The Student Room Group

International Women's Day 2018 - #PressForProgress

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 27FT
ah well done for making a day designated for woman about men just like every other day. I'm sure every inequality in the world and any discrimination males face have been cured. You deserve a pat on the back c:

You've managed to completely misread and misinterpret my post. And then on top of that you then decided the best reaction to your 100% wrong interpretation was this condescendingly rude reply? :sigh: You can kindly naff off with that attitude, I have no time for it.

For the record, I consider gender equality an important issue and I fully back the team's efforts in supporting IWD.
Original post by Dez
You've managed to completely misread and misinterpret my post. And then on top of that you then decided the best reaction to your 100% wrong interpretation was this condescendingly rude reply? :sigh: You can kindly naff off with that attitude, I have no time for it.

For the record, I consider gender equality an important issue and I fully back the team's efforts in supporting IWD.

Sorry i just realised I replied to the wrong person. I wasn't meant to reply to you but the poster you were addressing in your post; My bad, I should have checked beforehand
Original post by Dez
It's a bit ironic you're wasting kilobytes ranting about this when @chelseadagg3r's original post didn't even mention the pay gap at all. As if this one issue completely negates the entire concept of gender inequality. The issue is far more complex than simply making sure people get paid a fair wage.

"The World Economic Forum predicts that the gender gap won't close until 2186. This is too long to wait. Through discussion, awareness, understanding, and change we can help to close this gap sooner."

It Clearly did mention it as this being some gap, inequality does factor the wage gap into it and I am stating that the Gap does not Exist in most of the modern western world, and once again words are being put in my mouth I have never even suggested that just because this is solved that it means that it is solved everywhere or that there are no problems.
(edited 6 years ago)

Ok I had a quick skim read through that and it just seems like it is talking about Hiring biases nothing to do with the pay gap
Original post by AperfectBalance
"The World Economic Forum predicts that the gender gap won't close until 2186. This is too long to wait. Through discussion, awareness, understanding, and change we can help to close this gap sooner."

It Clearly did mention it as this being some gap, inequality does factor the wage gap into it and I am stating that the Gap does not Exist in most of the modern western world, and once again words are being put in my mouth I have never even suggested that just because this is solved that it means that it is solved everywhere or that there are no problems.

The gap, not pay gap. The gap in general. The gap between genders, the gap that makes us unequal. You just chose to focus on something that wasn't mentioned

"Unlike pay inequality - which compares the wages of men and women doing the same job - a gender pay difference at a company is not illegal, but could possibly reflect discrimination"

This is not saying that men and women doing the exact same hours, for the exact same job and the exact same time, one company explained that women were more often cabin crew (lower paying) and men were often pilots (higher paying) and this can easily account for why overall women get less, nothing to do with discrimination.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
The gap, not pay gap. The gap in general. The gap between genders, the gap that makes us unequal. You just chose to focus on something that wasn't mentioned

Ok so using the world ECONOMIC Forum to talk about a gender gap really does suggest this is about money for the most part, the wage gap (That is very real in many non western countries) is a part of this gap and something that is a key point for feminism
Ok I had a quick skim read through that and it just seems like it is talking about Hiring biases nothing to do with the pay gap

I'd recommend you read it more thoroughly then :yes:
Ok so using the world ECONOMIC Forum to talk about a gender gap really does suggest this is about money for the most part, the wage gap (That is very real in many non western countries) is a part of this gap and something that is a key point for feminism

Taking this directly from their gender gap report:

The Global Gender Gap Report benchmarks 144 countries on their progress towards gender parity across four thematic dimensions: Economic Participation and Opportunity, Educational Attainment, Health and Survival, and Political Empowerment.*
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Taking this directly from their gender gap report:

The Global Gender Gap Report benchmarks 144 countries on their progress towards gender parity across four thematic dimensions: Economic Participation and Opportunity, Educational Attainment, Health and Survival, and Political Empowerment.*

Glad we can agree then
"Economic Participation"
A question to everyone on this forum. Did the staff on this forum do a thread for international men's day? Think about this for a moment and what it tells you about this forum's bias and political agenda.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
A question to everyone on this forum. Did the staff on this forum do a thread for international men's day? Think about this for a moment and what it tells you about this site's political agenda.

There was a thread - why didn't you post in it?

That tells us all a lot about your political agenda :indiff:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5056862
Glad we can agree then
"Economic Participation"

Glad we can agree then
"Economic Participation"

Economic participation refers to things like rate of people in the workforce/unemployment rather than, or at least rather than solely, their pay if I understand correctly. Have asked for clarification though from someone who will understand better
Reply 33
Original post by 27FT
Sorry i just realised I replied to the wrong person. I wasn't meant to reply to you but the poster you were addressing in your post; My bad, I should have checked beforehand

Okay no worries. :smile: I think you should try and avoid that sort of tone though, putting people on the offensive has a tendency to backfire.
Original post by PQ

Never change, PQ.
can you remind me when International Men's Day falls this year ?

:holmes:
I think we can all appreciate that there are at least some inequalities affecting at least some women/ girls in at least some countries so instead of picking at one short summary of things how about we all just enjoy the day and have a think about the inequalities that do exist, whatever they may be, or the progress that has already been made.
Original post by PQ

You call asking people whether they are going to celebrate it or not a thread.... you compare that one line thread to this? bit desperate aren't you?

I remember you from last year lecturing me (a medical student) on what students need to get into medicine. I remember you telling me that people need chemistry to get into it....A know nothing, know it all...haven't changed much have you?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by the bear
can you remind me when International Men's Day falls this year ?

:holmes:

If you're interested in IMD then I'd recommend following allyfogg on twitter. He does a lot of work around IMD and helping address problems that affect men and boys specifically.
Original post by CookieButter
You compare asking people whether they are going to celebrate it or not a thread.... you compare that one line thread to this? bit desperate aren't you?

I remember you from last year lecturing me (a medical student) on what students need to get into medicine. I remember you telling me that people need chemistry to get into it....A know nothing, know it all...haven't changed much have you?

You've literally been proven wrong when trying to make an edgy point that men are being underrepresented on TSR and that we're somehow biased and yet still you're trying to talk people down and feign intellectual superiority. You've been called out, you need to own it, be a bit more humble and less accusing in future and stop insulting people please. Thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply