The Student Room Group

Who are your female role models?

March 8th is International Women's Day!
This year's theme is #PressForProgress, and you can get involved with our other discussions around the topic here.

So whether it's your mum, a friend, or a celebrity, share your female role model and why they are your role model here!

Personally my mum is definitely my role model in terms of academics as she's very similar to me and did maths at uni which is exactly what I want to do, but in day to day life my youth worker is probably more my role model as she's always there for people, always willing to do things for others, and generally really amazing to be around and I'd love to be like that! :love:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Mine would be women like Frida Kahlo and Audre Lorde who despite having all odds against them, rose up and achieved greatness!
Reply 2
For me it's Amy Poehler, I just think she's so funny and inspirational as a female comedian in a very male dominated world!
She's excellent as Leslie Knope in Parks and Recreation, and her earlier stuff on SNL is fantastic. Also she seems to be a very nice person in general and I think there is a lot to be said for genuinely nice people in this world!
For me it's the YouTuber Saifya Nygaard. She's so willing to have new experiences and doesn't care if they don't work out. It's nice to watch someone so positive and happy. Plus her cat Crusty is awesome.
Original post by desert_fairy
Mine would be women like Frida Kahlo and Audre Lorde who despite having all odds against them, rose up and achieved greatness!

Original post by Wirefox
For me it's Amy Poehler, I just think she's so funny and inspirational as a female comedian in a very male dominated world!
She's excellent as Leslie Knope in Parks and Recreation, and her earlier stuff on SNL is fantastic. Also she seems to be a very nice person in general and I think there is a lot to be said for genuinely nice people in this world!

Original post by DrawTheLine
For me it's the YouTuber Saifya Nygaard. She's so willing to have new experiences and doesn't care if they don't work out. It's nice to watch someone so positive and happy. Plus her cat Crusty is awesome.

Haven't heard of a lot of these people but they sound awesome! So much positivity :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Mrs Thatcher, the one and only.
(edited 6 years ago)
My female role model is the head of disability at my uni. She's intelligent, quick-witted and takes no **** from anyone (you wouldn't wanna be on her wrong side! :eek: ). She's fearless and fierce and has overcome a lot of health difficulties herself. She's also kind, compassionate, and very helpful. She's been like a second mother to me :love: I look up to her a lot :colondollar:
Reply 7
My old scout leader. Her and her husband did a great job running our group and including all sorts of people (including girls and people with various types of extra needs). She was really supportive getting us badges and awards, but also in developing and supporting us as individuals. Even when she was in late stages of lung cancer she played an active role and took us on camps abroad. That group helped me feel included and important where other didn't and a good lot of that is down to her. She referred to us as their kids and I very much think that she meant it.
I only hope that I can be half as amazing in my life and have a positive impact on people like she did me.

Also my mum cos... well she's my mum and she's stuck with me my whole life.

Many others too, but these are the ones who get a shout out now. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
Mrs Thatcher, the one and only.

Now I have the song Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher going round my head :rofl:

It's amazing how sports people can inspire us! Definitely think the Olympics met their motto #inspireAGeneration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My female role model is the head of disability at my uni. She's intelligent, quick-witted and takes no **** from anyone (you wouldn't wanna be on her wrong side! :eek: ). She's fearless and fierce and has overcome a lot of health difficulties herself. She's also kind, compassionate, and very helpful. She's been like a second mother to me :love: I look up to her a lot :colondollar:

Original post by Kindred
My old scout leader. Her and her husband did a great job running our group and including all sorts of people (including girls and people with various types of extra needs). She was really supportive getting us badges and awards, but also in developing and supporting us as individuals. Even when she was in late stages of lung cancer she played an active role and took us on camps abroad. That group helped me feel included and important where other didn't and a good lot of that is down to her. She referred to us as their kids and I very much think that she meant it.
I only hope that I can be half as amazing in my life and have a positive impact on people like she did me.

Also my mum cos... well she's my mum and she's stuck with me my whole life.

Many others too, but these are the ones who get a shout out now. :smile:

Lovely to hear about these amazing women, so glad they've been part of both of your lives!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great answers lovely people :smile:

I've a few to add...

Nicola Adams - a bisexual woman of colour and British boxing champion #fightlikeagirl
Malala Yousifazi - survived an attempt on her life and now an outspoken advocate of female rights and female education in the Middle East
Michelle Obama - A fashion icon, a devoted mother, and an accomplished lawyer and writer

Closer to home, my friend Georgie who was our VP Welfare and Diversity when I was at university. She started our University's Women's Network which allowed females to stand up against 'lads culture' at uni. She also appointment a disability officer and ethnic minorities officer within her team.

:thumbsup:
Original post by SallyMustang
Great answers lovely people :smile:

Malala Yousifazi - survived an attempt on her life and now an outspoken advocate of female rights and female education in the Middle East

:thumbsup:

And don't forget, the youngest EVER recipient of the Noble Peace Prize!
Reply 12
My Nan. Toughest, most tenacious person I ever knew.
Reply 13
Countess Markievicz.
My Nan, who was treated as less by her family just because she was female (she had to move out when her older brother came home from war because there wasn't enough room in the house), came from nothing and worked very hard her whole life to earn as much as she did.

Jane Eyre because although she's just a plain, simple young woman, she's headstrong, opinionated, with good morals and refuses to forgive Rochester for what he did (at least at first) whereas most women in her time would have just settled for him as their main goal was to marry.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
My Nan, who was treated as less by her family just because she was female (she had to move out when her older brother came home from war because there wasn't enough room in the house), came from nothing and worked very hard her whole life to earn as much as she did.

Jane Eyre because although she's just a plain, simple young woman, she's headstrong, opinionated, with good morals and refuses to forgive Rochester for what he did (at least at first) whereas most women in her time would have just settled for him as their main goal was to marry.

Your nan sounds very inspirational! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a FANTASTIC History teacher at my school. Probably the kindest, coolest woman ever. I have a friend in my class with anxiety who gets very very worried and she calms her down better than I can. Even though she has never seemed angry or annoyed, when she said 'no' even if she's smiling EVERYONE listens. Perhaps the best motivator ever also! Honestly, I want to have her temperament when I get older.

She's also very intelligent (did her Masters at Oxford I think? Also a PHD in America!), well travelled and loves encouraging learning. She sets up mini seminars (podcasts/visitors/TED talks etc) after school and lets us sit and debate for hours!
Original post by slurredsquash
I have a FANTASTIC History teacher at my school. Probably the kindest, coolest woman ever. I have a friend in my class with anxiety who gets very very worried and she calms her down better than I can. Even though she has never seemed angry or annoyed, when she said 'no' even if she's smiling EVERYONE listens. Perhaps the best motivator ever also! Honestly, I want to have her temperament when I get older.

She's also very intelligent (did her Masters at Oxford I think? Also a PHD in America!), well travelled and loves encouraging learning. She sets up mini seminars (podcasts/visitors/TED talks etc) after school and lets us sit and debate for hours!

I want a teacher like that! Sounds amazing. Reminds me of my maths teacher but he's male so can't count on this thread :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Victoria Wood.:rip:
Reply 19
miranda priestly from devil wears prada. no lie i spent many years after watching that film copying everything about her. same mannerisms and the way she spoke down to people without raising her voice and walking with an attitude. i even spent a lot of money to dress better. went into bare debt but it was worth it, people worshipped me like i was important, people were scared of me haha and i didn't even have to do anything scary except walk around acting as though i was above everyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest