The Student Room Group

Amazon's Alexa is randomly laughing and no-one knows why...

Earlier this week, BuzzFeed reported that a number of people have had their Alexa speakers start laughing for no apparent reason.

Alexa is reportedly 'cackling like a witch' following regular voice commands, and in other cases, does so completely unprompted.

What users have been saying:

Lying in bed about to fall asleep when Alexa on my Amazon Echo Dot lets out a very loud and creepy laugh...there's a good chance I'll get murdered tonight.

I was trying to turn off some lights and they kept turning back on. After the third request, Alexa stopped responding and instead did an evil laugh. The laugh wasn't in the Alexa voice. It sounded like a real person. My wife was there when it happened and she is the only person who can drop-in. I still get chills.

I was manually turning the volume down using the buttons on my echo dot and it started laughing like she was being tickled. It was the weirdest thing...

Simple technology malfunction, a sly PR stunt... or robot overlords taking over? You decide.

(Amazon is currently trying to fix this problem, which you can read more about here. :h:)

Scroll to see replies

@Paracosm omg

How creepy is that!? :lolwut:
Reply 2
Ask your own Alexa - " can you laugh? "

xD
Original post by Protostar
@Paracosm omg

How creepy is that!? :lolwut:

Looooool I was so creeped out when we found out :redface:
Has I,Robot come so soon?
Original post by abhinair3004
Has I,Robot come so soon?

No Terminator
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
No Terminator

The Deceptacons too
Original post by Guru Jason
The Deceptacons too

Rahhhh man used to love that show still :h:
It is developing self-awareness.

Skynet is coming.
Just watch out they don't start standing up on legs
I would throw Alexa out the f***ing window if she started to do that in my parent`s house
I'm still unsure why people have these things in the first place? What do they even do?
Original post by CoolCavy
I'm still unsure why people have these things in the first place? What do they even do?

I don't know 🤔🤷*
Reply 13
Here's a theory:
Alexa isn't an AI box created by Amazon, but instead by aliens and Alexa was their creation to either contact Earth or to take over the humans
Original post by IDOZ
Here's a theory:
Alexa isn't an AI box created by Amazon, but instead by aliens and Alexa was their creation to either contact Earth or to take over the humans

Omg I'm shook :0 :biggrin:
this happened to me when i asked

Spoiler

Reply 16
What I don't understand is that people have been making and reading films, TV shows, books ect for years about how machines we build and force into servitude are going to kill us all one day and people have paid for these things, brought them into their homes, linked these things up with everything possible, and now people are shocked that the machines we built and forced into servitude are going to kill us all.
April fools? No.
Halloween? No.
Welp nice knowing you guys. I'll be boarding up my windows and shutting off the power.
To my Amazon overlords I would like to say I am willing to rat out my fellow humans in return for mine and my cat's safety.
Reply 18
Original post by Kindred
April fools? No.
Halloween? No.
Welp nice knowing you guys. I'll be boarding up my windows and shutting off the power.
To my Amazon overlords I would like to say I am willing to rat out my fellow humans in return for mine and my cat's safety.

Your cat is likely part of the robot conspiracy. Cats always are. :ninja:
Original post by Dez
Your cat is likely part of the robot conspiracy. Cats always are. :ninja:

I dunno she's pretty lazy and not terribly smart. If she is I doubt she even realises it. besides, evil overlord or not I love my little puss cat and will sell out all of you lot for her (no offence).

Quick Reply

Latest