The Student Room Group

Master's Degree in Air-transportion management

Greetings,
I am a holder of a bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, and I am considering a master's degree in Air-transportation management at Coventry University. My issue is would such a degree in such major be a good addition to my BS in aerospace engineering along with the advantages or just keep going and purse master's in aerospace engineering as well?
(edited 6 years ago)
What do you want to do after your master's?
Reply 2
Original post by Student-95
What do you want to do after your master's?

well, I certainly would like to find a job in an airplanes related industries and get promoted as years go by till I become the CEO or the top head of such a company, so can I do that if I pursue masters in air transport management along with my BS in aerospace engineering or can I still achieve such position as well if I do MS is aerospace engineering like my BS? Does the degree matters?
Reply 3
Original post by sameh2471
well, I certainly would like to find a job in an airplanes related industries and get promoted as years go by till I become the CEO or the top head of such a company, so can I do that if I pursue masters in air transport management along with my BS in aerospace engineering or can I still achieve such position as well if I do MS is aerospace engineering like my BS? Does the degree matters?

The degree matters if you want to be an engineer. And some engineers progress through management to becoming a CEO...

If you want to be an engineer do an MSc in Aero.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Greetings,
I am a holder of a bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, and I am considering a master's degree in Air-transportation management at Coventry University. My issue is would such a degree in such major be a good addition to my BS in aerospace engineering along with the advantages or just keep going and purse master's in aerospace engineering as well?

Get yourself a job in the aerospace industry. Experience is everything.
Graduate development programmes will give you a flavour of different departments and roles.

Everyone starts at the bottom and must climb the ladder.

Decide which function and department you would like to work. NB this will be dependent on the job vacancies available at that time.
Land the job. Gain experience, increase your performance and on-the-job knowledge to stand out from the competition.

Assess the path through engineering into management. If you have the potential to achieve a senior position, you will need to apply for and be promoted into roles of increasing responsibility.

At some point in the future, you will need to decide if further qualifications will be of benefit to your career and importantly, which qualifications best suit your career aims.

You may also decide management is too much stress and not for you.

There can only be one CEO out of perhaps thousands or tens of thousands of employees in just one company.

One example path to CEO:

Engineering Graduate
Development Engineer
Senior Engineer - Design
Team Leader - Systems Design
Group Leader - Sub-Systems Development
Department Head - Mechanical Engineering
Function Head - Systems Engineering
Divisional Head of Engineering
Director Engineering Programmes
Divisional Managing Director
Corporate Director Defence Systems
Corporate Managing Director
CEO
(edited 6 years ago)

Not too much. Aero will cover more engineering and air transport management will cover more business/management aspects. You have a bachelor's in engineering which will be the requirement for the vast majority of entry engineering roles so you can go into engineering with either. Do you know what role you would want to enter the company in?
Reply 6
Original post by uberteknik
Graduate development programmes will give you a flavour of different departments and roles.

Decide which function and department you would like to work. NB this will be dependent on the job vacancies available at that time.
Land the job. Gain experience, increase your performance and on-the-job knowledge to stand out from the competition.

Assess the path through engineering into management. If you have the potential to achieve a senior position, you will need to apply for and be promoted into roles of increasing responsibility.

At some point in the future, you will need to decide if further qualifications will be of benefit to your career and importantly, which qualifications best suit your career aims.

There can only be one CEO out of perhaps thousands or tens of thousands of employees in just one company.

One example path to CEO:

Engineering Graduate
Development Engineer
Senior Engineer - Design
CEO

Original post by uberteknik

One example path to CEO:

Engineering Graduate
Development Engineer
Senior Engineer - Design
CEO

Thanks for your answer. I assume, according to what you have just said, that MSC in Aerospace Engineering would be the better choice, and with the better future, which could also lead to top managerial positions with the aerospace industry. Am I correct?
Reply 7
Thanks for your answer. I assume, according to what you have just said, that MSC in Aerospace Engineering would be the better choice, and with the better future, which could also lead to top managerial positions with the aerospace industry. Am I correct?

Did you enjoy the BSc in Aero Engineering? If so continue with that area at masters level. i.e pick an MSc you actually want to study. You are overthinking the "managerial" aspect of your education. You work your way up "the ladder" during a career, gaining managerial experience as you go.

You can always do an MBA in 4 or 5 years time, if you want to formalise your management skills.

Few CEOs start their career expecting to become a CEO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest