The Student Room Group

Computer Science to Mathematics

I’m soon to finish a BEng in Computer Science at Imperial College London. Upon finishing I intend to go into a Second undergraduate degree in Mathematics, and potentially take Mathematics to PhD level. Given that money isn’t a concern, how would employers see this, would they like the two undergraduate degrees, and is a PhD a good idea considering my passion for the subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Viganajvazi1999
I’m soon to finish a BEng in Computer Science at Imperial College London. Upon finishing I intend to go into a Second undergraduate degree in Mathematics, and potentially take Mathematics to PhD level. Given that money isn’t a concern, how would employers see this, would they like the two undergraduate degrees, and is a PhD a good idea considering my passion for the subject?

Why isn't money a concern?

What sort of employers are you seeking to "impress" with this route?

Have you checked with any universities to see if your CompSci BEng is acceptable for a Maths MSc? You could also look at Affiliate Status at Cambridge or Oxford (Senior Status).
Original post by Doonesbury
Why isn't money a concern?

What sort of employers are you seeking to "impress" with this route?

Have you checked with any universities to see if your CompSci BEng is acceptable for a Maths MSc? You could also look at Affiliate Status at Cambridge or Oxford (Senior Status).

Money isn’t a concern because I’ve got enough to pay for the degree, and with a BEng in Computer Science alone I’ll have very good job prospects, as for MSc, I’d be starting from BSci, as in, doing a second degree
Reply 3
Money isn’t a concern because I’ve got enough to pay for the degree, and with a BEng in Computer Science alone I’ll have very good job prospects, as for MSc, I’d be starting from BSci, as in, doing a second degree

You are missing my point. You can probably do an MSc in Maths with a BEng. Your plan is taking a scenic route that isn't needed.

And did you understand the bit about Oxbridge. Senior Status means you can skip the first year of a second degree.

Also, what employers?
(edited 6 years ago)
You are missing my point. You can probably do an MSc in Maths with a BEng. Your plan is taking a scenic route that isn't needed.

And did you understand the bit about Oxbridge. Senior Status means you can skip the first year of a second degree.

Also, what employers?

As said, money is not a concern, which means I’m ok with taking a “scenic route” and would happily spend more time learning. As for employers, make your mind up about the typical professions those with Maths or Computer Science qualifications go into
As said, money is not a concern, which means I’m ok with taking a “scenic route” and would happily spend more time learning. As for employers, make your mind up about the typical professions those with Maths or Computer Science qualifications go into

I think doing another first degree would certainly NOT impress. You need to do a Masters next.
Reply 6

So you want to get a job with Google or similar. You don't need 2 undergrad degrees plus a PhD for that.

But it seems you've set your mind on this approach anyway, so I'm not sure why you are asking...
So you want to get a job with Google or similar. You don't need 2 undergrad degrees plus a PhD for that.

But it seems you've set your mind on this approach anyway, so I'm not sure why you are asking...

Wouldn’t really expect you to understand
Reply 8
Wouldn’t really expect you to understand

Enlighten me then.
Reply 9

I highly suggest doing the machine learning masters that Imperial does, I am doing BEng Software Engineering, second year, I will be doing masters in machine learning in Imperial. Since you are already there, know the staff/etc, it would be perfect. Since you enjoy Maths, there will be lots of Maths involved in Machine learning, and it is where the jobs are and the money right now, and in the up coming years. We cannot be unemployed if we have Bachelors in CS/SE and masters in Machine learning. Unstoppable.

Given that money isn't a concern, become an academic.

Employers, in gerneral, will be concerned about you making the transition to employement after so long in higher edication. A PhD / DPhil may help if there is a need in your area of research.
Original post by Reda2
I highly suggest doing the machine learning masters that Imperial does, I am doing BEng Software Engineering, second year, I will be doing masters in machine learning in Imperial. Since you are already there, know the staff/etc, it would be perfect. Since you enjoy Maths, there will be lots of Maths involved in Machine learning, and it is where the jobs are and the money right now, and in the up coming years. We cannot be unemployed if we have Bachelors in CS/SE and masters in Machine learning. Unstoppable.

Thanks so much! That sounds incredible, and I’ll definitely give it a look. I’m mad for Calculus and it seems there is plenty on the course, will definitely consider it strongly, cheers
Reply 12
Thanks so much! That sounds incredible, and I’ll definitely give it a look. I’m mad for Calculus and it seems there is plenty on the course, will definitely consider it strongly, cheers

When do you graduate? We might join the same masters the same year if you decide to do machine learning in Imperial :wink: I graduate 2019.
Original post by Reda2
When do you graduate? We might join the same masters the same year if you decide to do machine learning in Imperial :wink: I graduate 2019.

I’m in first year! Do I need to do the MEng to switch to MSc Machine learning? Or will the BEng suffice?
Reply 14
I’m in first year! Do I need to do the MEng to switch to MSc Machine learning? Or will the BEng suffice?

No that's just how unis name their degree, it has nothing with it at all. Doesn't matter if you do BEng MSci M or B or whatever lol.
Reply 15

First year? How can you be "soon to finish" it then?

I’m soon to finish a BEng in Computer Science at Imperial College London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
why are you asking if you aren't taking peoples advice?
Original post by Reda2

Completely unrelated, but is it common for students doing a Bsc in mathematics at imperial to do Msc Machine learning.
Was just curious to know the opinion of an imperial student :biggrin:.
I’m soon to finish a BEng in Computer Science at Imperial College London.

I’m in first year!

My son is in his first year of JMC at Imperial. I'm not sure that he'd say 'soon to finish'!

You have over 2 years to see if you like studying as much as you think now :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Rohan77642
Completely unrelated, but is it common for students doing a Bsc in mathematics at imperial to do Msc Machine learning.
Was just curious to know the opinion of an imperial student :biggrin:.

I don't understand.

Quick Reply

Latest