The Student Room Group

MP reads out list of 100 women killed by men.

Sweet jesus, when is this going to eventually become a non-gender issue in the media and politics?

We've known it's not since the 1960's! I dunno, but stuff like this just annoys me! I find it awfully sad that men killed by their partners are just ignored and the rest are still painted as vicious demons!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-43328402/jess-phillips-reads-names-of-women-killed-by-male-violence

Posting a talk by Erin Pizzey is probably justy going to fan the flames, but hey hoe, listening to the woman who set up the first domestic violence centre for women in the UK is extremely interesting imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUwxxijr3g&t=1s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For once I can understand why barely anyone bothered to turn up to parliament...
Domestic violence is a problem, but I don’t think reading out names is necessarily the best way to deal with it. You could quite easily find lists of men killed by men, women killed by men and men killed by women.
They shouldn't be framing this as one gender vs the other. Men kill men, men kill women, women kill women, women kill men. Domestic violence and murder applies to everyone.

This just makes it seem as though women are somehow more important, or that the male gender is responsible in some way.
I know being offended is a pastime for certain people, but anyone getting annoyed by a woman reading out the names of murdered women has really messed up priorities.
Reply 5
Original post by Dandaman1
This just makes it seem as though women are somehow more important

But they are, which is why we have international women's day. (of course we don't need to celebrate an international men's day, because every day is international men's day. You know, because every day someone stands up in parliament and reads out a list of all men killed... :rolleyes:)
Original post by Sulfolobus
I know being offended is a pastime for certain people, but anyone getting annoyed by a woman reading out the names of murdered women has really messed up priorities.

It's annoying when it's part of the constant feminst effort to make women the centre of everything on issues that affect both men and women.

I don’t think I was getting annoyed. I was mearly stating that I don’t think this is the best way to tackle domestic violence.
It's annoying when it's part of the constant feminst effort to make women the centre of everything on issues that affect both men and women.

It's a simple statistical fact that the vast majority of domestic violence murder victims are women and the perpetrators are men. To argue that is is not a gendered issue is to demonstrate that you are a fantasist.

That is not what is being done here.
It's a simple statistical fact that the vast majority of domestic violence murder victims are women and the perpetrators are men. To argue that is is not a gendered issue is to demonstrate that you are a fantasist.

Domestic abuse really isn't a gendered issue, women may more frequently be the victims, but of the estimated 1.9m victims over 700,000 are male based on the CSEW, it is only when you shift over to looking solely at recorded crime figures that it starts to appear particularly gendered. Interestingly age changes the gender gap, the older men are the more likely they are to be victims, this is also true of women until they're about 30 at which point their chance of being a victim declines.

There are lots of other interesting statistics in this report, including that 13% of the time death of females from domestic violence is almost immediately followed by the suicide of the killer, and that over a quarter of the time that domestic violence prosecutions fail it's either because the victim retracted their accusation, or inconsistent testimony of the alleged victim without retraction. Another nearly 30% is because the alleged victim didn't bother turning up in court.

We also see that of all domestic homicides where the primary suspect is male the victim is more likely to be male than the victim of a female domestic homicide being female. Also that in the two years covered 8 of the 11 instances of a female killing a female were cases of mother killing daughter
Original post by Jammy Duel
Domestic abuse really isn't a gendered issue, women may more frequently be the victims, but of the estimated 1.9m victims over 700,000 are male based on the CSEW, it is only when you shift over to looking solely at recorded crime figures that it starts to appear particularly gendered. Interestingly age changes the gender gap, the older men are the more likely they are to be victims, this is also true of women until they're about 30 at which point their chance of being a victim declines.

There are lots of other interesting statistics in this report, including that 13% of the time death of females from domestic violence is almost immediately followed by the suicide of the killer, and that over a quarter of the time that domestic violence prosecutions fail it's either because the victim retracted their accusation, or inconsistent testimony of the alleged victim without retraction. Another nearly 30% is because the alleged victim didn't bother turning up in court.

We also see that of all domestic homicides where the primary suspect is male the victim is more likely to be male than the victim of a female domestic homicide being female. Also that in the two years covered 8 of the 11 instances of a female killing a female were cases of mother killing daughter

Also the fact that domestic violence for men is a topic that is not really cared for by many and most charities and shelters set up are for women

Would you become offended if a member of parliament stood up and read the names of whites killed by blacks? yeah....people have a right to become "offended" by sexism.

In a world that refuses to hold women accountable for their actions, justifies and trivialises their violence and murders of men and children and treats men the opposite to this, of course statistics will show women to commit less violence than men and men more violence than women. Statistics in our gynocentric world mean diddly-squat.
(edited 6 years ago)
Cookie Butter said -
"Wouldyou become offended if a member of parliament stood up and read the names of whites killed by blacks? yeah....people have a right to become "offended" by sexism."

I was going to post on this but you just knocked it out of the park. 👏
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel

Do you have a source for this please?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do you have a source for this please?

Will The Guardian do?
A while ago they were quoting a figure of 40% of all domestic violence victims are men.

Erin Pizzey in the subject.
https://youtu.be/qAzQg3TtCYE
The general pattern is that both men and women commit domestic violence at similarish rates as far as we can tell.

However, women are much more likely to go to hospital or be killed by it. I guess they should have read out a proportional number of men killed to be non-partisan.

Once you look at violence outside relationships, men are MUCH more likely to be involved.
Women are much more likely to be killed by their male partners, though.
Original post by Just my opinion
Cookie Butter said -
"Wouldyou become offended if a member of parliament stood up and read the names of whites killed by blacks? yeah....people have a right to become "offended" by sexism."

I was going to post on this but you just knocked it out of the park. 👏

Cheers.

Original post by Ella-keturah

How do you know this? You cannot rely on statistics since in this country as with most other countries around the world societies do not hold women accountable for their murders in the same way they do men. In this country the government openly admits to the judicial system being bias and sexist in favour of violent women. Our government celebrates this sexism. In a world like this, can you rely on statistics? you cannot.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ella-keturah

Yes, the impression you get from the media is that the numbers are wildly different, but as Erin Prizzey points out in the clip above two women a week die at the hands of a partner or previous partner and just under one man a week. Not that big a gap.
It is worth noting that of the men killed frequently it is the ex partner in conjunction with her new partner that kills the man.
Every death in these circumstances is a tragedy.

Quick Reply