The Student Room Group

Is it legal for 6th forms to make you pay for exams that are not resits

Is it legal for 6th forms to make you pay for current exams not resits just because you are doing badly in one or two subjects even though your attendance is fine? I have paid for resits already and am in my second year of alevel but it was mentioned that i may have to pay for the a2 exams as well even though i havent sat them yet?
(edited 6 years ago)
What?!?!? never heard of that happening and don't think it is legal
Original post by Zahra_2001
What?!?!? never heard of that happening and don't think it is legal

I know it sucks, especially because the reason im failing is because i spend so much time ill due to a disease, our school is pretty broke though
Reply 3
How did you make it into sixth form? When you can’t spell it, beats me 😂
Pretty sure they're allowed to kick you off altogether then they'd have no obligation to pay for your exam.
Reply 5
It you are an enrolled student then they cannot charge you for exams when you are being taught the specification for them.
Original post by Andrew bennett
I know it sucks, especially because the reason im failing is because i spend so much time ill due to a disease, our school is pretty broke though

awwww I hope u get better!!! the school being broke isn't an excuse they get given money by the government and I think they should pay for your exams. Don't pay them without looking into it.
Original post by Zahra_2001
awwww I hope u get better!!! the school being broke isn't an excuse they get given money by the government and I think they should pay for your exams. Don't pay them without looking into it.

Thank you, ive tried but cant find anything on it.
Original post by Compost
It you are an enrolled student then they cannot charge you for exams when you are being taught the specification for them.

Okay that helps, thank you
Original post by Andrew bennett
Is it legal for sick forms to make you pay for current exams not resits just because you are doing badly in one or two subjects even though your attendance is fine? I have paid for resits already and am in my second year of alevel but it was mentioned that i may have to pay for the a2 exams as well even though i havent sat them yet?

Theres a big difference between "May have to" and "Have to". It hasnt happened yet. If it does then ask them upon what basis and make a complaint.

Compost is an exam officer so just follow what they said.
Original post by Mols333

Let's hope it's an intended pun! 😂
Original post by Compost

I had to pay for exams, on top of tuition fees, when studying A levels evening classes at community college.

16 -17 yr olds in 'sixth form' maybe considered different though :wtf:
Original post by Student-95
Pretty sure they're allowed to kick you off altogether then they'd have no obligation to pay for your exam.

No they cant. It is illegal for a sixth form or college to kick you out based on academic reasons alone.
Original post by Mols333

Damn auto correct 😂

Quick Reply

Latest