The Student Room Group

should i get paid

When there was heavy snow last week, i had a 6 hour shift at work which i showed up to, I got sent home after 3 hours because customers werent coming in because of the snow, i got paid for 3 hours of work, but seeing as I showed up and commited to do 6 shouldnt i get paid for 6?

Scroll to see replies

No...cause you only worked 3 hours. At least in my opinion you should only get 3
Original post by finorin00
When there was heavy snow last week, i had a 6 hour shift at work which i showed up to, I got sent home after 3 hours because customers werent coming in because of the snow, i got paid for 3 hours of work, but seeing as I showed up and commited to do 6 shouldnt i get paid for 6?

Moved to part time and temporary work
Reply 3
The thing is though your bascially saying it is okay for an employer to change their mind about how many hours they give, your suggesting every working contract should be like a zero hour contract where they can change their mind however they want, mine is a ten hour which is what im entitled to every week so in my opinion its their problem
No, because you worked 3 hours, not 6.
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
No, because you worked 3 hours, not 6.

Yeah but i commited 6 hours out of my day to it which i could have spent doing other things, the law says im entitled to the hours given on the contract, and your kind of thinking basically supports giving managers the right to treat every employee like a zero hour contract
Yeah but i commited 6 hours out of my day to it which i could have spent doing other things, the law says im entitled to the hours given on the contract, and your kind of thinking basically supports giving managers the right to treat every employee like a zero hour contract

Are you contracted 6 hours a week?

No, you only committed 3 hours of your day, not 6, what did you do for the other 3 hours
Reply 8
Are you contracted 6 hours a week?

im contracted 10 hours a week (with another 4 hours shift i did earlier in the week and was paid for fully)
Reply 9
I it was my intention to work today but i didn’t. Should i have gotten paid?

Really?
im contracted 10 hours a week (with another 4 hours shift i did earlier in the week and was paid for fully)

Well, unexpected circumstances occur which means you cannot always work the contracted hours. In which case, I suspect you will just work 3 extra hours another week to make up for it.
Reply 11
Original post by Juvilation
No, you only committed 3 hours of your day, not 6, what did you do for the other 3 hours

No i committed to do 6 hours of the day prior because thats what was planned, the remaining 3 hours i went home and did nothing as I was meant to be working as agreed
I think that you should be paid, yes. Your employer shouldn't be sending you home just because there aren't customers. Give you the option to leave if you wish, sure, but as you said you were booked in for 6 hours, you should be paid for 6 hours.
Reply 13
Well, unexpected circumstances occur which means you cannot always work the contracted hours. In which case, I suspect you will just work 3 extra hours another week to make up for it.

Thats not how it works, i only have to do 10 hours a week...
Yes. As the employer made the decision to send you home, you’re entitled to payment. I am an employment lawyer and have dealt with this issue a number of times this week.

That's what I've done in the past and there's been no problem.
Reply 16
Original post by HateOCR
I it was my intention to work today but i didn’t. Should i have gotten paid?

Really?

I showed up and was willing to work, but my manager decided to have me not do so despite a prior made agreement, with me I dont need this jobs as its only part time, but I have colleagues who have rent to pay and kids to feed so they need guaranteed hours, and its people like you who believe an employer should be able to say at the last minute you wont be able to get paid this week, basically supporting zero hour contracts
Reply 17

Just because you only do 10 hours a week you can still make up for it another week if you want probably since you missed out here.

Aside from that though you did only have to work 3 hours so thats all you should get paid for. It's not their fault that you then wasted your day doing nothing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Bio 7
Just because you only do 10 hours a week you can still make up fornit another qeek if you want probably since you missed out here.

Aside from that though you did only have to work 3 houts so thats all you should get paid for. It's not their fault that you then wasted your day doing nothing.

I wasted my day because I was meant to be working but they said I couldnt work depsite what was agreed prior, and therefore i couldnt make any other plans, and the contract is only for 10 hours, so we have made and agreement i dont have to work anymore then 10 hours, Im shocked by the mentality of people like you who believe and employer should have the right to treat an employee however they want
Also i have other obligations to meet in my life so i cant necesssarily work for more than 10 hours
Reply 19
That's what I've done in the past and there's been no problem.

well your you and im me, i have other obligations to meet in my, you might have time to do extra work but not everyone else does, also 10 hours is what was agreed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending