The Student Room Group

Six hours of lessons. Is this normal progress?

I started learning to drive approximately 2 weeks ago. I decided that two hourly lessons were probably best. (I am an older student mid 30s) and have very little confidence in my own abilities.

I finished my 3rd lesson today- so 6 hours of practice so far and I am unsure as to whether I am progressing or not as my instructor isn't really giving me much feedback if I'm being totally honest.

So far I have covered: Left turns, T-junctions and roundabouts (Mini, medium and large) and I drove a small bit on a two lane dual carriageway. That was my first two hours of tuition.

Second lesson was clutch control and hill starts and going over the left turns and roundabouts. (I also did one right turn that was a box junction) I came away from that lesson feeling like a total muppet as I managed to stall the car twice and stick it in the wrong gear. When I did put it in the wrong gear my instructor took my hand off the gear stick and tapped the back of my hand.

Today was my third lesson and I'm now 6 hours in to my tuition. Today I drove on a national speed limit road (only completely petrified!!) Again many, many roundabouts of varying sizes, right turns, obviously left turns as well.
As I got home he encouraged me to try and paralell park the car outside my house. I did manage it but I could feel his feet on the pedals a whole lot so I'm pretty sure he did most of the work.

I always come away from my lessons feeling really, really dense. I'm a perfectionist and the smallest mistake will leave me beating myself up.

I make stupid mistakes like bringing my foot off the gas before I put the clutch down to change gear. (I do it simultaneously) rather than leave my foot on the gas whilst I put my foot down. I am cautious about going across the centre line of the road when passing parked cars, especially when a ruddy great bus or lorry are coming towards me. I either hug the kerb too much or drive too far from it and roundabouts scare the living life out of me.

I wanted to be at test standard by summer as I cycle to work at the moment and so to be driving before the Autumn when the weather turns nasty again is my goal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Superfluous
I started learning to drive approximately 2 weeks ago. I decided that two hourly lessons were probably best. (I am an older student mid 30s) and have very little confidence in my own abilities.

I finished my 3rd lesson today- so 6 horus of practice so far and I am unsure as to whether I am progressing or not as my instructor isn't really giving me much feedback if I'm being totally honest.

So far I have covered: Left turns, T-junctions and roundabouts (Mini, medium and large) and I drove a small bit on a two lane dual carriageway. That was my first two hours of tuition.

Second lesson was clutch control and hill starts and going over the left turns and roundabouts. (I also did one right turn that was a box junction) I came away from that lesson feeling like a total muppet as I managed to stall the car twice and stick it in the wrong gear. When I did put it in the wrong gear my instructor took my hand off the gear stick and tapped the back of my hand.

Today was my third lesson and I'm now 6 hours in to my tuition. Today I drove on a national speed limit road (only completely petrified!!) Again many, many roundabouts of varying sizes, right turns, obviously left turns as well.
As I got home he encouraged me to try and paralell park the cark outside my house. I did manage it but I could feel his feet on the pedals a whole lot so I'm pretty sure he did most of the work.

I always come away from my lessons feeling really, really dense. I'm a perfectionist and the smallest mistake will leave me beating myself up.

I make stupid mistakes like bringing my foot off the gas before I put the clutch down to change gear. (I do it simultaneously) rather than leave my foot on the gas whilst I put my foot down. I am cautious about going across the centre line of the road when passing parked cars, especially when a ruddy great bus or lorry are coming towards me. I either hug the kerb too much or drive too far from it and roundabouts scare the living life out of me.

I wanted to be at test standard by summer as I cycle to work at the moment and so to be driving before the Autumn when the weather turns nasty again is my goal.

Sounds completely normal.

Spoiler

Reply 2

I finished my 3rd lesson today- so 6 horus of practice so far and I am unsure as to whether I am progressing or not as my instructor isn't really giving me much feedback if I'm being totally honest.

As I got home he encouraged me to try and paralell park the cark outside my house. I did manage it but I could feel his feet on the pedals a whole lot so I'm pretty sure he did most of the work.

I think you're ahead of most people at this stage. These mistakes you've made too are expected at this stage too. By my third lesson I hadn't even been around large roundabouts or practised many manoeuvres and especially not hill starts. Sounds like you are doing well tbh
Given the issues you're having, yeah you're fine. I don't even think I saw a roundabout by my 6th lesson.
Reply 4
I'm on my second driving instructor and one thing it's taught me is there's no such thing as normal progression. First instructor in the first two hour lesson had me going round motorway roundabouts, down dual carriageways, small residential roads, all types of turn and parallel parking.

Second instructor didn't have me on the same roads until my 5th hour of lessons with them.

If you're (relatively) comfortable, but not finding it boring and easy, then you're progressing at the right pace. Simple as that.
Don’t worry about the mistakes you’ve been making. People get the wrong gear and stall all the time,
Original post by Andrew97
Don’t worry about the mistakes you’ve been making. People get the wrong gear and stall all the time,

Also this.

I didn't stop stalling until my 2nd week of driving AFTER passing. Although this was largely due to going into third instead of first, same as you. I always used to wonder how at the lights people pull off basically immediately from amber, eventually that will be you.
Reply 7
That's all quite reassuring to hear. Thank you. I tend to be a worrier and that leads me to overthink every move I'm making.

Original post by nevershear

I didn't stop stalling until my 2nd week of driving AFTER passing. Although this was largely due to going into third instead of first, same as you. I always used to wonder how at the lights people pull off basically immediately from amber, eventually that will be you.

I get very jittery at junctions and roundabouts because my instructor is like: ""Ok you can go. Go on!" and I'm still trying to lift the clutch but not too much incase I stall it. Then there's the applying the correct amount of pressure to the gas that I can't seem to figure out as I try and pull away. I either don't apply enough or I apply too much.

I absolutely hate feeling like I don't know what I'm doing.
Reply 8

I make stupid mistakes like bringing my foot off the gas before I put the clutch down to change gear. (I do it simultaneously) rather than leave my foot on the gas whilst I put my foot down.

I just read your post again with a bit more care. Firstly I'd be wary of an instructor using the pedals that much. Unless you're a) about to put yourself or someone else in danger, or b) have stalled multiple times and are seriously holding up traffic, I don't think their pedals should be touched at all. The instructor overusing the pedals crippled my sisters progression and thankfully my instructor hasn't touched either of them once.

With regards to changing gear, one instructor told me I should keep constant pressure on the accelerator, the other said I should lift off then reapply in time with the clutch. I'm not sure either way is wrong as such.

I finished my 3rd lesson today- so 6 hours of practice so far and I am unsure as to whether I am progressing or not as my instructor isn't really giving me much feedback if I'm being totally honest.

Listen G, it ain't matter if u 30 or 50, you will pass but just remember stay calm and these instructors try leech u off your money trust G but if you do well in the 'manouvers' that they teach you, you will soon do the test. 1 more ting, i did my test 2 months ago passed but the test ain't even hard real talk i drove in my parents range rover real talk easy lol

Your progress sounds OK to me.

However, I'm not sure your instructor is right for you - why is he tapping your hand - that is not good. He should be giving you feedback - ask for it and if you're not happy walk away.

I also agree with the poster that said he should NOT be using dual controls unless you are going to have an accident.
He's not constantly on the pedals. Although I have sensed him there once or twice.
He was with the parallel park at the end but I don't think he had planned to do the manoeuvre. There was a vacant parking space outside my house and I think he saw the opportunity to try It??

Original post by Muttley79
Your progress sounds OK to me.

However, I'm not sure your instructor is right for you - why is he tapping your hand - that is not good. He should be giving you feedback - ask for it and if you're not happy walk away.

I also agree with the poster that said he should NOT be using dual controls unless you are going to have an accident.

The hand tapping bit got me. Like I said earlier I'm mid-thirties. I'm female and many people think I am a lot younger than my actual age (although I think I look my age if not older.) I'm pretty sure had the person been a 30 year old man, he wouldn't have taken his hand and tapped it? However, I could be wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
The hand tapping bit got me. Like I said earlier I'm mid-thirties. I'm female and many people think I am a lot younger than my actual age (although I think I look my age if not older.) I'm pretty sure had the person been a 30 year old man, he wouldn't have taken his hand and tapped it? However, I could be wrong.

If he does that again I'd report him to the driving school. It is not acceptable whatever gender you are.
When he did it I had like a second or two in my head where I was like: "What the heck did he just do?" But then I did my death stare that I normally reserve for my kids when they've been naughty or my husband when he's being an ass. It's quite amusing because I'm not in the least bit scary or intimidating. I'm possibly the meakest person you could meet but I can make blood run cold with my death stare I've been told.

He hasn't tapped my hand since.
Reply 14
He's not constantly on the pedals. Although I have sensed him there once or twice.
He was with the parallel park at the end but I don't think he had planned to do the manoeuvre. There was a vacant parking space outside my house and I think he saw the opportunity to try It??

Even doing something new, unless you were about to hit a car, he shouldn't have touched the pedals IMO, especially during a low speed, low risk manoeuvre. If you're fine with it and feel it won't hold you back then it's your choice, but it's something I'd be VERY wary of. Once it starts, from what I gather from my sister it can be hard to break. I sit pretty far back and caught my instructor hovering once out the corner of my eye. I made some joke about it and haven't noticed him lift his feet off the floor since. I guess I'm much more comfortable knowing I'm 100% in control though, may vary for others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending