The Student Room Group

Friend stealing my identity

This might sound incredibly petty but hear me out.

I've always been really into music from a young age, explored pretty much every (decent) genre deeply.

My friend likes music as well but doesn't really properly explore music, she just likes to listen to spotify's curated playlists.

I've had spotify for quite a few years and some of my playlists are public, I was always happy to recommend her songs and artists and have her listen to my playlists. I even once made her a little playlist of cool songs I thought she'd like.

Anyway fast forward to uni, she gets involved with a cool crowd. She decides to make her own playlist of songs. Instead of making her own thing, she just copies a tonne of songs from my playlists. Songs that are pretty unknown and are kind of my hidden gems. She didn't even bother to change the order of songs.
She also copied a tonne of songs from this guy's playlist she fancies. Songs that I know she only added because they will make her playlist look cool.

So now she has this playlist that a few of her cool new uni mates are following but they're mostly my songs? It's just like ffs.

She doesn't even follow any of my playlists anymore, she just saves them as her own playlist and then listens to them. So they don't come up in the feed as my playlist. But it's incredibly obvious that they're all my songs.

I don't care if she wants to listen to my songs but at least give credit by listening to my actual playlist? It's like she has so much pride she doesn't want to be seen listening to my playlists. Even though I'll spot her listening to uni mates playlists.

I called her out on it when she copied my playlist and she was just like "what do you expect me to do? they're songs that I like?".

We had a bit of a falling out for a day or two but I decided to just let it pass cause wasn't worth it.

There are other areas of my life that I notice this, but this one just bums me out because music is such a big thing for me. And some of those songs are so personal or were really hidden gems that were hard to find.

I probably do sound petty and she thought I was being petty as well.

I did private all my playlists at one point but didn't really matter because she had already saved them.

Scroll to see replies

They aren't your songs, but rather they are the songs of the artist that made them lol.

If you are so bothered then make your playlist private. But millions of other people are listening to those songs, so you might just be overthinking it.

I don't think people will care, because friends usually like the same music :smile:
Shows u have could taste

but its a ***** move
Reply 3
Original post by SuperHuman98
They aren't your songs, but rather they are the songs of the artist that made them lol.

If you are so bothered then make your playlist private. But millions of other people are listening to those songs, so you might just be overthinking it.

I don't think people will care, because friends usually like the same music :smile:

Well yeah I know. It's just annoying when it's years of your favourite songs. Actually unique ones with not many youtube views etc. And then in one simple copy and paste, they're in all her playlist. And now all her uni friends are like "wow cool music taste!" to her. and follow her playlist.
I understand what you're trying to say, and it's annoying. It's sad that she may not be secure enough in her own thoughts and feelings that she has to take yours as a facade. Feel pity for her and recognise it's something you can do next to zero about. So don't stress or get upset, don't let her get to you.
Reply 5
Original post by SuperHuman98

And the thing is we always had quite different music taste. Only thing we shared was some 80s rock. She pretty much mainly listened to chart stuff and classic well known oldies. She never liked this stuff before. Was only when she got to uni and saw it was cool.
Original post by Anonymous
Well yeah I know. It's just annoying when it's years of your favourite songs. Actually unique ones with not many youtube views etc. And then in one simple copy and paste, they're in all her playlist. And now all her uni friends are like "wow cool music taste!" to her. and follow her playlist.

And the thing is we always had quite different music taste. Only thing we shared was some 80s rock. She pretty much mainly listened to chart stuff and classic well known oldies. She never liked this stuff before. Was only when she got to uni and saw it was cool.

Ah i can see why you are annoyed, but think about it this way. In the grand scheme of things the playlist someone owns/ music they listen to is not a big deal. If someone only wants to hang out with you/ be your friend because of a spottily playlist, then imo you should seek out other people.
Sorry, how is she stealing your identity by listening to music you put on a public playlist? And how are they your songs? Did you write and make them yourself? You can't get mad at someone for listening to music that is publicly available on the internet.

I've always been really into music from a young age, explored pretty much every (decent) genre deeply.

My friend likes music as well but doesn't really properly explore music, she just likes to listen to spotify's curated playlists.

I've had spotify for quite a few years and some of my playlists are public, I was always happy to recommend her songs and artists and have her listen to my playlists. I even once made her a little playlist of cool songs I thought she'd like.

Anyway fast forward to uni, she gets involved with a cool crowd. She decides to make her own playlist of songs. Instead of making her own thing, she just copies a tonne of songs from my playlists. Songs that are pretty unknown and are kind of my hidden gems. She didn't even bother to change the order of songs.
She also copied a tonne of songs from this guy's playlist she fancies. Songs that I know she only added because they will make her playlist look cool.

So now she has this playlist that a few of her cool new uni mates are following but they're mostly my songs? It's just like ffs.

She doesn't even follow any of my playlists anymore, she just saves them as her own playlist and then listens to them. So they don't come up in the feed as my playlist. But it's incredibly obvious that they're all my songs.

I don't care if she wants to listen to my songs but at least give credit by listening to my actual playlist? It's like she has so much pride she doesn't want to be seen listening to my playlists. Even though I'll spot her listening to uni mates playlists.

I called her out on it when she copied my playlist and she was just like "what do you expect me to do? they're songs that I like?".

We had a bit of a falling out for a day or two but I decided to just let it pass cause wasn't worth it.

There are other areas of my life that I notice this, but this one just bums me out because music is such a big thing for me. And some of those songs are so personal or were really hidden gems that were hard to find.

I did private all my playlists at one point but didn't really matter because she had already saved them.
it's seriously a non-issue. stop giving a ****.
Reply 9
Original post by DrawTheLine
Sorry, how is she stealing your identity by listening to music you put on a public playlist? And how are they your songs? Did you write and make them yourself? You can't get mad at someone for listening to music that is publicly available on the internet.

She wouldn't have found them if it wasn't for my playlists. They're not well known and they're not even genres she typically used to like. When I said 'my songs' I obviously just meant songs that I had found.

I was expecting a different thread where something illegal was going on or she started to dress like and pretend to be you.

I get that you are annoyed, but just private the playlists an keep them that way. You will discover new music and she may or may not get with this guy and they may or may not break up.

It sounds petty and a complete waste of energy. It sounds like you are 13 and not 18. better things to do at uni.
She wouldn't have found them if it wasn't for my playlists. They're not well known and they're not even genres she typically used to like. When I said 'my songs' I obviously just meant songs that I had found.

So how is she stealing your identity by listening to songs you made publicly available?
Original post by 999tigger
I was expecting a different thread where something illegal was going on or she started to dress like and pretend to be you.

I get that you are annoyed, but just private the playlists an keep them that way. You will discover new music and she may or may not get with this guy and they may or may not break up.

It sounds petty and a complete waste of energy. It sounds like you are 13 and not 18. better things to do at uni.

It's too late to private them. Wouldn't make a difference.
She was like 'what do you want me to do? delete them all?'
Obviously I couldn't say yes delete them all. There isn't really anything I can do. It's more the principle that I'm annoyed about.
To just blatantly copy my playlists. There was no need for her to make her own public playlist of stolen songs.
So how is she stealing your identity by listening to songs you made publicly available?

Because she's passing them off as songs that she discovered. In her public playlist. So my playlists which are representative of my music taste, have now been copied and now they're supposedly representative of her taste.
Obviously I couldn't say yes delete them all. There isn't really anything I can do. It's more the principle that I'm annoyed about.
To just blatantly copy my playlists. There was no need for her to make her own public playlist of stolen songs.

How are they stolen songs? They are songs that are already available online, whether they are known about or not, she could have found them anyway. You're getting worked up about a person listening to songs. Why is this such a big issue for you? They're just songs.
you have a friend, who copies your playlists and deceivingly shows them as her own. that's your issue.

you think it's because of her pride, when really she's just trying to fit in because she's insecure.

think of it like this: you're helping her make friends and helping the artists make money. continue creating playlists, sharing hidden gems and talking about music with her - ... she does like your music taste, otherwise she wouldn;'t ahve thought it was cool enough to share - even suggest telling her friends about it and addressing her insecurities.

you can play the entire situation, as a way for her to trust you more and appreciate you more as a friend.
(edited 6 years ago)

Just private yourself and she cant take any more.
Dont trust her in future.

If you are that annoyed then have a fight or start a twitter or poster campaign about it. Its getting pettier and a waste of even mor energy by the minute. It is done you cant undo.

Is it an apology you want?
I too was expecting something else.

This sounds quite petty tbh.
How are they stolen songs? They are songs that are already available online, whether they are known about or not, she could have found them anyway. You're getting worked up about a person listening to songs. Why is this such a big issue for you? They're just songs.

So if you planned on wearing an outfit for a party and you told your friend the clothes. And then two days later she buys the exact same outfit and says she's wearing it to the party. Would you be a bit annoyed? Or would you think 'oh well they're clothes available to the public, nothing I can be annoyed about'.
So if you planned on wearing an outfit for a party and you told your friend the clothes. And then two days later she buys the exact same outfit and says she's wearing it to the party. Would you be a bit annoyed? Or would you think 'oh well they're clothes available to the public, nothing I can be annoyed about'.

No I wouldn't be annoyed at that, because it's just clothes. You're ignoring my question. How is she stealing your identity by listening to songs you also listen to?

Latest

Trending

Trending