The Student Room Group

Spanish women halt work for a day in first feminist strike

Womyn in Spain are entering the country's first feminist strike, which aims to highlight womens' average earnings being below that of men.

This wasn't just limited to the workplace, however. Some of the most progressive feminist students even took it upon themselves to unburden other femyle students from attending the patrionormative lectures (can you believe the STATE actually employs men to MANSPLAIN all day?).

https://i.imgur.com/JgjlO3b.gifv

Here is their manifesto:
http://hacialahuelgafeminista.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Manifiesto-8M-estatal-ENG.pdf

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why are you deliberately spelling woman and females wrong? Do they not teach you how to spell at 'alt-right' school?
Original post by 27FT
Why are you deliberately spelling woman and females wrong? Do they not teach you how to spell at 'alt-right' school?

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/fe/20/ef/fe20ef39f292ea9f3ef8c61f5f96dfb3--pin-up-art-pin-up-girls.jpg

¡que momento de estar vivo!

ermm i think you are unhappy with Angery Penguin's spelling. so it can be confusing all this internet business ! :console:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 27FT

"Womyn" is Femspeak for woman/women. Some feminists object to the presence of men in their very nouns. Others object to the apparent insinuating that males are the norm and females (or women) are the exception.

Do you have trigglypuff-tier podgy hands, or did you actually mean to quote bear?

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AngeryPenguin
"Womyn" is Femspeak for woman/women. Some feminists object to the presence of men in their very nouns. Others object to the apparent insinuating that males are the norm and females (or women) are the exception.

Do you have trigglypuff-tier podgy hands, or did you actually mean to quote bear?

Spoiler

I've never met a single feminist using the word womyn or femyle in my entire life.
Original post by 27FT
I've never met a single feminist using the word womyn or femyle in my entire life.

And I doubt you've ever met an alt-right person in your entire life, so why are you throwing that label around?
And I doubt you've ever met an alt-right person in your entire life, so why are you throwing that label around?

Actually, I have. Unfortunately.
"aims to highlight womens' average"

*womyn

How dare you disrespect the feminists?
I believe the more inclusive term is womxn as that includes women of colour
"Womyn in Spain are entering the country's first feminist strike, which aims to highlight womens' average earnings being below that of men."

Could that be because they are employed on average for less hours in less difficult, lower paying fields?
Original post by Just my opinion
"Womyn in Spain are entering the country's first feminist strike, which aims to highlight womens' average earnings being below that of men."

Could that be because they are employed on average for less hours in less difficult, lower paying fields?

No no, it must be sexism, it’s impossible for it to be anything else. To even suggest a sensible, alternative cause makes you a misogynistic, rape apologist
Aw ya got me. 😟

Spoiler

I think you missed a step. It's womxn now. XX. Not XY :wink:
Original post by Just my opinion

Anecdotal but saw a tweet where a female OB-GYN was dismayed at lower rate of men in her profession. Why? Because if there were no men in that profession they fear it would be seen as less valuable, cuz women. Another example is actors and actresses. They do the same job but it's perceived that men are more valuable so they get paid more Why?

The question you should be asking is why does society value women's work less?
Reply 15
Original post by yudothis
Anecdotal but saw a tweet where a female OB-GYN was dismayed at lower rate of men in her profession. Why? Because if there were no men in that profession they fear it would be seen as less valuable, cuz women. Another example is actors and actresses. They do the same job but it's perceived that men are more valuable so they get paid more Why?

Don’t compare actors to a job, actors get paid based on how well known they are for example Jennifer Lawrence will get paid more than John boyega because shes bigger nothing to do with gender
Original post by Itsthe
Don’t compare actors to a job, actors get paid based on how well known they are for example Jennifer Lawrence will get paid more than John boyega because shes bigger nothing to do with gender

That's presumption. Are you saying male actors are in general more well known? I think you will find that hard to prove. And it isn't about jobs. It's about value placed on something.
lol, ****ing idiots.
Women strike...life carries on as normal.

If men did a strike the entire world would collapse overnight.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yudothis

For one thing women unionise far less than men and women go on strike far less than men.
Perfect example is the recent bin men Vs Dinner Ladies working for Birmingham City Council.
In the whole history of Dinner Ladies working for the council they have never gone on strike to improve their wages. Every time management said you are only getting 1% or even no wage rise for the next three years the dinner lady said "oh ok"
Bin men on the other hand have a long history of taking strike action, some would say at the drop of a hat, to improve their terms conditions and wage offers. 60 or 70 years of frequent strike action and facing down your employer in wage negotiations tends to have an effect on your wage level.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply