The Student Room Group

Should I continue with my masters degree?

Serious replies only please.

I'm enrolled on an MSc in nuclear science and technology (nuclear engineering). I haven't enjoyed this course from the offset as I find it dull, to be honest, but it may well get me a job. As a bit of back-story, I have a first class degree in physics from 2015, but have mostly been unemployed since or working low paid jobs. This is partly my fault as I haven't moved down to London or networked hard, but I also got rejected from a bunch of graduate schemes. Even though I have a first class degree, it doesn't seem that valuable in the jobs market. I've been rejected for lab tech jobs, which to be honest made me extremely angry so I stopped trying.

To complete my MSc I still need to complete 5 assignments, 6 exams and a summer placement + dissertation. There is still a lot of work to do.

I need to come up with a list of pros and cons. Here is what I know so far.

PROs
+ I will probably land a career (in the nuclear industry or government). Something I have failed to do with my BSc.
+ A masters could help me elsewhere? An former grad went into finance.

CONs
- If I want to go into a different field it could look bad on my CV.
- If I leave it off my CV I will have to lie about the gap.
- It is mentally taxing and making me ill, but so is unemployment.
- Could it affect my ability to get funding for future masters programmes?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thenoob2018

I'm enrolled on an MSc in nuclear science and technology (nuclear engineering). I haven't enjoyed this course from the offset as I find it dull, to be honest, but it may well get me a job. As a bit of back-story, I have a first class degree in physics from 2015, but have mostly been unemployed since or working low paid jobs. This is partly my fault as I haven't moved down to London or networked hard, but I also got rejected from a bunch of graduate schemes. Even though I have a first class degree, it doesn't seem that valuable in the jobs market. I've been rejected for lab tech jobs, which to be honest made me extremely angry so I stopped trying.

To complete my MSc I still need to complete 5 assignments, 6 exams and a summer placement + dissertation. There is still a lot of work to do.

PROs
+ I will probably land a career (in the nuclear industry or government). Something I have failed to do with my BSc.

CONs

Are you interested in working in the nuclear industry? What would you do if you did not continue with your MSc?

PROs

CONs

Hmm it's a tough situation to be in and we need a bit more context on whether you have taken any PG loans to help pay for this course?

I will assume you have taken the PG loans to help pay for the course in which case it would be unwise to back out now. Is there another course you could perhaps swap to at the same university that you like better? If that is the case then speak to your tutors now and they can give you better advice as to how to swap courses if possible!

My advice would be to stick it out and just focus on passing the course with at least a Merit. Contrary to belief, the MSc will not limit you to just nuclear engineering jobs as it will open doors to many other careers e.g. finance but also many other engineering type jobs (even tech/IT jobs). The job market is indeed tough and I even start to wonder how some people made it....maybe its the Brexit effect? :lol:
Reply 3

PROs

CONs

My friend is in your exact same position. Trouble is he NOW thinks that getting a Masters (first in chemistry) has now made him over qualified and he feels more unemployable ironically. He still has more trouble gaining positions on grad schemes than before, many don’t even ask for a Masters tbh.
Masters are not necessary unless you’ve seen a specific job area that has out right said it needs a particular masters. They are not as necessary as people often think and can sometimes make matters worse, especially if it was a hard slog and felt like it was all for nothing. He luckily didn’t seem to mind his masters so came out the other side okay - but as you said, you may not.
Is the end not in sight at all? Do you feel close or just stressed and running for nothing?
You need to give the job search front a little longer and broaden your scope a little. You may have to job hop a bit in areas you weren’t expecting to go into before things fall into place. Barely anyone walks out of a degree (regardless of uni or degree classification) into a job exactly in their field of choice. It takes years and a lot of medial jobs first.
Try doing searching possible internships or even voluntary positions that may be relevant if you feel the masters is not worth it. Even unpaid work (although hard) is better than nothing and still looks great. Unless your masters offers experience it may not be as useful as you first thought.
Personally I’d see it through. Six months will pass in a flash. In the meantime network, apply for jobs, attend career fairs and use your careers service. Most masters students I know feel like this at some point. Good luck whatever you decide.
Thanks for the replies.

There's no loans involved - it's a free course because I got a first in my undergraduate degree.

Do I want to work in the nuclear industry? Honestly, I don't know. I'm severely depressed and I'm not able to make decisions. I don't know what I want to do for a career. What would I do if I quit? Probably work in retail.

I'm 29 and turning 30 in April and I honestly feel like it is all too late for me. This is why I feel like I am stuck with seeing this course through now. I went to university late and graduated at 27 and time has gone very fast.

The point about a masters making your friend over-qualified is something that worries me. I honestly feel like I should only do a masters if I'm certain about it, but I'm also scared about throwing away this opportunity.

With regards to the workload. There's 5 more assignments - I can get through them one way or another but it is not enjoyable at all. One is only 2750 words so I suppose I could get that one done soon. There are 6 exams... I would just do the past papers and make notes I suppose. It was probably worse when i did A levels as I often had more exams than this. I don't know anything about the summer placement yet. It could be with a company which may be useful, but then I'll have to write a dissertation which will be tough.
Original post by thenoob.2018
Thanks for the replies.

There's no loans involved - it's a free course because I got a first in my undergraduate degree.

Do I want to work in the nuclear industry? Honestly, I don't know. I'm severely depressed and I'm not able to make decisions. I don't know what I want to do for a career. What would I do if I quit? Probably work in retail.

I'm 29 and turning 30 in April and I honestly feel like it is all too late for me. This is why I feel like I am stuck with seeing this course through now. I went to university late and graduated at 27 and time has gone very fast.

The point about a masters making your friend over-qualified is something that worries me. I honestly feel like I should only do a masters if I'm certain about it, but I'm also scared about throwing away this opportunity.

With regards to the workload. There's 5 more assignments - I can get through them one way or another but it is not enjoyable at all. One is only 2750 words so I suppose I could get that one done soon. There are 6 exams... I would just do the past papers and make notes I suppose. It was probably worse when i did A levels as I often had more exams than this. I don't know anything about the summer placement yet. It could be with a company which may be useful, but then I'll have to write a dissertation which will be tough.

Firstly, I would highly recommend seeing a therapist/doctor to help with your depression. It's always good to tell someone about it because they can help you through it.

Lastly, don't quit the course and just try to do your best to pass it with at least a Merit. Dont worry so much about being "overqualified" as it will set you up nicely for a very bright future, you're still young so don't throw it all away :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for the reply. I could "interrupt" my studies, which means I put it on hold without throwing away my hard work (so far). To be honest I am very worried about the "overqualified" situation as I know it is a real thing. Like I say, to complete the course this year there is still an awful lot of work to do. I will also have to attend modules at Birmingham, Sheffield and possibly move away for a placement (at Sellafield or elsewhere).

I could potentially get a teaching related position for the next few months through an agency, or retail.

I will go back to the doctors soon.
Right I could do with some more help on this as I don't know what to do.

I'm enrolled on MSc nuclear science and technology at Manchester. To complete the course I need to:

Complete 4 assignments by June/July (this is do-able but my grades might suffer)
Sit two exams in June (this is ok)
Sit 4 exams in August, as well as do a project at the same time and complete a dissertation (this is not ok)

I'm 30 now and really can't afford to be wasting time. I don't know how I can juggle a project and dissertation with 4 exams, plus this will take up my entire summer. I've had depression and anxiety for years and have been a shut in for so long. I would like to get out and about, but I would have so much work. Should I interrupt? I have a first class BSc in physics, will this course even make any difference to my prospects.? In answer to the other question - to be honest no, I don't want to work in the nuclear industry, certainly not somewhere like Sellafield anyway. Others from the course have gone into different things like insurance, so I don't know if this will enhance my prospects. I don't want things to drag on and on but I don't fancy the idea of spending my whole summer studying for exams and writing a dissertation on some nonsense which I will never use again. At least in undergrad I was done by June.
(edited 6 years ago)
I had yet another bad experience on this course last week. We have to apply for projects and I had a phone call with a consultancy last week. The line was awful and there were two other people in the conversation who kept cutting out, as did I. I can't remember what the software was called but it was some kind of conference call. Anyway I got an email a day later saying I had been rejected and they took someone else. Great. I am left with placements at the university which are mostly lab or computer based, with perhaps one or two trips out. This is useless as I need to gain experience and I feel like I will be unemployed once I finish the MSc as I will have no experience. At this point I'm strongly considering interrupting as this surely isn't worth all the effort.
I had yet another bad experience on this course last week. We have to apply for projects and I had a phone call with a consultancy last week. The line was awful and there were two other people in the conversation who kept cutting out, as did I. I can't remember what the software was called but it was some kind of conference call. Anyway I got an email a day later saying I had been rejected and they took someone else. Great. I am left with placements at the university which are mostly lab or computer based, with perhaps one or two trips out. This is useless as I need to gain experience and I feel like I will be unemployed once I finish the MSc as I will have no experience. At this point I'm strongly considering interrupting as this surely isn't worth all the effort.

Gotta change your mindset bro.

Lab experience is still better than no experience. Don't give up especially when you're approaching the finish line.
I've been having a horrible time on my masters degree (nuclear engineering) and only took up the offer as they gave me a scholarship and I was unemployed. There are no fees. I am debating whether to interrupt as the workload is just too much, or if I should half-heartedly finish all of the remaining work with minimum effort to a poor standard. If I interrupt there is a chance I could get a distinction or at least 65+. If I plow on through I might get anywhere from 55-60. I don't even want to work in the nuclear industry and don't see why I should have to do this course when I already have a physics degree. Any advice would be helpful.
I've been having a horrible time on my masters degree (nuclear engineering) and only took up the offer as they gave me a scholarship and I was unemployed. There are no fees. I am debating whether to interrupt as the workload is just too much, or if I should half-heartedly finish all of the remaining work with minimum effort to a poor standard. If I interrupt there is a chance I could get a distinction or at least 65+. If I plow on through I might get anywhere from 55-60. I don't even want to work in the nuclear industry and don't see why I should have to do this course when I already have a physics degree. Any advice would be helpful.

There's no point in finishing with a qualification that doesn't reflect your capabilities. If you don't need the degree and have no interest in it why not just leave instead of interrupting?
In a post on another thread from 17 days ago you said you'd already decided to interrupt. Are you still deciding?
Original post by Duncan2012
In a post on another thread from 17 days ago you said you'd already decided to interrupt. Are you still deciding?

It's a complicated situation but the plan is to sit two exams and an assignment in the next few weeks then interrupt, so that I've done a good chunk of work.

The student room have given me a warning for post number 12, saying it is not contructive. WTF? I am in a terrible state with this course and everything I have written is the truth. To the person who warned me - YOU try doing an MSc in nuclear engineering. Yeah? Thought not.
It's a complicated situation but the plan is to sit two exams and an assignment in the next few weeks then interrupt, so that I've done a good chunk of work.

The student room have given me a warning for post number 12, saying it is not contructive. WTF? I am in a terrible state with this course and everything I have written is the truth. To the person who warned me - YOU try doing an MSc in nuclear engineering. Yeah? Thought not.

No offence but it was pretty stupid of you to take the course if you had zero interest in nuclear engineering and no intention of even working in the nuclear industry like you say.

It would be foolish to drop out now given you only have few months left till the course is finished so you may as well stop moaning like a *****, get your head down and try to get a Merit at least. Luckily for you its an engineering masters so youre still open to plenty of other industries given the transferable skills.
Original post by trapking
No offence but it was pretty stupid of you to take the course if you had zero interest in nuclear engineering and no intention of even working in the nuclear industry like you say.

It would be foolish to drop out now given you only have few months left till the course is finished so you may as well stop moaning like a *****, get your head down and try to get a Merit at least. Luckily for you its an engineering masters so youre still open to plenty of other industries given the transferable skills.

You are a fool and have no idea of the situation. With a username like "trapking" I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'm done on this forum.
done
You are a fool and have no idea of the situation. With a username like "trapking" I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'm done on this forum.

I would argue your username is so much more fitting.

Anyway bye bye, your noobness will not be missed.
Prsom.

The irony :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending