a placement year between my 2nd and 3rd year moving from Newcastle down to London. My work is on the south bank of Thames, Lambeth.

Need advice - where to live? Start in June 2018, how much can I expect to pay for rent per person for 3-5 people? Reputable estate agents? Areas to avoid / not avoid? Areas popular with students? Travel? Any advice? Cheers student room

Wow a lot of questions and clearly very little research done already. Look at things like transport links and how you will get to work. Is it 3-5 people looking to live together in which case rightmove is a good place to start. Otherwise look at spareroom. Make sure you view before putting down a deposit and ask about deposit protection. London moves very quickly so look maybe a month in advance. You can expect to pay anywhere above £350 a month for a room but weigh up cost of accommodation vs transport.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Wow a lot of questions and clearly very little research done already. Look at things like transport links and how you will get to work. Is it 3-5 people looking to live together in which case rightmove is a good place to start. Otherwise look at spareroom. Make sure you view before putting down a deposit and ask about deposit protection. London moves very quickly so look maybe a month in advance. You can expect to pay anywhere above £350 a month for a room but weigh up cost of accommodation vs transport.

Thanks for your evaluation of my existing research! There are plenty of unwritten rules about living in London only Londoners know it seems! Thanks for your help - any opinions on places like Clapham or Brixton, or elsewhere south of the river? Cheers
Original post by Oliverbond
Thanks for your evaluation of my existing research! There are plenty of unwritten rules about living in London only Londoners know it seems! Thanks for your help - any opinions on places like Clapham or Brixton, or elsewhere south of the river? Cheers

Cheaper, in the case of Clapham, trendy, Brixton people will have mixed reviews of. A lot depends on whether you're the sort of person who doesn't mind an alternative vibe or is intimidated by it and feels unsafe. I live in east London north of the river and my partner was adamant about not living in south London but there are some nice areas such as Greenwich. That's why i said go and view and spend some time walking around the area. Work out where shops are and how long it takes to get to the nearest bus or tube stop. These are things you would do no matter where you are looking to live, not just in London.
Reply 4
Lambeth? Best to carry a knife, and don't go out after dark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending