The Student Room Group

Will this effect me?

So a few years ago (2014) I begun an OU degree, I quit after a few months having not even completed the first module. I withdrew having a small loan of 1000 pounds on my name, and never thought or looked back.

So I'm currently doing an access course as a mature student, and I have 5 offers for different unis with a start date this year, however having just looked through my junk emails last night I noticed I have a few emails from the OU addressing me as a "student".

I quickly emailed them and apparently even though I quit my module and my degree, I wasn't taken off my old degree fully, and I have been an inactive student of the OUfor the last 3 years, though without a loan ofc or being signed up to modules.

I quickly told them to close down my account (which I presumed had been done years earlier) and informed them I'd be studying elsewhere this September. They have now done so.

This might just be me being paranoid but could this invalidate my ucas somehow since I applied for uni whilst being a student of the OU (though I was unaware of this, and inactive with no modules or loan) panicking a bit atm!
Original post by mature student
So a few years ago (2014) I begun an OU degree, I quit after a few months having not even completed the first module. I withdrew having a small loan of 1000 pounds on my name, and never thought or looked back.

So I'm currently doing an access course as a mature student, and I have 5 offers for different unis with a start date this year, however having just looked through my junk emails last night I noticed I have a few emails from the OU addressing me as a "student".

I quickly emailed them and apparently even though I quit my module and my degree, I wasn't taken off my old degree fully, and I have been an inactive student of the OUfor the last 3 years, though without a loan ofc or being signed up to modules.

I quickly told them to close down my account (which I presumed had been done years earlier) and informed them I'd be studying elsewhere this September. They have now done so.

This might just be me being paranoid but could this invalidate my ucas somehow since I applied for uni whilst being a student of the OU (though I was unaware of this, and inactive with no modules or loan) panicking a bit atm!

Nope you should be fine as you only used one years worth of student finance and you are allowed degree length +1, so you have degree length left.
Original post by 999tigger
Nope you should be fine as you only used one years worth of student finance and you are allowed degree length +1, so you have degree length left.

I'm not as worried about that, more the fact that I was still technically a student of the OU (though not aware of this and dormant for over 3 years) and I did not declare this when applying for ucas/unis.

Also I didn't declare the fact that I attempted this OU module in my ucas.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not as worried about that, more the fact that I was still technically a student of the OU (though not aware of this and dormant for over 3 years) and I did not declare this when applying for ucas/unis.

If you werent you should have been.
The other is insignificant. It was dormant.
If you werent you should have been.
The other is insignificant. It was dormant.

Ok, thank you.

Do I need to let UCAS know that I attempted an OU module btw?
Ok, thank you.

Do I need to let UCAS know that I attempted an OU module btw?

Sounds like you didnt sit an exam, so no.
If your applications are in or you get offers or interviews, then you can mention it direct, but honestly they wouldnt be interested.
Sounds like you didnt sit an exam, so no.
If your applications are in or you get offers or interviews, then you can mention it direct, but honestly they wouldnt be interested.

Yeah I didn't technically fail or anything, I did a couple of months of the module and dropped out before any exams or coursework. I have all my offers.
Yeah I didn't technically fail or anything, I did a couple of months of the module and dropped out before any exams or coursework. I have all my offers.

I dont believe you had to disclose anything, but for speed, then once you decide on firm and insurance just check with admissions and they will tell you its nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending