The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official 2018 Cambridge Postgraduate Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by todeon
Hey, fellow Philosophy PhD-er! I was wondering, since you're American, did the Philosophy Faculty interview you, too?

Hey! I'm Australian but yeah had a faculty interview late January. Are you going to the faculty welcome event on the 19th? It's a tad too far and pricey for me sadly
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 141
Original post by todeon
Hey, fellow Philosophy PhD-er! I was wondering, since you're American, did the Philosophy Faculty interview you, too?

Just realised why you thought I was American! Sorry for the vagueness in my first post- the Gates interview hasn't happened yet (end of the month so another 20 days of panicking) but only 1% of applicants actually get the award so its a very very long shot!
I think the trust started to send the funding offers.
Saw a Phd in Sociology applicant in the Gradcafe, who received the Trust's International funding offer yesterday:elefant:
Reply 143
Original post by blmge
Hey! I'm Australian but yeah had a faculty interview late January. Are you going to the faculty welcome event on the 19th? It's a tad too far and pricey for me sadly

Oh, I see! I thought that Gates applicants were all American. Very well :biggrin: I unfortunately can't make the offer-holders' day either. I'm from the UK but am in New Orleans, Louisiana for a month (not complaining, it's awesome here). Out of interest: who interviewed you for Cambridge? And may I ask what you work on? Massive congrats on your scholarship, too!
Original post by blmge
Degree: PhD in Philosophy
Applied: 4th December 2017
Conditional offer made: 14th February 2018
College: Girton (1st preference and I taught at a secondary school named after Girton so I'm stoked about the offer!)
Funding: Invited to interview for Gates (!!!) and nominated by my Faculty for the central Cambridge funding competitions

Has anyone been offered the Cambridge International Scholarship or know the chances of being offered one if you're offered a Gates interview? I know the criteria is different but I'm hoping there's some cross over?? I've heard the CIS offers are starting to go out via email too but nothing in my inbox yet :erm:

Hi! Congrats on the invite to interview with Gates :smile: I have been offered both the interview with Gates and the Cambridge International Scholarship, so yes, it is possible to have both. I accepted the Gates interview invitation, and I haven't accepted the Cambridge Trust one yet. I will probably let them know today that I will probably accept it, but that there will be a delay reaching my final decision.

Is anyone else on this same position??? I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each scholarship, in the rare case that I would get Gates. And also, I'm not sure if I should let either parts know, at this point, about my situation. Any insight would be v helpful!!
Original post by andreabcdef
Hi! Congrats on the invite to interview with Gates :smile: I have been offered both the interview with Gates and the Cambridge International Scholarship, so yes, it is possible to have both. I accepted the Gates interview invitation, and I haven't accepted the Cambridge Trust one yet. I will probably let them know today that I will probably accept it, but that there will be a delay reaching my final decision.

Is anyone else on this same position??? I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each scholarship, in the rare case that I would get Gates. And also, I'm not sure if I should let either parts know, at this point, about my situation. Any insight would be v helpful!!

I think the gates is definitely a better call if you are offered that one too because of its additional benefits such as the research and travel grants.
Plus the community that you will be introduced and meeting during the gates dinners and balls can help you a lot in your future carrier. No matter what you will do (academia or any other job), connections and additional benefits of gates will definitely overweight the trust benefits. Plus even if you reject the trust offer, you still will be an honorary scholar in their list.
Reply 146
Any news on funding for domestic students yet? (Preferably masters applicants!)
I am a PhD Offer holder and know that I have been put forward for central funding (the Department itself could not provide it at this stage). Does anyone have an idea, perhaps from past experiences, of how likely it is to succeed if the Department scores you for funding?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mythrandir
I think the gates is definitely a better call if you are offered that one too because of its additional benefits such as the research and travel grants.
Plus the community that you will be introduced and meeting during the gates dinners and balls can help you a lot in your future carrier. No matter what you will do (academia or any other job), connections and additional benefits of gates will definitely overweight the trust benefits. Plus even if you reject the trust offer, you still will be an honorary scholar in their list.

Hi actually this is incorrect. Gates is the only funding source that, if you are awarded gates funding, that they will not award you an honorary trust award. It says so on their website. Under "guidelines for scholars" and "awards from other sources".
Also super super congrats to everyone who has heard so far!!! So exciting!
Original post by Gradgrrrrl
Hi actually this is incorrect. Gates is the only funding source that, if you are awarded gates funding, that they will not award you an honorary trust award. It says so on their website. Under "guidelines for scholars" and "awards from other sources".

I think you read my message incorrectly..
I am saying that the trust would give this applicant a honorary status not the Gates..
Original post by hellopuppy
Hi, great to hear from everyone!

Degree: MPhil Public Policy
Applied: Mid Nov
Conditional offer made: Mid Dec
College: Darwin, start Jan
Funding: didn't apply for any

Anyone else in Darwin College or who knows what it's like to be there? :smile:

I received an offer (PhD) from Darwin the day after the GAO made me a conditional offer, although I only chose the College because it was a graduate-only one. However, I regretted selecting it after some research and made a case to request a change of preferences before membership was offered; the GAO swiftly rejected it without addressing the points I made by simply saying general things like 'We treat all applicants equally', 'Every applicant has had the opportunity to choose their preferred Colleges', 'You cannot start your studies at Cambridge without a College membership', etc... Still, apart from my needs and interests, I believe it's a nice College and most people like it quite a lot, most people I have spoken to anyway.
I am saying that the trust would give this applicant a honorary status not the Gates..

IF an individual receives Gates funding, they will not receive honorary status from the trust.

It states this on the trusts website. That's what I was clarifying, if that's not what you meant I apologize!
I'm also accepted by corpus on Friday. Naturally, I didn't receive any letter from them yet.

Though I sent an email to them a couple of weeks ago to ask about the details of college scholarships given to international students, they were not very clear. They just said they generally partner with the trust for international studentships, but they did not give details of how many students would benefit these. Guess corpus is one of the smaller colleges in terms of funding :s-smilie:

Original post by aleatorio
Ah ok, I guess it's not something to worry about so! They probably contact us when accommodation etc is being sorted.

What will you be studying? Hadn't come across any other Corpus folk yet!

Hello fellow Corpuscules and congratulations/good luck on funding! I'm worried about funding now as I'm doing a taught masters. From what I can tell they are less likely than PhDs to get funding, so pinning my hopes on Corpus Masters scholarships.
Reply 154
Congratulations!! I was actually wondering about the likelihood of getting offers for both rather than the possibility if anyone knows? It is possibly something only the trust and gates themselves would have stats on 🤷🏼*♀️
Original post by blmge
Congratulations!! I was actually wondering about the likelihood of getting offers for both rather than the possibility if anyone knows? It is possibly something only the trust and gates themselves would have stats on 🤷🏼*♀️

Thank you!! I'm not sure about any statistics....
I was also accepted at Girton college :smile:
Have you thought about living in college or rather looking for private accommodation? The prices are quite high in Girton's graduate accommodation :/
Reply 156
Thank you!! I'm not sure about any statistics....
I was also accepted at Girton college :smile:
Have you thought about living in college or rather looking for private accommodation? The prices are quite high in Girton's graduate accommodation :/

Hey fellow Girtonian! Yeah I was thinking of staying my first year at least- private accommodation is meant to be super pricey too and moving to the other side of the world seems slightly easier with a college setup - what made you go with Girton?
Original post by blmge
Hey fellow Girtonian! Yeah I was thinking of staying my first year at least- private accommodation is meant to be super pricey too and moving to the other side of the world seems slightly easier with a college setup - what made you go with Girton?

Yeah, same, although I've been looking at a Facebook flatshare group and prices seem to be around the same or even a little cheaper.
Actually, Girton was my second choice (mainly due to funding opportunities), but I was rejected by Trinity...
Reply 158
Degree: MAcc at JBS
Applied: End of Nov
Conditional offer made: Mid January
College: Christ's
Funding: Pending
Reply 159
Yeah, same, although I've been looking at a Facebook flatshare group and prices seem to be around the same or even a little cheaper.
Actually, Girton was my second choice (mainly due to funding opportunities), but I was rejected by Trinity...

Sorry to hear that! I had Girton for the funding, plus I liked the sound of being further out of the bubble/somewhere that sounded a little bit more chill... but also playing global Girton bingo and this was the last one to tick off 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending