The Student Room Group

Life in Nottingham (University of Nottingham and NTU)

So I've wanted to go to University of nottingham and it was going to be my first choice university but then I find on twitter someone tweeting a video showing people in her room hall chanting racist chants like "we hate the black people". This actually happened in Nottingham Trent but this is still quite awkward now because it's still Nottingham. I'm shocked tbh and a little worried about going there now. Is nottingham a racist or hostile area? I don't even know what my mum will think if I tell her this...

https://twitter.com/rufarochisango_/status/971452205181161472 - link to the video

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0lut0
So I've wanted to go to University of nottingham and it was going to be my first choice university but then I find on twitter someone tweeting a video showing people in her room hall chanting racist chants like "we hate the black people". This actually happened in Nottingham Trent but this is still quite awkward now because it's still Nottingham. I'm shocked tbh and a little worried about going there now. Is nottingham a racist or hostile area? I don't even know what my mum will think if I tell her this...

https://twitter.com/rufarochisango_/status/971452205181161472 - link to the video

You're going to find racists/homophobes/<insert term here>phobe/cist everywhere. This NTU incident is most likely isolated.
Original post by 0lut0

Different university and imo a one off from a pair of idiotic 18 year olds.
Tell your mum and dont go then, your loss, it will be as ridiculous a decision as the 18 year old who will probably be expelled and get a criminal record. Dont forget before you blame Nottingham he majority of students tend to come from outside the uni they study at.
There is the odd random racist or bigoted person everywhere. You are very unlikely to meet them at any university and Nottingham is not a particularly racist city or anything to worry about. Don't let two drunk morons affect such a big choice!
This seems like an isolated incident. Don’t let that ruin your choice.
These incidents usually happen but go unreported, where I am there’s a girl who doesn’t like me because am black and she used to pick on me.
I told her off and she’s never spoken to me again which is really good on my side.
Racial harassment and discrimination happens but you need to stand up for yourself.
And now there are hate crimes, you can report that.
Reply 6
What are everyone's views on the recent racial abuse that happened at Nottingham Trent University earlier this week?

Has anyone's choice of putting either uni as a firm or insurance choice been affected?

And also what's it like living in Nottingham, like is it an inclusive and diverse city like London? - (Obviously there are racist people everywhere but I want to get a sense of what it's like)
Original post by 0lut0

Hi,

This is the main discussion thread - it's definitely worth having a read, I think it will reassure you that this is an isolated incident and that Nottingham as a city is diverse and calm.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5239248
Original post by Blue_Cow
You're going to find racists/homophobes/<insert term here>phobe/cist everywhere. This NTU incident is most likely isolated.

Yeah, exactly this. How is ONE incident stopping you from going to a uni suitable to you?
Reply 9
I’m sorry you found such video, but UoN and NTU are very different.
UoN is much stricter and tightly regulated when it comes to chanting and hate speech. There is a big emphasis on making ALL students feel welcome.
And we don’t interact with “Trent army” that much anyway. No joint night outs or anything like that. Most people know trent students from tinder
Reply 10
Original post by Nottie
I’m sorry you found such video, but UoN and NTU are very different.
UoN is much stricter and tightly regulated when it comes to chanting and hate speech. There is a big emphasis on making ALL students feel welcome.
And we don’t interact with “Trent army” that much anyway. No joint night outs or anything like that. Most people know trent students from tinder

That's not necessarily true, I go Trent when I go on nights out I see UON people all the time, they even try to come Trent SU. OP this can happen anywhere, doesn't matter what uni, hate speech happens all the time some people are just not brave enough to do anything about it or just except it. I guarantee it's happened at UON before and any other uni, OP as long as you can stand up for yourself you're fine
Reply 11
And OP Trent and UON are soo far apart, I don't understand why you're worried considering you're applying for UON.
you'll get that everywhere i herd a guy in Portsmouth (not a student in this case) having a go at two Japanise girls just because they were talking Japanise two each other.
I'm at the University of Nottingham and we don't associate ourselves with those Nottingham Trent University students at all :wink:
Original post by macylara
What are everyone's views on the recent racial abuse that happened at Nottingham Trent University earlier this week?

Has anyone's choice of putting either uni as a firm or insurance choice been affected?

And also what's it like living in Nottingham, like is it an inclusive and diverse city like London? - (Obviously there are racist people everywhere but I want to get a sense of what it's like)

Hiya :smile:

I saw you hadn't received a response so I've added your question to this discussion. Have a read and let me know if you have any questions.

Have you visited Nottingham yourself?
Reply 15
Original post by natashaaarr
I'm at the University of Nottingham and we don't associate ourselves with those Nottingham Trent University students at all :wink:

No offence but that sounds quite snobbish
Original post by Afuru
No offence but that sounds quite snobbish

Yes, quite.

However, it's fairly common for students of ancients/red-bricks/plate-glass universities to differentiate themselves from their 1992 counterparts...
Original post by Blue_Cow
Yes, quite.

However, it's fairly common for students of ancients/red-bricks/plate-glass universities to differentiate themselves from their 1992 counterparts...

Pinch of salt, of course. But realistically the only times we do mix is varsity games. Otherwise both unis are so big that nights out are seperated and UoN is a campus outside of the city centre whereas NTU is city based. So most students live in different areas of Nottingham.
Original post by macylara

I personally have not experienced any racism in Nottingham. The only thing near racism was my friend's ID being refused at a fancy restaurant because it was international. I guess they weren't used to students dining.
All the locals are used to the massive population of students, of whom are very diverse. You don't stand out being coloured. In fact I have experienced more racism in London, where people can assume youre 'unskilled'.
Original post by natashaaarr
I personally have not experienced any racism in Nottingham. The only thing near racism was my friend's ID being refused at a fancy restaurant because it was international. I guess they weren't used to students dining.
All the locals are used to the massive population of students, of whom are very diverse. You don't stand out being coloured. In fact I have experienced more racism in London, where people can assume youre 'unskilled'.

I'd hardly call that racist.

Most staff are probably only trained to verify UK/EU/EEA documents. The staff are covering their own ass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending