The Student Room Group

International Women's Day 2018 - #PressForProgress

8th March is International Women's Day 2018 and the theme this year is #PressForProgress

Gender inequality is still a huge issue across the globe so it's a really important issue to discuss. The World Economic Forum predicts that the gender gap won't close until 2186. This is too long to wait. Through discussion, awareness, understanding, and change we can help to close this gap sooner.

Last year, organisations and individuals from around the world supported the #BeBoldForChange campaign and committed to helping women and girls achieve their ambitions; value women and men's contributions equally; challenge conscious and unconscious bias; call for gender-balanced leadership, and create inclusive flexible cultures for all.

The important thing to remember is that no matter your opinions on certain women or different 'waves' of feminism, gender equality still matters. It's certainly not a women's only event either! The point is equality between genders, not them battling it out. It's something that affects all of us.

Why should it matter to me?

Regardless of your age, gender, sexuality, location, education etc., gender inequality affects us all. Advancing gender equality is so important to all areas of a healthy society, from reducing poverty to promoting the health, education, protection and the well-being of girls and boys.

What can we do to help fix this issue?

Discuss! Even just discussing the issue helps raise awareness and understanding

Take action! Speak up if you notice your peers failing to take female figures of authority seriously because of their gender, and when you notice discrimination against them

Support! Stand behind campaigns to end harmful practices against women and girls such as FGM, and to change harmful laws that limit the rights of girls and women

Fundraise or donate! Funding education for women and girls all over the world can help them gain access to greater opportunities

Empower! Encourage your female peers to be successful, and to never back down

Address! There are many unconscious biases that can form often unintended and invisible barriers to gender equality. Don't ignore them!

Learn! Stay educated on gender inequality and how it happens around the world. Don't be afraid to ask for more information from people that know! The worst thing you can do is put your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist, or ignore how serious it is

Threads you may be interested in:
Who are your female role models?
What progress do you want to see for women?
What women inspire you?
Gender Inequality at the Oscars 2018
Quiz!
Men supporting women and equality
Women in the workplace
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ah yes the Gender pay gap that has been disproven or shown to not be discrimination (In most of the modern western world)
Original post by AperfectBalance
Ah yes the Gender pay gap that has been disproven or shown to not be discrimination (In most of the modern western world)

International Women's Day :wink:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
International Women's Day :wink:

Yet it is a statistic that is used to show inequality in all of the west too, hence also why I said that it was not equal in all non western countries
Yet it is a statistic that is used to show inequality in all of the west too, hence also why I said that it was not equal in all non western countries

Doesn't make it any less of an issue in other places. Instead of slamming the idea of it happening here, how about using your knowledge to raise awareness of it happening elsewhere?
Doesn't make it any less of an issue in other places. Instead of slamming the idea of it happening here, how about using your knowledge to raise awareness of it happening elsewhere?

I am not trying to say that it is not happening in other places, I directly said that it is, but Feminists always go on about the gender pay gap in countries where it does not exist and fail to do anything about other countries

And I am raising awareness, I am saying that this is incorrect and saying that prehaps they should do something about those other countries where problems actually go on since I am all for actually equality, not the fake equality a rare amount of the left preach
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
8th March is International Women's Day 2018 and the theme this year is #PressForProgress

Gender inequality is still a huge issue across the globe so it's a really important issue to discuss. The World Economic Forum predicts that the gender gap won't close until 2186. This is too long to wait. Through discussion, awareness, understanding, and change we can help to close this gap sooner.

Last year, organisations and individuals from around the world supported the #BeBoldForChange campaign and committed to helping women and girls achieve their ambitions; value women and men's contributions equally; challenge conscious and unconscious bias; call for gender-balanced leadership, and create inclusive flexible cultures for all.

The important thing to remember is that no matter your opinions on certain women or different 'waves' of feminism, gender equality still matters. It's certainly not a women's only event either! The point is equality between genders, not them battling it out. It's something that affects all of us.

Regardless of your age, gender, sexuality, location, education etc., gender inequality affects us all. Advancing gender equality is so important to all areas of a healthy society, from reducing poverty to promoting the health, education, protection and the well-being of girls and boys.

Take action! Speak up if you notice your peers failing to take female figures of authority seriously because of their gender, and when you notice discrimination against them

Support! Stand behind campaigns to end harmful practices against women and girls such as FGM, and to change harmful laws that limit the rights of girls and women

Fundraise or donate! Funding education for women and girls all over the world can help them gain access to greater opportunities

Address! There are many unconscious biases that can form often unintended and invisible barriers to gender equality. Don't ignore them!

Learn! Stay educated on gender inequality and how it happens around the world. Don't be afraid to ask for more information from people that know! The worst thing you can do is put your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist, or ignore how serious it is

What women inspire you?

:borat:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/research/research-intelligence-gender-bias-hides-even-in-open-minds/421746.article
(and the study it discusses that was carried out by Yale http://www.pnas.org/content/109/41/16474 )
:flute:
Reply 8

It's a bit ironic you're wasting kilobytes ranting about this when @chelseadagg3r's original post didn't even mention the pay gap at all. As if this one issue completely negates the entire concept of gender inequality. The issue is far more complex than simply making sure people get paid a fair wage.

An interesting thing about the study is that it implies that women academics have the largest gender bias of the two and also that male academics are more likely to give more mentoring time.

Also note, male academics put the female candidate only 1000 dollars behind the male, where as the female academic put the female 2000 behind.

Also the total that the female is behind is approx 4000, meaning the sample of academics is largely female, which as people keep telling us is not representative of STEM fields, so I think a better more comprehensive study is needed to really judge the validity of this study i.e a lot more academics with the correct ratio of male and female.

Another thing, is that I'd like a study like this for all faculties, and to see if there is also such a bias in fields where women are the majority of faculty.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zetamcfc
An interesting thing about the study is that it implies that women academics have the largest gender bias of the two and also that male academics are more likely to give more mentoring time.

Also note, male academics put the female candidate only 1000 dollars behind the male, where as the female academic put the female 2000 behind.

Also the total that the female is behind is approx 4000, meaning the sample of academics is largely female, which as people keep telling us is not representative of STEM fields, so I think a better more comprehensive study is needed to really judge the validity of this study i.e a lot more academics with the correct ratio of male and female.

Getting the funding for studies like this is a problem. They're not simple things to carry out (sourcing participants and the ethical approval of researching with human subjects who are kept uninformed about the nature of the research is not easy). And of course there's a resistance from people who think that "there is no gender pay gap". And of course "fixing" a problem like unconscious/implicit bias is more complex than addressing someone obviously breaking the law on equal pay.

Similar studies in the 80s had the same sorts of results as this one - and there are ~5 studies around the world demonstrating a similar pattern of bias in recruitment based on race. Making unequal pay illegal doesn't fix things overnight (or even in a few decades!).

Another thing, is that I'd like a study like this for all faculties, and to see if there is also such a bias in fields where women are the majority of faculty.

You might find http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09pl66d is helpful in unpicking the research about why implicit bias is something that affects all of us :yes:
Original post by PQ
Getting the funding for studies like this is a problem. They're not simple things to carry out (sourcing participants and the ethical approval of researching with human subjects who are kept uninformed about the nature of the research is not easy). And of course there's a resistance from people who think that "there is no gender pay gap". And of course "fixing" a problem like unconscious/implicit bias is more complex than addressing someone obviously breaking the law on equal pay.

Similar studies in the 80s had the same sorts of results as this one - and there are ~5 studies around the world demonstrating a similar pattern of bias in recruitment based on race. Making unequal pay illegal doesn't fix things overnight (or even in a few decades!).

The reason funding is short for thing like this, is that if there was a lot, there would inevitably the studies concerning intelligence/crime based on race, gender, socio-economic background. Which are considered unethical for some reason. Which is rather sad, as any advance of knowledge is a good thing.
Original post by PQ
You might find http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09pl66d is helpful in unpicking the research about why implicit bias is something that affects all of us :yes:

Do you know if there is a transcript of this? I don't really like listening to learn things I need to read unfortunately :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you know if there is a transcript of this? I don't really like listening to learn things :/

The linked article covers some of it but no there's not a full transcript.

What women inspire you?
Gender Inequality at the Oscars 2018
Quiz!

Totally agree that there is huge gender gap! We've just put up a blog post on our website on the inequality of our actuarial members - we have significantly more men within the sector and need to encourage more females to STEM related careers and subjects.
Original post by InstituteAndFacultyofActuaries
Totally agree that there is huge gender gap! We've just put up a blog post on our website on the inequality of our actuarial members - we have significantly more men within the sector and need to encourage more females to STEM related careers and subjects.

Top tip
The opposite of men is not
I am not trying to say that it is not happening in other places, I directly said that it is, but Feminists always go on about the gender pay gap in countries where it does not exist and fail to do anything about other countries

And I am raising awareness, I am saying that this is incorrect and saying that prehaps they should do something about those other countries where problems actually go on since I am all for actually equality, not the fake equality a lare amount of the left preach

Worth a read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43129339
without any discussion, HAPPY women's Day!!!:u:

I don't think that is the point this person is trying to make. The point is that if you applied a multivariate analysis using a statistical regression equation, you'll find that discrimination only accounts for a maximum of 3% of the pay gap. Mostly it is caused by the factors listed on the table of page 18 of this report.

https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/public-policy/hr-public-policy-issues/Documents/Gender%20Wage%20Gap%20Final%20Report.pdf

If you wish to encourage women to enter these fields then more power to you. But if you wish to say that the pay gap is problematic then please consider revising this opinion.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest