The Student Room Group

I've applied for Durham University foundation, they have listed me on international

I'm not, I haven't even been on holiday for the past 7 years or so.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Efron
It requires no formal qualifications, but the problem is that they have somehow listed me on the international foundation program, I have a British passport alongside an Iranian passport and I have been overseas for a long time now and I mentioned all this on my personal statement, I emailed them but they haven't answered me back yet. Do you think they've incorrectly done this as I have briefly asked them and waiting for their full reply, or do you think I'll still be eligible for this program and that I can get funding from student finance.

It's a foundation year in law that gives direct access to the LLB undergraduate degree in law.

Thank you all in advance

Sounds like they have done it correctly.

Where have you been living the past 5 years?

Sounds like you dont live in the UK, but Iran and you can probably go to uni in Iran or attend UK uni as an international student.

To get student funding you actually have to live in the UK and it doesnt appear you have for a long time. Do you think you live in the UK?

SFE requires passport plus residence n the EU/ UK.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Sounds like they have done it correctly.

Where have you been living the past 5 years?

Sounds like you dont live in the UK, but Iran and you can probably go to uni in Iran or attend UK uni as an international student.

To get student funding you actually have to live in the UK and it doesnt appear you have for a long time. Do you think you live in the UK?

SFE requires passport plus residence n the EU/ UK.

I have a British passport, but I was overseas for about 3 years, I came and went within those 3 years, the last time I was here was 1 half years ago before I went back to Iran again.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Efron
I have a British passport, but I was overseas for about 3 years, I came and went within those 3 years, the last time I was here was 1 half years ago before I went back to the UK.

Some unis will take your passport and some will require residency.

You should not be eligible for Durham's LLB with Foundation, as you're not over 21 and you've been in education within the last three years. See here.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Efron
I have a British passport, but I was overseas for about 3 years, I came and went within those 3 years, the last time I was here was 1 half years ago before I went back to Iran again.

You have to prove previous three years. Absences are allowed but they have t be temporary. Up to you to prove to them. Did you still have a home in the UK? Easier for Durham to decide as they will have the full facts.
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety

Iranian or British passport? residency where if I want to be eligible as an international student? I have residency in Iran, and I had residency in the UK but I do not currently and am rather staying at a friend's house until soon find a place. Would you guess I'm eligible or would you guess they just made a mistake because of my personal statement mentioning it? Because I cam to this country when I was 2 and from time to time I've left school and had been to Iran and back, until recently in which I stayed for a good amount of time.
Reply 6
You have to prove previous three years. Absences are allowed but they have t be temporary. Up to you to prove to them. Did you still have a home in the UK? Easier for Durham to decide as they will have the full facts.

I had a home with my mum, but not anymore as I have just recently been back from the Iran and am staying at a friend's house.
Original post by Efron
Iranian or British passport? residency where if I want to be eligible as an international student? I have residency in Iran, and I had residency in the UK but I do not currently and am rather staying at a friend's house until soon find a place. Would you guess I'm eligible or would you guess they just made a mistake because of my personal statement mentioning it? Because I cam to this country when I was 2 and from time to time I've left school and had been to Iran and back, until recently in which I stayed for a good amount of time.

Wait till you get a reply from them.

If they say that you're an international student, saying "Notoriety off TSR said I am not an international applicant" shouldn't be persuasive.
Reply 8

You should not be eligible for Durham's LLB with Foundation, as you're not over 21 and you've been in education within the last three years. See here.

You do not need to be over 21, you can be 18 to 21 with no post 16 qualifications, and I haven't been in education since I was 17/18 years old, I'm 20 now
Original post by Efron
You do not need to be over 21, you can be 18 to 21 with no post 16 qualifications, and I haven't been in education since I was 17/18 years old, I'm 20 now

You're that poster who is studying an accelerated Access course in law, aren't you?
Original post by Efron
I had a home with my mum, but not anymore as I have just recently been back from the Iran and am staying at a friend's house.

Passport alone is insufficient.
They dont think you deserve home student status.
If you can prove to them you were resident here for the last 3 years hen they may reconsider.
No home student status, then no SFE.
Original post by Efron

Home student status requires residency, not citizenship. You can be denied it even if you're not a dual national if you haven't been living in the UK.
I believe the test is something like "Ordinarily resident in the UK for the last 3 years, for a purpose other than education" (so excluding boarding school pupils).

It sounds like you have strong links to the UK, but probably not residency if you have been away and ordinarily resident in another country for the last 1.5 years and don't currently have a permanent home in the UK. It sounds to me like they have correctly classified you.

However, you have nothing to lose by raising this with the university in the hope they will reconsider.
Reply 12
If you can prove to them you were resident here for the last 3 years hen they may reconsider.

I was a

It was about a year ago
Reply 13
You're that poster who is studying an accelerated Access course in law, aren't you?

Yes, I think that would be a problem but I haven't mentioned it until, yesterday because I don't want to lie, I recently started it and I can drop out, I told them that and I am waiting for the reply, my funding hasn't processed fully yet for the access course so I'm guessing I can drop out.
Original post by Efron
I was a

It was about a year ago

Honestly I think ive made it clear what the situation is, see what they say.
Original post by Efron
Yes, I think that would be a problem but I haven't mentioned it until, yesterday because I don't want to lie, I recently started it and I can drop out, I told them that and I am waiting for the reply, my funding hasn't processed fully yet for the access course so I'm guessing I can drop out.

You also have not sat the LNAT.
Reply 16
You also have not sat the LNAT.

I applied after the 20th January deadline to sit it, but they haven't declined my application ever since, I'm still waiting for there full reply, I've sent them a convincing message on email, fingers crossed they take me in on exceptional circumstances.
Reply 17
Original post by Efron
I applied after the 20th January deadline to sit it, but they haven't declined my application ever since, I'm still waiting for there full reply, I've sent them a convincing message on email, fingers crossed they take me in on exceptional circumstances.

So if you convince them you are UK/EU you need the LNAT - they even state it in bold - but if you are international it seems you don't. However if you are UK you get SFE and reduced fees, if you are international you don't.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11982&title=Law+with+Foundation&code=M102&type=LLB&year=2018#admissions
"UK and EU students must provide a satisfactory LNAT test score prior to beginning the programme. "

An interesting "legal" conundrum...

Also, you may need IELTS.
Original post by Doonesbury
So if you convince them you are UK/EU you need the LNAT - they even state it in bold - but if you are international it seems you don't. However if you are UK you get SFE and reduced fees, if you are international you don't.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11982&title=Law+with+Foundation&code=M102&type=LLB&year=2018#admissions
"UK and EU students must provide a satisfactory LNAT test score prior to beginning the programme. "

An interesting "legal" conundrum...

Also, you may need IELTS.

Tbf the details of what OP has been doing for the x years is hazy and incomplete. Think my instincts were correct for being classed as an international irrespective of any other failings of getting on the course at Durham.
Tbf the details of what OP has been doing for the x years is hazy and incomplete. Think my instincts were correct for being classed as an international irrespective of any other failings of getting on the course at Durham.

I am not exaggerating. If OP gets into Durham, even for Foundation, I am gonna tear my degree certificate up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending